Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help! I have IEC permit & Job Offer. My partner doesn't. What happens next...???

Help! I have IEC permit & Job Offer. My partner doesn't. What happens next...???

Old May 30th 2013, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Blurns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! I have IEC permit & Job Offer. My partner doesn't. What happens next...???

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this has been covered but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I would be extremely grateful for any help! (Sorry if it's a bit long winded).

My common law partner and I are currently living in B.C. (Vancouver) here on holiday permits. I have an IEC permit which I'm ready activate as soon as I receive a job offer. I'm expecting an offer next week then I'll do a border run to the states. she was too old for the IEC programme unfortunately.

Long term I realise there are two routes for us to work permanently - LMO and PNP. I understand the PNP process is cheaper (for me and employer) and faster. I also understand that my common law partner would be eligible to appear on my permit and gain a permit that way.

I've looked through all the PNP forms and process... http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/im...e-Process.aspx It goes:

1 - Apply to PNP BC
2 - Assuming I am accepted I receive a letter of acceptance (work permit support letter). I understand this is currently taking 2-4 months.
3- Apply to CIC including the PNP letter.
4 -?What happens now is where I'm confused...

So my questions are:

Will my partner and I be issued with a temporary permit while our application is assessed at the CIC? Will this be issued immediately?

If not, how long is it likely to take to receive a work permit? At this point it is likely that I will only have 8 months left of my IEC permit and my partner will have been out of work the whole time. Not ideal!

Am I missing something? Is there any other, better, way to get a permit for my partner and I? I believe my prospective company is likely to be very helpful if that helps.

Finally, is it worth contacted a lawyer to speed up things?

Thanks all!
Old May 30th 2013, 10:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I have IEC permit & Job Offer. My partner doesn't. What happens next...???

Originally Posted by Blurns
Hi All,

I'm not sure if this has been covered but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I would be extremely grateful for any help! (Sorry if it's a bit long winded).

My common law partner and I are currently living in B.C. (Vancouver) here on holiday permits. I have an IEC permit which I'm ready activate as soon as I receive a job offer. I'm expecting an offer next week then I'll do a border run to the states. she was too old for the IEC programme unfortunately.

Long term I realise there are two routes for us to work permanently - LMO and PNP. I understand the PNP process is cheaper (for me and employer) and faster. I also understand that my common law partner would be eligible to appear on my permit and gain a permit that way.

I've looked through all the PNP forms and process... http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/im...e-Process.aspx It goes:

1 - Apply to PNP BC
2 - Assuming I am accepted I receive a letter of acceptance (work permit support letter). I understand this is currently taking 2-4 months.
3- Apply to CIC including the PNP letter.
4 -?What happens now is where I'm confused...

So my questions are:

Will my partner and I be issued with a temporary permit while our application is assessed at the CIC? Will this be issued immediately?

If not, how long is it likely to take to receive a work permit? At this point it is likely that I will only have 8 months left of my IEC permit and my partner will have been out of work the whole time. Not ideal!

Am I missing something? Is there any other, better, way to get a permit for my partner and I? I believe my prospective company is likely to be very helpful if that helps.

Finally, is it worth contacted a lawyer to speed up things?

Thanks all!
1) Find a full time, permanent job with a qualifying company who will sponsor you, get a contract
2) Apply for BC PNP (approx 2-3 months for processing)
3) On acceptance from BC PNP - letter of support
4) Go to the border (flagpole) with your PNP acceptance / letter of support, Contract (and cash) and request a TWP. Your partner should be able to request an Open work permit
5) Submit (within 6 months of PNP acceptance) an application for PR

No need for a lawyer unless you feel that there are complications with your application... feel free to ask any questions on the forum!

Old May 30th 2013, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Help! I have IEC permit & Job Offer. My partner doesn't. What happens next...???

