Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help filling out Sponsorship Forms

Help filling out Sponsorship Forms

Old May 4th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

duncanspilaweller is on a distinguished road
Default Help filling out Sponsorship Forms

Hi,

I am Canadian and currently filling out the 'Application to Sponsor and Undertaking' form to sponsor my English partner of 3 years to gain permanent residency in Canada. We met in Australia 3 years ago and travelled together for 2 years. then my partner came to Canada for a year where we lived in an apartment and shared bills etc.

I am stumped on one of the questions (which may seem kind of dim) about marital status. The question reads:

Your marital Status - and lists Never Married, Married, Widow etc etc etc. and then Common-Law and has a box for 'date relationship started'.

Do i tick the Common-law box and enter the date we met in Australia or do i tick 'Never Married'?

The 'b' part of the question says ' do you have a conjugal partner?'. Do i tick yes and fill in the dates we lived together here or tick no and move on to the next question?

The whole confusion comes in when if i fill in the common-law box it appears to suggest that i have a partner already and i am trying to sponsor someone as a common-law partner somewhere else.

My head hurts and i hope you can understand this.

Thanks,
Alaina
Old May 4th 2009, 5:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help filling out Sponsorship Forms

Originally Posted by duncanspilaweller
Hi,

I am Canadian and currently filling out the 'Application to Sponsor and Undertaking' form to sponsor my English partner of 3 years to gain permanent residency in Canada. We met in Australia 3 years ago and travelled together for 2 years. then my partner came to Canada for a year where we lived in an apartment and shared bills etc.

I am stumped on one of the questions (which may seem kind of dim) about marital status. The question reads:

Your marital Status - and lists Never Married, Married, Widow etc etc etc. and then Common-Law and has a box for 'date relationship started'.

Do i tick the Common-law box and enter the date we met in Australia or do i tick 'Never Married'?

The 'b' part of the question says ' do you have a conjugal partner?'. Do i tick yes and fill in the dates we lived together here or tick no and move on to the next question?

The whole confusion comes in when if i fill in the common-law box it appears to suggest that i have a partner already and i am trying to sponsor someone as a common-law partner somewhere else.

My head hurts and i hope you can understand this.

Thanks,
Alaina

Hi,

I've never filled out the form so can't say for definite, but 'common-law' and 'conjugal' are both different relationship statuses defined on the CIC website. I'm assuming that you are applying to sponsor her as your common-law spouse, so that's what you'd need to tick.

Common-law is when you have lived together for at least one year continuously, and conjugal is for people in a serious relationship who have been unable to live together for a valid reason (i.e. facing political persecution if they do, etc).

So assuming you are sponsoring under the common-law category, you'd tick that and give the date you started living together I guess.

You'll then be required to provide proof of living together for at least one year in a 'marriage like' relationship i.e. joint utility bills, joint bank account, insurance in both names, wills naming each other as beneficiaries, etc.

Hope that helps a bit.