Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

help with extending visitor status

Wikiposts

help with extending visitor status

Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:03 am
Just Joined

cjfraser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help with extending visitor status

Hey everyone,

I'm just trying to find out some information about extending my boyfriend's visitor status. He's been here 6 months to the day now and we have obviously left it very late but are going to send the extension application off online today.

My question is mainly concerning proof of financial support. As he has been here for 6 months on a temporary visa he hasn't been able to work. He is dependent on me and this is fine, we are able to support ourselves as we are. However the application requests proof of financial support and I'm unsure if I should just send my bank statements and make a note that he is dependent on me or how I should go about this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks a bunch!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help with extending visitor status

Not sure he can extend his visitor status this late can he, thought you had to do it at least 30 days before it expires?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:37 am
Just Joined

cjfraser is an unknown quantity at this point

on the immigration website it says he can avoid extra fees and his status expiring if he applies today. After today it says there's an extra fee and he can still apply for 90 days.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not sure he can extend his visitor status this late can he, thought you had to do it at least 30 days before it expires?

CIC "suggest" you apply 30 days in advance, the Regulations state that your application only has to be received before you current permit expires, i.e. at least 1 day before.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:52 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cjfraser
on the immigration website it says he can avoid extra fees and his status expiring if he applies today. After today it says there's an extra fee and he can still apply for 90 days.
Hi cj,

If you leave it until after today his status as a temporary visitor will have expired. However, he will then have up to 90 days to apply to re-instate his status as a temporary visitor but he will have to pay $200 CDN in order to do this.
He will also have to explain on the application form why his current visitor status had expired.

If I were you I would get that application in pronto!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:05 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leggy969
Hi cj,

If you leave it until after today his status as a temporary visitor will have expired. However, he will then have up to 90 days to apply to re-instate his status as a temporary visitor but he will have to pay $200 CDN in order to do this.
He will also have to explain on the application form why his current visitor status had expired.

If I were you I would get that application in pronto!
Oh and by the way, Im in exactly the same boat as your OH. I sent my application to extend back in Sept, a full 60 days before my TR status expired. By the time I had a reply from CIC I was 5 days over my initial 6 months.
The letter was a refusal because they claimed I had filled out the forms incorrectly(which I hadn't), but that I could reapply with the correct information. After a very long phone call the outcome was that they insisted I had not sent the right information initially. I was left with the only option of paying the $200 applying to re-instate my status.

With regards to providing proof of means of support, all we did was get my fiance to write a letter stating that she was supporting me, and sent copies of her last 6 months payslips.

That was all sent early Dec and as the current processing time for mailed paper applications is currently 118 days, we are still awaiting the outcome!

Hope this is of help.