Wikiposts

Help with Alberta PNP Form

Old Nov 14th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help with Alberta PNP Form

I am filling out the Alberta PNP form (ABPNP 003) and I would really appreciate if you could help me with few questions.

A. Personal Information
14. Country of Last Permanent Residence: ???
(I am a citizen of Nepal and only other country I have lived is the US and I am on a work visa here)

C. Occupation and Education
4. a. Total years of education: ???
(highschool = 12 yrs, BS = 4 years, MA = 2 yrs, MS = 1 yr. When add them all, it comes 19 years, but not sure if I can add years from two master's degrees)

6.a. Total years of employment: ???
(I have been working in IT field since Jan of 2000, which gives me about 9 years, but some of those years were part-time. I have over 6 years of full-time equivalent if I convert the part-time hours to full-time equivalent. Do I answer with 9 years OR 6 years?)

7. Language Ability
I know basic French and if I marked "Basic" on reading, speaking and writing, are they going to make me take the French language test to prove that or can I submit a certificate from French Language school and two French classes that I have taken while a undergrad student?

Thank you so much for your time.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice
Default Re: Help with Alberta PNP Form

You do not state if this in the Alberta Family Stream or otherwise, but here is what I would put, since it is factual and accurate:

A. Country of Last Permanent Residence:
Nepal

C. 19 years

6a. Write 6 years, and add (full time equivalent) i.e. in parentheses

7. Fill in "basic" since this is truthful. You can submit proof of language courses, and I doubt a language test will be required. Ability in French is not important in Alberta.

Last edited by Ron Liberman; Nov 14th 2008 at 4:03 am. Reason: Grammar
Old Nov 14th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Mr. Liberman,

I really appreciate your time and answer. I am applying under H1B Strategic Recruitment Stream (it's a new program for people who are working in the US under certain work visas and one of them is H1B).

Going back to years of education, I would like to get some clarification. Don't you think they are asking the normal length of the courses when they ask the total years of education. In that case, my MS degree is a 2-year course, but I finished it quick as I already had another master's degree and I was able to transfer some classes. I feel like may be my answer should be 20 instead of 19. I do not think it will matter much, but want to get this thing right.

Thanks.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

The Alberta PNP is a good option for persons on H-1(b) since their aim is to help you immigrate quickly.

Presumably Alberta are expecting the actual number of years of study as opposed to the usual number of years of study required, which would be the same as in the Federal Skilled Worker case. In a Federal Skilled Worker application it can actually be a disadvantage to have completed your degree quickly, since the legislation only allows you to be awarded points at a level consistent with your actual years of study i.e. if you completed a Master's Degree and have a total of 15 years of study the points awarded would be less than if you had completed your Masters in 17 years! If you actually studied for 19 years and not 20, I would be accurate and write 19 years and not 20. In this case, I do not believe having 1 year less will work to your detriment anyway and it is the honest thing to do.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again Mr. Liberman. Yes, Alberta has done a wonderful thing for people like me. I am very thankful for that. I hope they will accept me and I can move there sometime middle of next year.

There is a reason why I asked you to clarify the years of education answer. I should have included this on my last post, but wanted to keep the message short. Anyway, we have 10+2+3 educational system in Nepal. You complete 10 years which is highschool, you go to junior college which is 2-year course and then you start bachelor's degree, which is 3-year course. I only did 10+2 in Nepal. But the 2-year course took me 4 years to complete as I kept failing (my priorities were elsewhere at that time). It took me 14 years to finish highschool equivalent which is normally 12 years long. I do not think I can or should claim 14 years as normal lenght of highschool is 12 years. That is why I was thinking if I need to answer 20 or even just 18 as the highest degree I have is master's and it normally takes 18 years to finish.

Thanks.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

No, I really do think you need to fill in your actual number of years of study. Since you need to fill in the Federal application forms also, you will need to be consistent with those forms. From the Federal Schedule 1 Form you complete, it may be readily apparent to the visa officer that it took you longer to complete school than usual. Once again, I would not worry about it - just be factual.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again. You meant I should mention that I finished highschool in 14 years instead of 12? That will give me total 21 years instead of 19.

I looked at the Schedule 1 form and at #10. Education section, it asks for the breakdowns of the years of education.

Elementary/Primary: 5 yrs
Secondary/ high school: 9 yrs (instead of 7 years normal time)
University/college: 4 years
Trade school or other post secondary school: 3 years

Total = 21 years.

Am I getting it right? Just to let you know that I am not trying to hide or exaggerate something here. All I am trying to do is mention my years of education the right way. In fact, the level of education was not one of the requirements and I am not claiming any points for it anyway. Thanks.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

maximpouska is an unknown quantity at this point

hello

the first answer:

A. Country of Last Permanent Residence:
Nepal

that can not be correct

because Want2Move is now more the 1 year in USA or is he living in Nepal ?

his Country of Last Permanent Residence: USA

maxim
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Well ... NO.

Having been admitted to the US as an H-1(b), he is only a temporary resident there. That is one of the main motivations for someone in his situation to use the Alberta PNP i.e. so he can obtain permanent residence ... in Canada.

Regarding the other question perhaps I am starting to sound like a record that has been played many times now - however it seems to me Want2Move has it right now.

Last edited by Ron Liberman; Nov 15th 2008 at 5:20 am.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr. Liberman,

Thank you again.

maximpouska, Mr. Liberman is right. I cannot say I am a permanent resident of the US as I do not have a greencard here. I am on work visa and that is a temporary status. Thank you.