Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help with Electrical Qualifications and Immigration

Help with Electrical Qualifications and Immigration

Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Beks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Electrical Qualifications and Immigration

Hello this is my first post in this forum.

Recently I started seriously thinking of immigrating to Canada. I started my research about Canadian immigration but not sure what's the first step. I've tried to google for Canadian immigration lawyer in London but seems not many, although managed to speak to one of them who seemed not competent to me (makes lots of promises and sounds like immigrating to Canada is so easy)
I'd like to hear some advices and tips from you and assess my chances

So,

I'm 31,
I'm fully qualified sparky (qualified in 2008 working on self employed basis since then, registered as an approved contractor with Niceic, and obviously registered with hmrc I mean with the taxman)
Never taken ielts, so I don't know what the score would be
Qualifications: level 2&3 City and Guilds electrical installation, C&G initial verification, C&G Periodic inspection and testing, NVQ lvl 3, JIB gold card, niceic approved supervisor.
Also, I've got about £25k savings

Please share your thoughts, I need a starting point

Thank you
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Electrical Qualifications and Immigration

Information for Trade Qualifiers / Red Seal
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Beks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Robski366 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Beks,

I am in a similar situation so please find below my understanding.

Bottom line if you get a job offer then your chances increase hugely

I believe you are to old for the young persons scheme but someone may correct me.

You need to look into the Tradesecrets - Home (or the appropriate state body) to get your credentials recognised, It was a bit of a battle being self employed as I didn't have a series of employers to go to but I got there in the end.

Once recognised you can work under supervision until you pass your exam. If you can get a work visa.

Or you can sit the exam (known as red seal) , however in Alberta you need an endorsement from a registered electrician. Once you have the exam you can apply for PR. I am told that in BC you don't need an endorsement but have to sit a practical.

I went on a course with the Electrician - ACE Trades and Technical Institute | ACE Trades and Technical Institute (let me know if you are interested as I can send you more info and get a referral discount).

Some people can do it by reading the Canadian regs and study materials 2015 Canadian Electrical Code, Part I | ShopCSA. Really just depends on what type of learner you are.

I do not believe and please tell me if I am wrong that you can get vocational training recognised to contribute towards your points for Permanent Residence.

There is quite a lot of info on this site but you have to hunt for it.

Any questions let me know otherwise I could be writing for hours and it not be relevant.

Rob
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robski366
Bottom line if you get a job offer then your chances increase hugely
Yep, although note it has to be a job offer and LMIA/PNP to get the extra points.

I believe you are to old for the young persons scheme but someone may correct me.
Assuming you mean the IEC visa program? If so, then yes, the cut off age for UK citizens is 30.

Once you have the exam you can apply for PR.
Or a job offer - provincial certification isn't needed if you have a job offer.

I do not believe and please tell me if I am wrong that you can get vocational training recognised to contribute towards your points for Permanent Residence.
You can, assuming it's a 'proper' vocational program i.e. an apprenticeship.

HTH.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Robski366 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the clarifications christmasoompa,

Just a question on ECA's, WES threw my NVQ level 3 back at me when I submitted it to them so if you know a body that will recognise it please let me know.

Thanks
Old Nov 12th 2016, 1:59 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarifications christmasoompa,

Just a question on ECA's, WES threw my NVQ level 3 back at me when I submitted it to them so if you know a body that will recognise it please let me know.

Thanks
NVQ is not recognised.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
NVQ is not recognised.
It can be, depending on what the subject is etc. Others have had NVQ Level 3's successfully equated to diplomas for ECA's, OP have a search but I've got a feeling it is ICAS that has given ECA's for NVQ's in the past? But a quick search of the forum should tell you.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

From the various forums I read WES seem to be the harshest critics of foreign qualifications.