Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

help... how to prove intent to move, any experts.....

help... how to prove intent to move, any experts.....

Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default help... how to prove intent to move, any experts.....

Hi
Just in the hope someone in this side of the forum might know,
My wife had our spousal application returned from mississuaga with the following :-

' You are presently residing outside Canada......
Provide proof of your intention to live in canada....'

Everything else is OK .........

The problem is my wife ( canadian born ) is a home maker ' at present, so proof of submitting resignation to employer is not possible, and we have not arranged any rented accommadation yet, as we don't know when we can land.

Our house sale here (UK) , provides the funds for our purchase & move to canada ....
How did anyone else prove how they intend to live in Canada ??

Any suggestions welcome....
We have to return the form to them within 90 days.
Help ..
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:30 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help... how to prove intent to move, any experts.....

If you are applying and know that spousal process takes less than 6 months then you must have made some plans, research, etc. regarding all aspects of your not so distant move to Canada. Show evidence of it. If you haven't done and/or documented anything then your wife's intentions are quite justifiably in doubts and no wonder that application was returned.

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
My wife had our spousal application returned from mississuaga with the following :-

The problem is my wife ( canadian born ) is a home maker ' at present, so proof of submitting resignation to employer is not possible, and we have not arranged any rented accommadation yet, as we don't know when we can land.

Our house sale here (UK) , provides the funds for our purchase & move to canada ....

Help ..
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 17th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

Would a Notarized letter of intent to relocate to Canada once PR granted be of any use. How about any relatives from Canada that could vouch for you in a notarized letter??

all my wishes for a positive outcome are yours Karma sent to you hang in there.

Island Girl
Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:34 pm

The declaration of intentions (preferably in the form of Statutory Declaration) is a must anyway when sponsor resides outside Canada. But declaration of intentions in itself proves nothing. There must be evidence of making plans, research and serious preparations for not so distant move. Anyone who wants to move to another country for good makes preparations several months if not a year in advance - and evidence of such preparations is what CIC wants to see.

Originally Posted by Island_Girl
Would a Notarized letter of intent to relocate to Canada once PR granted be of any use. How about any relatives from Canada that could vouch for you in a notarized letter??

all my wishes for a positive outcome are yours Karma sent to you hang in there.

Island Girl
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Many thanks , seems we missed the obvious...
I thought the spending of a considerable sum , getting passports for the four kids & canadian citizenship for them ( all applied for about a year ago ) would have proved we are serious about moving.
I will turn out some of my old info / research and send this , hopefully it will convince them.
Must admitt it all seems a bit strange , I have spent loads of time & money on the application and visited our eventual ( hopefully) destination for two weeks fact finding.
Fingers crossed next time .....
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

ijstewart is on a distinguished road

We too have applied via the sponsorship route and are still awaiting a decision about approval to sponsor. Like you my only concern is providing evidence to return to Canada. We included the statutory declaration of our intentions to return and I included some job searchs and housing searches which I still don't know if it will be sufficient. I have heard before that you should have all of this evidence but how can you do all of this when you are not certain that you are going to be approved. It is an awful big risk to take to start selling houses, buying new ones etc and then get rejected!! We have now been waiting 69 days so I am starting to get a little worried. How long did you have to wait to get the letter re:more information? Best of luck with the new info.

Hi All,
Many thanks , seems we missed the obvious...
I thought the spending of a considerable sum , getting passports for the four kids & canadian citizenship for them ( all applied for about a year ago ) would have proved we are serious about moving.
I will turn out some of my old info / research and send this , hopefully it will convince them.
Must admitt it all seems a bit strange , I have spent loads of time & money on the application and visited our eventual ( hopefully) destination for two weeks fact finding.
Fingers crossed next time .....
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:44 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

I am Canadian and my husband English. I sponsored him although I also am a home maker and can only sponsor him if he gives me the money to do so! The only evidence of settlement we sent was a letter from my Uncle in Canada saying we could stay with him until we found our own accommodation and letters from my family in the UK to say we had a longstanding relationship and also a financial statement. Nothing else was sent or asked for, and I have lived in the UK for over 50 years! My husband is retired and we said that we hoped to move to Canada, stating which areas we had looked at and where we hoped to settle, in September 2006.