Wow, that sounds awfully simple! The PNP website says nothing about gaining a TWP using their letter. How confusing!!!
Old May 30th 2013, 11:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that sounds awfully simple! The PNP website says nothing about gaining a TWP using their letter. How confusing!!!
A friend of my sons came over on an IEC last year, moved out to BC and found a job and put in for BC PNP (as a carpenter) in late January; he was accepted for PNP towards mid April and drove to the border and obtained a 2 year TWP on the back of his PNP nomination approval letter (he didn't have a support letter).

Provided you can find a company who are qualified to sponsor you for PNP, it is 'relatively' simple.

Old May 31st 2013, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Ok. That sounds relatively simple!

In regards to my partner, it looks like she may have found some employers who are interested in her also. Whether it's me who goes for pnp (with her as a dependant) or we both do it separately am I right in thinking that she won't be able to work until BC gets back to us with a PNP approval letter? i.e. she can't work for 2-4 months.

Is there no other way in which she could gain a TWP? She's in healthcare - occupational therapist and it sounds like there are positions available.

What is the process of doing LMO? Is it likely that would provide a TWP for her any faster?
Old May 31st 2013, 4:00 pm
Banned

Ok. That sounds relatively simple!

In regards to my partner, it looks like she may have found some employers who are interested in her also. Whether it's me who goes for pnp (with her as a dependant) or we both do it separately am I right in thinking that she won't be able to work until BC gets back to us with a PNP approval letter? i.e. she can't work for 2-4 months.

Is there no other way in which she could gain a TWP? She's in healthcare - occupational therapist and it sounds like there are positions available.

What is the process of doing LMO? Is it likely that would provide a TWP for her any faster?
If your partner is in health care it makes it slightly more difficult in as much as they will require a medical before being able to get a TWP. She will also probably need to get her credentials assessed before being allowed to work in that field as it is a regulated profession. More information here: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/professi...ce_display_301 and here: http://www.cotbc.org/Registration/In...pplicants.aspx and here: http://www.gocanadaot.com/en

As for length of time for LMO's, I would suggest reading through this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787292

Neither of you would be able to work without a TWP - and in the case of PNP, until you are able to obtain approval.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 31st 2013 at 4:02 pm.
Old May 31st 2013, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks.

Yeh, she's sitting an exam in July to allow her to become registered. Employers have said that so long as she's supervised then she can be classed as pre-registered which would qualify her to work if she has a permit.

She will need a medical though. Does that take long?

I have a 1 year International Experience Canada (IEC) visa so I can work staight away. It's my partner that needs a TWP. Which looks like it will take 2-4 months to obtain approval.

Alternatively, if I've read some other site correctly then she may be able to get a TWP with only a Job offer and medical exam as she's a US citizen (and British). Under NAFTA she can avoid having an LMO carried out (time consuming). I realise this is 'Britishexpats' but does this sound right? i.e. Get offer, get medical exam, go to border, get TWP?
Old May 31st 2013, 4:45 pm
Banned

Hi,

Thanks.

Yeh, she's sitting an exam in July to allow her to become registered. Employers have said that so long as she's supervised then she can be classed as pre-registered which would qualify her to work if she has a permit.

She will need a medical though. Does that take long?

I have a 1 year International Experience Canada (IEC) visa so I can work staight away. It's my partner that needs a TWP. Which looks like it will take 2-4 months to obtain approval.

Alternatively, if I've read some other site correctly then she may be able to get a TWP with only a Job offer and medical exam as she's a US citizen (and British). Under NAFTA she can avoid having an LMO carried out (time consuming). I realise this is 'Britishexpats' but does this sound right? i.e. Get offer, get medical exam, go to border, get TWP?
I believe if she applied using her US passport she can avoid the LMO part, but please check on the CIC and HDRC websites.

As she needs a medical, I believe she would have to apply before she comes to Canada - I don't believe she can do this at the border. I believe CIC would send her the medical forms, but again, please check the CIC website. The medical itself only takes a couple of hours (including xrays, blood tests etc.,) however, it may take a couple of weeks to obtain an appointment and then she would have to wait for CIC to give her clearance.