Help for a friend please?!

Old Jan 23rd 2017, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Nymeria is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Help for a friend please?!

Hey guys,

Me and my friend have both been in Canada (both British) on WH Visa's since 2014, and we are due to return home this September.

We renewed our visas in Sep 2015 by flagpoling when we got accepted for 2 more years here on the IEC programme.

However, when we went to the border, my friends visa was only renewed until March of this year as that is when her passport was due to expire. The border officer told her that once she got her new passport (which she did in June 2016) then she could simply get her visa extended to September of this year on her new passport.

Is this the case? As I've read that it cannot be extended on some sites, but then some sites say you can just flagpole again and get the visa extended at the border.

Please help as there is lots of conflicting information and we are super worried she won't be able to extend.

Thank you!
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for a friend please?!

Originally Posted by Nymeria
Hey guys,

Me and my friend have both been in Canada (both British) on WH Visa's since 2014, and we are due to return home this September.

We renewed our visas in Sep 2015 by flagpoling when we got accepted for 2 more years here on the IEC programme.

However, when we went to the border, my friends visa was only renewed until March of this year as that is when her passport was due to expire. The border officer told her that once she got her new passport (which she did in June 2016) then she could simply get her visa extended to September of this year on her new passport.

Is this the case? As I've read that it cannot be extended on some sites, but then some sites say you can just flagpole again and get the visa extended at the border.

Please help as there is lots of conflicting information and we are super worried she won't be able to extend.

Thank you!
As far as I know when your IEC Visa expires, that's it and you must leave the country. There is no extension permitted or you'd be contravening the intent of the visa.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
As far as I know when your IEC Visa expires, that's it and you must leave the country. There is no extension permitted or you'd be contravening the intent of the visa.
Seriously?! That's so annoying that the border officer told us that it would be possible to extend

There's no way we can apply for an extension through CIC maybe?

Anybody know of any possible way? I'd hate to think that she'd have to leave in March and I'd have to stay alone or cut my time short. It would be horrible for her to have to go
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 7:31 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
1. Not right, the OP's friend can apply for an extension up to the maximum with a letter of explanation, the copy of the LOI and the new passport with the fees.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Not right, the OP's friend can apply for an extension up to the maximum with a letter of explanation, the copy of the LOI and the new passport with the fees.
Oh thank heavens. I've been looking around for the link but I'm finding a couple of different application form. Is there a certain one we should be looking at? Thanks so much for your help!