Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Christian/Hindu marriage VALID???

HELP!! Christian/Hindu marriage VALID???

Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

gardengirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!! Christian/Hindu marriage VALID???

>
> How are you all doing??.I am a Christian Canadian lady,who
> went to India and got married to a Hindu man from
> Gujarat state...We decided to have a very simple
> wedding ceremony,because this was my husbands second
> marriage..He had gotten his divorce decree from
> India courts,so that is all fine and good..Our
> simple ceremony was conducted by a priest,and also
> there was one lawyer there..We said our vows to each
> other,and then exchanged our wedding rings..This was
> a very informal and simple ceremony,so we had not gotten any photos of it,and then after the simple
> ceremony we then went to the district registrar of
> marriages,along with the priest,and the one lawyer
> and registered our marriage under The Bombay
> Registratons of Marriages Act 1953(1954) in his
> district registrar office...Then we recieved a
> Memorandum of Marriages certificate from the
> registrar person who registered our marriage on that
> day..Then a few days later,we had a very beautiful
> reception with 25 of family and friend members who
> attended,and we did a few tradtional ritues
> there,,one being
> the exchanging of the wedding garland to each
> other..We have lots of photos of our reception done
> by a photgrapher..It was quite eleborate,in a big fancy hotel banquet room,,with tons of fancy food,,and all the trimmings..
> Now my question is this...I am a christian lady,and
> my husband is hindu..I have applyed to sponsor my
> husband to come to Canada to be with me...But the
> visa officer at New Delhi had refused his
> application for permanet residence to Canada,because
> she said that because i am a Christian lady,and my
> husband is Hindu,that it is not a valid marriage
> because sence we did not solmize our marriage
> according to The Hindu Marriage Act 1955,,then it
> was not valid..The visa officer is impying that all
> Hindu persons have to get married under The Hindu
> Act..We registered our marriage under The Bombay
> Registerations of Marriages Act 1953 (1954)...and
> done our marriage according to those rules..This act
> is going in Gujarat state..We did not register our marriage under The Hindu Marriage Act 1955,,because of course i am Christian,,and my husband is Hindu..Our Marriage Memorandum certificate that was issued at the local registrar's office has been registered under The Bombay Registration of Marriages act 1953/1954..Can anyone on this forum please tell me,if
> our marriage is valid in the eyes of India
> there..??..or your thoughts on this....Thank you so very much in information
> that you can provide me with,,,,Yours Truly...Gardengirl
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:13 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Christian/Hindu marriage VALID???

one thing I know is that Christians are not a part of the Hindu Marriage Register and therefore cannot be considered for a Hindu Marriage under the Act.
You will have to consult a lawyer for this in Canada!

By the way, howz your appeal doing?? did you get a date for the appeal and if yes, how long after you submitted the appeal, did you get your hearing date?
Good Luck!!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amancharan
one thing I know is that Christians are not a part of the Hindu Marriage Register and therefore cannot be considered for a Hindu Marriage under the Act.
You will have to consult a lawyer for this in Canada!

By the way, howz your appeal doing?? did you get a date for the appeal and if yes, how long after you submitted the appeal, did you get your hearing date?
Good Luck!!
Hi Amy..How are you??..My appeal is one week from today,,so 9 months from the day i applyed i have my appeal hearing..
You know Amy,,there are so many different marriage acts in India as you already know..We did not register our marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955..I mean if we would of tryed to do that,,then the registrar person would of said no to us..We had a lawyer with us on that day,,and the priest even went to the registrar office with us ,so he could sign in front of the registrar person..On the back of the Marriage Mememoradum it states that the register of marriage maintained under The Bombay Registration of marriages Act 1953..There is serial numbers,,and also the signature of the registrar,,and the govermeent stamp also on it...I mean if this was seen as a Hindu Marriage certificate,,wouldnt it have The Hindu Marriage certificate,,would it say maintained under the hindu marriage act 1955,,on the back of it..Do you know any person who has gotten married under this bombay marriage act there??..
So how are you doing in the land of Maple anyway??..I soppose you are feeling the cold set in are you,,,Soon time for your wife to go out and buy you some new long john underwear..lol..or maybe you are already wearing them there..lol..just joking...Have a nice day there..Garden
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:43 am

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Hi Amy..How are you??..My appeal is one week from today,,so 9 months from the day i applyed i have my appeal hearing..
You know Amy,,there are so many different marriage acts in India as you already know..We did not register our marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955..I mean if we would of tryed to do that,,then the registrar person would of said no to us..We had a lawyer with us on that day,,and the priest even went to the registrar office with us ,so he could sign in front of the registrar person..On the back of the Marriage Mememoradum it states that the register of marriage maintained under The Bombay Registration of marriages Act 1953..There is serial numbers,,and also the signature of the registrar,,and the govermeent stamp also on it...I mean if this was seen as a Hindu Marriage certificate,,wouldnt it have The Hindu Marriage certificate,,would it say maintained under the hindu marriage act 1955,,on the back of it..Do you know any person who has gotten married under this bombay marriage act there??..
So how are you doing in the land of Maple anyway??..I soppose you are feeling the cold set in are you,,,Soon time for your wife to go out and buy you some new long john underwear..lol..or maybe you are already wearing them there..lol..just joking...Have a nice day there..Garden
I dont know anyone who has gone thorugh that Lily....I would only suggest you to get in touch with a canada-based lawyer, who is aware of Indian Acts!

As far as the cold is concerned, i am still wearing my normal underwear;might need it later on
I have gotten well settled; landed up a with good job and now i have a little baby too! so, life has been good so far!
I hope that your husband gets here soon Hope for the best..!!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amancharan
I dont know anyone who has gone thorugh that Lily....I would only suggest you to get in touch with a canada-based lawyer, who is aware of Indian Acts!

As far as the cold is concerned, i am still wearing my normal underwear;might need it later on
I have gotten well settled; landed up a with good job and now i have a little baby too! so, life has been good so far!
I hope that your husband gets here soon Hope for the best..!!

Hey Amy..Wow..you are a fast worker in the baby making department..he..he..Really thaT is so nice that you have a little one there already..I can imagine you and your wife are so very happy..I mean a new life together,in a new country for you,,and now a beautiful new little baby..

I do have a very good immigration lawyer helping me with my appeal here..But even still,i am always trying to get more,and more information from where ever i can get it..These immigrations forums are great..So much information one can get from other people...
Anyways,,i hope you are having a great day there.....Say..Gewww...Geww..Geww...to your sweet little baby for me..lol..Lily
Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Hey Amy..Wow..you are a fast worker in the baby making department..he..he..Really thaT is so nice that you have a little one there already..I can imagine you and your wife are so very happy..I mean a new life together,in a new country for you,,and now a beautiful new little baby..

I do have a very good immigration lawyer helping me with my appeal here..But even still,i am always trying to get more,and more information from where ever i can get it..These immigrations forums are great..So much information one can get from other people...
Anyways,,i hope you are having a great day there.....Say..Gewww...Geww..Geww...to your sweet little baby for me..lol..Lily
i will