Wikiposts

Help with forms please!

Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default Help with forms please!

Hi all.

Well as most of the documents have now been gathered and copied, I thought I would begin completing some of the forms we downloaded. I have a few questions though. Forgive me if they seem basic or stupid, but I'm sure you all understand I want to get it just right!

The forms are from canada.org.uk and I'm applying through London.

1 - Country of Citizenship....England, United Kingdom or Great Britian?
2 - Country of Passport Issue....as above; which do you say?

3 - Marital status of kids under 18 (form for additional family information). Do I type single, unmarried, not married, under age or what is best?

Any other tips for form-filling. I hope to get some more done this evening!
Thanks,
Rob
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help with forms please!

I've just spotted something else I'm not sure how to answer.

On the Summary form for London it asks "is this your first passport?"

What does that mean? My first passport was due to expire 5 years ago, so I had it renewed. Does that mean this is my 2nd passport?

What about my wife who had her name changed when she married me? Is hers a 1st or 2nd passport?

Thanks again,
Rob
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

1. UK
2. UK
3. Single

Edit: no idea about passports...!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
1. UK
2. UK
3. Single

1. UK (there is no such thing as 'English' citizenship or an 'English' passport).

2. Depends on the context. If they are looking for place of issue, it may be different if the passport was issued by a British diplomatic mission overseas, as opposed to the UK Passport Service.

Jeremy
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:49 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabrol
Hi all.
3 - Marital status of kids under 18 (form for additional family information). Do I type single, unmarried, not married, under age or what is best?

------

What does that mean? My first passport was due to expire 5 years ago, so I had it renewed. Does that mean this is my 2nd passport?

What about my wife who had her name changed when she married me? Is hers a 1st or 2nd passport?
Re: unmarried children - I'd just put 'single', 'married', 'separated' or 'divorced' as the case may be (and even if they're too young to have ever been married then I'd simply put single without any further comment).

Re: number of passports - on the basis of what you write I'd say that this is not your first passport (do you have to say which passport number it is or simply whether or not it's your first passport?). For your wife, I'd say that it depends whether she was issued with a new passport when she changed her name or whether an observation was simply entered in the existing passport to the effect that she had changed her name. I'd guess the former, so then this would not be her first passport since her new passport would have been a different physical entity with a different passport number. If the latter, then I'd say it was the same passport as before.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

I have just filled out my forms and I put UK for Country of Citizenship and Great Britain for Country of Issue of Passport. I used my passport for this info as this is the approach the forms indicated. Have I filled the forms in incorrectly? I can amend them before I post if I have made an error. These sorts of questions I really struggle with as technically I think I am both a resident of GB and the UK?????

rgilbert

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
1. UK
2. UK
3. Single

Old Nov 6th 2005, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rgilbert
I have just filled out my forms and I put UK for Country of Citizenship and Great Britain for Country of Issue of Passport. I used my passport for this info as this is the approach the forms indicated. Have I filled the forms in incorrectly? I can amend them before I post if I have made an error. These sorts of questions I really struggle with as technically I think I am both a resident of GB and the UK?????
This is where things don't quite make sense you see.

I live in a country called England. Great Britain is not a country, it is a collection of countries called "The United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland", or UK or Great Britain for short.

Yet my nationality is British. The passport was issued by the UK Passport Authority in England, but at the top it states Great Britian and Northern Ireland or something like that (I'm at work so can't ckeck details).

Rob
Old Nov 7th 2005, 12:45 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't know that I would worry too much about 'Great Britain' or 'United Kingdom', although United Kingdom is incontestably correct. (Great Britain is really a geographical term, referring to the island that contains the mainland of England, Wales and Scotland, so pedantically speaking it is not correct). I'd be surprised if an application was rejected on that basis, though.

The United Kingdom is a country, made up, if you like, of two kingdoms, a principality and a province. People who are citizens of that country are, for a variety of (recent) historical reasons, called 'British citizens'.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 1:18 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CPW
I really don't know that I would worry too much about 'Great Britain' or 'United Kingdom', although United Kingdom is incontestably correct. (Great Britain is really a geographical term, referring to the island that contains the mainland of England, Wales and Scotland, so pedantically speaking it is not correct). I'd be surprised if an application was rejected on that basis, though.

The United Kingdom is a country, made up, if you like, of two kingdoms, a principality and a province. People who are citizens of that country are, for a variety of (recent) historical reasons, called 'British citizens'.
FWIW, The United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland, Great Britain does not.
I put England and English on my application and i got the nice shiny PR stamp without any problems
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Anyone got anything further to comment on this? Still not 100% sure about this...what did others fill in?

I've just spotted something else I'm not sure how to answer.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

Hi Rob

I'd say your wife is on her second passport. I got married this year and that is what I counted it as.

You have renewed yours so I would say that is your second too.

HTH

Kaz x

Anyone got anything further to comment on this? Still not 100% sure about this...what did others fill in?