Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HELP, I cant find a visa that suits my requirements

HELP, I cant find a visa that suits my requirements

Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

dondon1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP, I cant find a visa that suits my requirements

Hi,

I am looking for a bit of help and advise. My partner and I are looking to start a new life in Canada. We have friends who already stay outtheir and they realy want us to join them. Problem is, neither me or my partner have skilled jobs, I have no family that can sponsor us and my partner is 35 so we do not qualify for a working visa. Can anyone shed any light on how we can do this.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP, I cant find a visa that suits my requirements

My suggestion would be getting some qualifications so you can get a skilled job. If you intend to stay you will need the points from these qualifications anyway for the Federal Skilled Worker PR route. Canada's immigration system is mostly based around skills and family in Canada. If you have neither of these it's unlikely you'll be able to migrate there.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Which province do you want to go to, what do you both do, what education do you have, etc?

If you can give us some more info then somebody may be able to suggest something. The SW visa is only one route (out of approx 50) so there are plenty of options - don't worry if you don't qualify as a SW. Study permit (partner of person on study permit gets open work permit), PNP programs or getting a job are ways that many people get around not being eligible as SW's.

And welcome to the forum btw.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The SW visa is only one route (out of approx 50) so there are plenty of options - don't worry if you don't qualify as a SW.
What are the other 49? (PNP, study, spousal sponsoring, AEO, CEC I know of)

I get what FSW cat1 means but what is cat2 and cat3.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
What are the other 49? (PNP, study, spousal sponsoring, AEO, CEC I know of)

I get what FSW cat1 means but what is cat2 and cat3.
Each PNP program has several different routes, plus investor, entrepreneur, self employed, family class, etc. All adds up to over 50 routes to a visa.

Cat 2 is for people with arranged employment, cat 3 was for people that had spent a year in Canada on a study permit or work permit, but that category was removed back in June so is no longer an option.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

We have qualifications, obviously not what their looking for though. I have been in travel for the past 11 years and my boyfriend has had various jobs and hold a HGV license, which i have been told is helpful.

It is Ontario we are looking to go to.. I am new to all this so im not sure about all the jargin. I know we can support ourselves over their and I can get a guaranteed job in my friends hotel to start off with.

I really dont know where to start though.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:48 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dondon1981
Hi,

We have qualifications, obviously not what their looking for though. I have been in travel for the past 11 years and my boyfriend has had various jobs and hold a HGV license, which i have been told is helpful.

It is Ontario we are looking to go to.. I am new to all this so im not sure about all the jargin. I know we can support ourselves over their and I can get a guaranteed job in my friends hotel to start off with.

Thanks
Hi
Perhaps consider coming over on a study permit then - it would get you over here whilst learning something new to get you into a new skilled trade?!
Worth considering I'd say for you guys. Have you had a look on the NOC code list? http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...chKeyword.aspx - have a look at the different jobs available and see what suits/possible opportunities. Also check which skilled NOC are deemed as shortages at the moment, could be a foot in the door if you want to study for that shortage!? Time for some good bedtime reading.....
Good luck!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:11 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
That may help if provinces are still looking for drivers, although the economy ( I know, yawn yawn) may have put a dampner on that.

If you have a look, there is a trucking sub section to the forum, scout around there and see if it's possible to get taken on by a trucking company.

There's also an English test everyone has to take too
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi,

Thanks
What exactly do you do in travel? Your friend may be able to help with the job offer, but they'd have to get an LMO for you first so not sure if that would be possible?

Possible to get a LMO as a truck driver, although I believe much more difficult than it used to be. If you've got kids it's not ideal as you're tied to that one employer and it's only a temp visa, but better if you're without responsibilities. Plus of course you won't get to choose your destination, you'll just have to go wherever your OH can find a job so are unlikely to be able to move to ON.

The two things that come to mind are either a study permit (so one of you goes on a study permit, the other gets the open work permit, plus the person on the study permit can work part-time) which you can then upgrade to PR at a later date.

Or consider another province such as NS or MB where there are PNP programs that you don't need a certain job, or a job offer, to get PR.

Have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) if you want clarification on any of the above points, and to understand the immigration process.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Im a travel agent, always have been. to be honest its the only think i really want to do. I can work in my friends bar/hotel for the summer but things will get quieter in the winter so i will need something more permanet.

We idealy need to be in ontario, my friend in western canada says i should call a company called edge, but as you say they can send you anywhere.

Thanks

Donna
x