Help! Immigration issues

Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:10 am
Just Joined

shanico2501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Immigration issues

Hi

Can anyone help? I would love feedback from anyone who can shed a bit of light on this. I have enlisted the services of an immigration lawyer Colin Singer. I am not sure whether anyone has used them before but I am not sure whether am just impatient and want things to happen NOW but I am struggling to try to find employment from the UK. My husband is in the construction field(Drywall Installer) and we have sent loads of emails to prospective employers but to no avail. does anyone know of any other way that we can go about getting a job offer?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Immigration issues

Originally Posted by shanico2501
Hi

Can anyone help? I would love feedback from anyone who can shed a bit of light on this. I have enlisted the services of an immigration lawyer Colin Singer. I am not sure whether anyone has used them before but I am not sure whether am just impatient and want things to happen NOW but I am struggling to try to find employment from the UK. My husband is in the construction field(Drywall Installer) and we have sent loads of emails to prospective employers but to no avail. does anyone know of any other way that we can go about getting a job offer?

Hi there,

Read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and you'll soon discover what you're doing wrong! Just sending emails is highly unlikely to result in anything - even if he was in an occupation in demand it still probably wouldn't work, Canadians like personal contact so he needs to ideally get over there or at the very least, pick up the phone. Most people on this forum have got job offers by going over there in person and making contact.

Out of interest, why have you employed a consultant? He can't help you get a job anyway (that would be illegal), and I assume you're aware that the TWP form is only 2 pages long? Just intrigued to know why you'd pay somebody to fill in a 2 page form for you!!

Good luck.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:59 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As it stands there is no way you can apply to immigrate to Canada until you have a job offer from a Canadian employer. A Drywaller is not one of the listed occupations for the Skilled Worker class unfortunately. I'm a bit perplexed therefore as to why you have appointed an immigration lawyer when you are not yet in a position to make an application. However...

My recommendation to you is that you telephone or visit prospective employers rather than relying purely on email. They will tend not to take you seriously and Canadian employers prefer personal contact rather than email in my experience. If you wish to send me an email I will be happy to forward you a copy of a 9-step job hunting in Canada guide which I wrote.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

shanico2501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Help! Immigration issues

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi there,

Read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and you'll soon discover what you're doing wrong! Just sending emails is highly unlikely to result in anything - even if he was in an occupation in demand it still probably wouldn't work, Canadians like personal contact so he needs to ideally get over there or at the very least, pick up the phone. Most people on this forum have got job offers by going over there in person and making contact.

Out of interest, why have you employed a consultant? He can't help you get a job anyway (that would be illegal), and I assume you're aware that the TWP form is only 2 pages long? Just intrigued to know why you'd pay somebody to fill in a 2 page form for you!!

Good luck.
Well to be honest I had no idea that the form was only two pages long! I only employed them because as part of their service they promise to get you atleast one job offer. I thought as they are based in Canada and i am in England the chances of them finding me a job would be much easier than me trying to do it from over here. It seems that I am going to get stung...again.

I welcome your comments because I have applied with my CV and there has not been any responses. I now know why. I will have a look at the wiki section and then get an idea of area that is best suited to my pofession. Do you think that before hand it is wise to call some prospective employers an let them know that Iwill be coimng over and possibly arranging a meeting with them?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well to be honest I had no idea that the form was only two pages long! I only employed them because as part of their service they promise to get you atleast one job offer.
Then they are probably breaking the law. It is illegal in most Canadian provinces for anybody to charge you (the employee) anything for getting you a job, or even putting you in touch with prospective employers. They are only allowed to charge the employer by law. Have a read of this for more info.................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Employment_Agencies'_Fees

And yes, it's a two page form. The LMO application is more involved, but your employer has to do that anyway.

Do you think that before hand it is wise to call some prospective employers an let them know that Iwill be coimng over and possibly arranging a meeting with them?
Once you've read the Wiki, you'll realise that that is exactly the approach that is recommended. It's all detailed in their so grab a cuppa and get reading!

Good luck.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Do a search on here for Colin Singer. There are some posters who have used his services.