Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Help, can I apply for Permanent Residency now?

Help, can I apply for Permanent Residency now?

Old Jun 21st 2013, 4:57 am
British European at heart

Arewemad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help, can I apply for Permanent Residency now?

Hi all,

I am really hoping someone here can help are little family!!!

We have been in Vancouver now since January, my husband on a study visa and me on a SOWP. About a month ago I was offered and am now working in a permanent job as a cook. I understand that on my current visa I can apply for the FSWP with an arranged job offer (please correct me if I'm wrong!!). My main problem is, I didn't work as a cook in the UK and had an intentional change of career on arriving in Canada, after doing some part time courses here. Would it be expected that my past experience was in the same job as my permanent job here in Canada? Just for reference it was at the right NOC level just in Administration!!

If this is a no go, I know I can apply for a CEC visa after a year of experience here. In order to get this experience I will need to apply for an extension to my current visa. Is it still possible for me to get a SOWP once my husband gets a post graduate work permit? I have heard there has been a few problems obtaining visas for spouses!!

Sorry to be long winded, we just really don't want to go back to the UK now we're here!!

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.....
Old Jun 21st 2013, 5:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, can I apply for Permanent Residency now?

Originally Posted by Arewemad
Hi all,

I am really hoping someone here can help are little family!!!

We have been in Vancouver now since January, my husband on a study visa and me on a SOWP. About a month ago I was offered and am now working in a permanent job as a cook. I understand that on my current visa I can apply for the FSWP with an arranged job offer (please correct me if I'm wrong!!). My main problem is, I didn't work as a cook in the UK and had an intentional change of career on arriving in Canada, after doing some part time courses here. Would it be expected that my past experience was in the same job as my permanent job here in Canada? Just for reference it was at the right NOC level just in Administration!!

If this is a no go, I know I can apply for a CEC visa after a year of experience here. In order to get this experience I will need to apply for an extension to my current visa. Is it still possible for me to get a SOWP once my husband gets a post graduate work permit? I have heard there has been a few problems obtaining visas for spouses!!

Sorry to be long winded, we just really don't want to go back to the UK now we're here!!

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.....
Are you certified as a cook? If you are, then I believe you could apply under the BC PNP stream now, provided your employer is willing and able to sponsor you.

http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/im...spx#occupation

Otherwise, you could apply under FSW2 (with job offer).

You would apply for PR and once approved you could apply for a bridging open work permit on the back of the Provincial nomination or Federal approval (depending on which stream you applied to).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf

Qualifying foreign nationals currently in Canada who have submitted an application for permanent residence (PR) under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and who meet program eligibility requirements (see OB 485 issuedDecember 14, 2012), may be considered for a bridging open Work Permit (WP) if their current WP will soon expire.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2012/ob485.asp

Your husband could possibly also apply for PR under the post graduate stream.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 21st 2013 at 5:42 am.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:39 am

Thank you, thats great news!!

Not a certified cook yet, so PNP is out, but if you think me having previous experience in a different job area isn't a problem, FSW2 it is!!

Bring it on, now to gather work references and get my qualifications assessed..... :-)
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by siouxie
Are you certified as a cook? If you are, then I believe you could apply under the BC PNP stream now, provided your employer is willing and able to sponsor you.

http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/im...spx#occupation

Otherwise, you could apply under FSW2 (with job offer).

You would apply for PR and once approved you could apply for a bridging open work permit on the back of the Provincial nomination or Federal approval (depending on which stream you applied to).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf

Qualifying foreign nationals currently in Canada who have submitted an application for permanent residence (PR) under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and who meet program eligibility requirements (see OB 485 issuedDecember 14, 2012), may be considered for a bridging open Work Permit (WP) if their current WP will soon expire.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2012/ob485.asp

Your husband could possibly also apply for PR under the post graduate stream.

1. The employer will be required to obtain a LMO if the OP wants to apply under FSW2, as a SOWP is NOT an international agreement. From CIC.

3. You currently:

do not have a work permit, or
do not plan to work in Canada before you get a permanent resident visa.

OR

are working in Canada and a different employer has offered to give you a permanent full-time job,

OR

are working in Canada in a job that is exempt from a Labour Market Opinion, but not under an international or federal-provincial agreement, and an employer has made you a permanent job offer based on you being accepted as a skilled worker,

AND

The employer has a positive Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The employer will be required to obtain a LMO if the OP wants to apply under FSW2, as a SOWP is NOT an international agreement. From CIC.

3. You currently:

do not have a work permit, or
do not plan to work in Canada before you get a permanent resident visa.

OR

are working in Canada and a different employer has offered to give you a permanent full-time job,

OR

are working in Canada in a job that is exempt from a Labour Market Opinion, but not under an international or federal-provincial agreement, and an employer has made you a permanent job offer based on you being accepted as a skilled worker,

AND

The employer has a positive Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC.
Thank you PMM for clarifying

She would also need a full year of experience before applying so I don't think that FSW2 is going to be her best choice of stream to apply under.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen....asp?q=697&t=6
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:14 am

I just about to come online and confirm that statement PMM when I realised you had both replied. Have they changed this recently?

Do either of you know whether I am likely to get an extension on my SOWP when my husband applies for his Post-Graduate work permit? This way I will get enough work experience to apply for the CEC class......

If not, this sucks, and we have wasted a lot of money just to go flying back to Britain!!!

Thanks for all your help......
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:44 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Arewemad
I just about to come online and confirm that statement PMM when I realised you had both replied. Have they changed this recently?

Do either of you know whether I am likely to get an extension on my SOWP when my husband applies for his Post-Graduate work permit? This way I will get enough work experience to apply for the CEC class......

If not, this sucks, and we have wasted a lot of money just to go flying back to Britain!!!

Thanks for all your help......
1. Your SOWP ends when your spouse graduates. When he gets a job on his PGWP, the employer would have to give him a reference letter outlining his job duties. His PGWP work permit has to be NOC A, B or O and then you can apply for another SOWP>