Hope the above helps.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We just receveived our letter for approvel to sponsor. It took a while but we got it.
I sent a declaration in the matter of intent to reside in Canada, a rental agreement that i filled in with my father, a letter of my plans to get resettled in canada, a few online job inquires, job applications ( all refused because I couldn't give a start date of course, but at least it showed CIC i was looking, which I was) I think that's all I had, and the approved; however, it did take much longer then the usual 41 day, and I think that may be because they would have liked to have seen more documentation. I don't know what else to suggest except to send as much as possible. Good luck to you!

Hi

Help ..
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 18th 2006, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi All,
Many thanks for the replies/comments.
The forms being returned took us a bit by suprise , after being processed 17-12-05, then finally being sent a letter 13-03-06, but it arrived fast in the post.
Busy now trawling thro' my internet links for the relevant sites, e-mails etc and piecing together the research material we have acquired.
So it's fingers crossed and a re submission sometime next week.
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 18th 2006, 7:12 pm
TFI
Forum Regular

TFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really nice
Angry Re: help... how to prove intent to move, any experts.....

OK, for evidence of her intent to move, my wife is including the following in addition to the statutory declaration:

1. A 'letter of intent' - stating that she intends to sever ties with the UK and reside exclusively in Canada.

2. A letter from her current employer stating that they have accepted her resignation effective Nov 30th 2006 as she will be returning to Canada.

3. A letter from a relative in Canada, stating that she is storing a number of our personal belongings and furniture, also stating that she will be helping us find accommodation before we make the move.

4. A letter listing all her close friends and family in Canada who have agreed to be contacted by CPC to vouch that she is returning to take up residence.

5. Quotes from various shipping companies, for moving our home Contents from the UK to Canada

6. Copies of the Cover letters and Résumés she has sent to prospective Canadian employers. (we have heard nothing back) Hopefully these will be as good as a job search, as a search is kind of hard to show, (I mean what, do ya just print off a couple of pages of search results from Canadajobs.com, and call it proof of a search?)

Any ideas what else we could send? we are down to the wire and want to mail this on Monday.

Last edited by TFI; Mar 18th 2006 at 7:14 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TFI
OK, for evidence of her intent to move, my wife is including the following in addition to the statutory declaration:

1. A 'letter of intent' - stating that she intends to sever ties with the UK and reside exclusively in Canada.

2. A letter from her current employer stating that they have accepted her resignation effective Nov 30th 2006 as she will be returning to Canada.

3. A letter from a relative in Canada, stating that she is storing a number of our personal belongings and furniture, also stating that she will be helping us find accommodation before we make the move.

4. A letter listing all her close friends and family in Canada who have agreed to be contacted by CPC to vouch that she is returning to take up residence.

5. Quotes from various shipping companies, for moving our home Contents from the UK to Canada

6. Copies of the Cover letters and Résumés she has sent to prospective Canadian employers. (we have heard nothing back) Hopefully these will be as good as a job search, as a search is kind of hard to show, (I mean what, do ya just print off a couple of pages of search results from Canadajobs.com, and call it proof of a search?)

Any ideas what else we could send? we are down to the wire and want to mail this on Monday.
Hiya ,
As we are getting desperate for proof .......
We are including the information of getting our dog all jabbed up for the journey ( rabies, etc ) , in with all the things for proof we can find as suggested ...
Seems real hard trying to find how to prove intent.
(our bills alone for kids canadian passports & citizenship, I thought, would have been enough)
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:24 am

Fact of spending money on kids Canadian passports is irrelevant and proves only that you were willing to spend money to give kids Canadian citizenship and options to use when they want to. It doesn't prove any intention to move on part of sponsor.

Same with dog stuff - you need to do it even if going on vacation....

Hiya ,
As we are getting desperate for proof .......
We are including the information of getting our dog all jabbed up for the journey ( rabies, etc ) , in with all the things for proof we can find as suggested ...
Seems real hard trying to find how to prove intent.
(our bills alone for kids canadian passports & citizenship, I thought, would have been enough)
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 19th 2006, 10:55 am
TFI
Forum Regular

TFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really niceTFI is just really nice
Angry Re: help... how to prove intent to move, any experts.....

Okay, here is an additional question, we have gathered the evidence of ‘intent’ as stated in our above posts, but I’m paranoid that it won’t be enough. Now it seems that some people get away with nothing more than a letter detailing their plans and others are asked for a mountain of proof.

Exactly how do they reach a final decision on ‘intent’ I mean if my wife had no intent to move, why would we waste the money applying. Do they really think that people who have been married and lived together in excess of 5 years would concoct a ‘master plan’ to apply for PR so that the Brit born spouse could move to Canada and the Canadian could stay by herself in the UK?

There must be some definitive ‘cut off point’ a bare minimum of information that will suffice to prove intent to move, could the CPC perhaps post it on a freaking website to save sending back applications to genuine families like the Brewers and causing them more months of waiting, so you could at the very least be sure you had met the minimum requirements for proof of intent before you mail in the app.

My wife is even considering sending a letter stating that she only moved to the UK in 2004 to be with me as I was under a one year exclusion for an overstay, neither she nor her kids (both born in Canada also) like it here and want to go home, I don’t know if this would help?

Bearing in mind we are renters, we don’t own a home in the UK or Canada, what other info can we send in addition to the previous list, which will put her approval to sponsor ‘over the edge’ so to speak.

Last edited by TFI; Mar 19th 2006 at 10:57 am.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:37 pm

There is no minimum or any cut-off point. Each case is unique and each sponsor usually have made plans and done preparation to move back to Canada in his or her own way. It is the overall picture of submitted evidence that substantiates (or not) claimed intentions to return to Canada.

And you have no idea how many Canadians living abroad for various reasons (sometimes completely stupid reasons) are trying to get Canadian PR for their spouses/partners without having any intention to return to Canada. CIC will not take claims on their face value anymore.

Originally Posted by TFI
Okay, here is an additional question, we have gathered the evidence of ‘intent’ as stated in our above posts, but I’m paranoid that it won’t be enough. Now it seems that some people get away with nothing more than a letter detailing their plans and others are asked for a mountain of proof.

Exactly how do they reach a final decision on ‘intent’ I mean if my wife had no intent to move, why would we waste the money applying. Do they really think that people who have been married and lived together in excess of 5 years would concoct a ‘master plan’ to apply for PR so that the Brit born spouse could move to Canada and the Canadian could stay by herself in the UK?

There must be some definitive ‘cut off point’ a bare minimum of information that will suffice to prove intent to move, could the CPC perhaps post it on a freaking website to save sending back applications to genuine families like the Brewers and causing them more months of waiting, so you could at the very least be sure you had met the minimum requirements for proof of intent before you mail in the app.

My wife is even considering sending a letter stating that she only moved to the UK in 2004 to be with me as I was under a one year exclusion for an overstay, neither she nor her kids (both born in Canada also) like it here and want to go home, I don’t know if this would help?

Bearing in mind we are renters, we don’t own a home in the UK or Canada, what other info can we send in addition to the previous list, which will put her approval to sponsor ‘over the edge’ so to speak.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:02 am
TFI
Forum Regular

Red face Re: help... how to prove intent to move, any experts.....

I found it, one last piece of actual legal evidence that my wife will be severing ties to the UK and moving to Canada. We paid the fees and mailed our app today but just before we sealed the envelope we thought of this: as CPC will see from the photocopies sent with application, my wife and her children are granted right to enter and reside in the UK only as family members of an EEA National (ME), however, as stated in CHAPTER 2 of the EUROPEAN DIRECTORATE INSTRUCTIONS, If the EEA National leaves the UK (which I will once I receives Canadian PR status) neither my wife nor her children would have a right of residence in the UK (unless she had a child under 19 in full time education, which she does not) and she would be legally bound to leave the UK and return home to Canada.

We included a letter explaining this as well as a copy of CHAPTER 2 of the EUROPEAN DIRECTORATE INSTRUCTIONS.

I hope this will be acceptable as proof that when I receive PR status and move to Canada, not only does my wife intend to go with to resume residence, she is legally bound to as she would not be able to remain in the UK if I left.

Note, this method of proof is only of use to EEA Nationals who are residing in the UK with a Canadian spouse, luckily I am a Dual British/Irish citizen so this route was open to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.