Help and advice wanted!

Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

NBJW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help and advice wanted!

Hi all,

I sent my cv to a place advertising ********** and I recieved a guaranteed job offer with guaranteed 2yr work permit.

It just sounds too good to be true. All they want is copies of passport, qualifications and a cheque for $625 for my work permit. I have attached two of the six forms they sent by email and want me to attend a talk on everything. I have been on the net and they seem legit? They dont want any money before I attend the talk. Obviously YOU have to be careful dont you,as I am fully aware this could be some sort of scam.

They also add that the company who has offered me a job can sponsor myself for PR and it could take between 6-9 months.

What does anybody think?, Please help or has anyone heard of this company.

Clairmont Mechanical ltd in Surrey Bc.

CLAIRMONT MECHANICAL CONTRACTING lTD.
313.8352- 130th Street, Surrey, B.C. V3W 8J9 Tel (604) 502-8800 Fax (604) 502-8002. [email protected]
January 05, 2008
N W, c/o Jobs in B.C. #312-1755 Robson St. Vancouver, V6G 3B7. B.C.
Dear Sir,
Offer of Employment
It is with great pleasure to offer you a full-time position within our Company as a Journey-man Plumber.
Details of your employment are as follows:
Position: Full-time position as a Journeyman Plumber
Remuneration: Your hourly rate will be $25.00 plus 4% holiday pay. The first payday will be the 2nd Friday after you start and every Friday thereafter. There will be an initial probationary period of up to 3 months for training and orientation to Canadian systems, at the rate of $22.50.
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday 7.5 hours per day for a 35 hour week. Longer hours may be possible.
Duties: -Ability to read blueprints and drawings: -Install Plumbing systems to projects including as follows:
-ABS Plastic systems: -PVC Plastic systems: -Cast Iron systems: -Copper piping systems:
-Soldering: Brazing: -Ability to mentor apprentices: -Learn and follow the Clairmont Work Safe practices and policies:
Other: You will be required to provide your own hard hat, steel-toe workboots, rain gear and hand tools. Clairmont will provide larger power tools required. You are required to provide your own transportation to the job site.
Benefits: We offer a full benefit package, paid in it’s entirety by Clairmont on your behalf. This package includes Dental Care, Life Insurance, extended Medical Health. This package does not replace the Provincial Medical Services Plan.
The Company philosophy is to promote from within whenever possible. We welcome you to our organization and look forward to long and mutually beneficial relationship.
Sincerely,
Douglas, Witzel, President

PLUMBING-HVAC-GAS-SPRINKLERS
Attached Files
File Type: doc
JOB ACCEPTANCE FORM.doc (26.5 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by NBJW; Jan 6th 2008 at 6:36 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:15 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and advice wanted!

hmmm it looks good. Have you actually spoken to somebody at the company (Clairmont)? I don't know if it is normal to have to send $625 up front to a recruiting company for your work permit? We didn't go that route.

I'm sure somebody will post soon who actually knows how these things work.

Cautious congratulations!

NB you might wish to delete your name from the letter if you can still edit?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply.

Have edited name from letter thanks,although probably too late.

They said they dont want any money for the job offer. They want $625 for a 2 yr WP only. They stress that there is no fee for the job offer!

Looking on CIC web site the fe for a 1yr WP would be $150 so a two yr WOULD BE $300, is this right??? If so, they would be charging for getting me the job wouldnt they?

Its still cheaper than anyone else u.k or Canada! And if the do what they say they can do ie, PR its worth a try heh??

What do you think?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NBJW
Thanks for your reply.

Have edited name from letter thanks,although probably too late.

They said they dont want any money for the job offer. They want $625 for a 2 yr WP only. They stress that there is no fee for the job offer!

Looking on CIC web site the fe for a 1yr WP would be $150 so a two yr WOULD BE $300, is this right??? If so, they would be charging for getting me the job wouldnt they?

No, the fee for a workpermit is $150 and that is regardless if it is 1,2 or 3 years. ALso, it is the immigration officer at the brder who issues this workpermit and my understanding is that you pay the fee there.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks ,

So they are charging for their services. I imagine this is still very cheap, yes?

Any advice is always greatly recieved.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks ,

So they are charging for their services. I imagine this is still very cheap, yes?

Any advice is always greatly recieved.
A recruitment company should charge the company hiring you and not you.

Read the wiki.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As I've just posted on another thread, it would be worth establishing whether there is any eligibility for a work permit in the first place. Same goes for permanent residence.

For example, it's complicated in Canada for tradesmen who are "qualified by experience" and don't have formal trade certificates.

Then there's the question of the long wait for federal skilled migration, and whether this can be fast-tracked through arranged employment or the provincial immigration program. Bottom line is that job offer in itself won't do.

Start at http://www.cic.gc.ca
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jaj,

I am time served and qualified and have documents to verify.

I am not quite sure what you meant. Would yo explain in layman?

Cheers for all advice.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jaj,

I am time served and qualified and have documents to verify.

I am not quite sure what you meant. Would yo explain in layman?

Cheers for all advice.
A job offer on its own is not enough grounds for acquiring work permit. You need an LMO as well unless your NOC code is listed in occupations under pressure.

As JAJ said - read the CIC website and also read the wiki. I get the impression you haven't done your legwork first so you're not entirely up to speed on how things work.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi Please read and tell me what you think.

Dear Nigel,
With reference to your application for position of Plumber. We attach a Job Offer from Clairmont Mechanical Contracting Ltd. one of the longest-established Commercial Plumbing Companies in Greater Vancouver.
The hourly pay of $25 plus benefits is approximately worth £20+ per hour in the UK in the equivalent purchasing power, due to the discretionary cost of living being lower in suburban Vancouver than in many parts of the expensive UK. This comparison is a personal opinion and your actual living costs will depend on your own spending habits and life-style. Higher rates of pay are possible if you prove your skills and competency on-the-job and overtime is possible. Your initial hourly rate for the first 3 months training and probationary period will be $22.50. (NB: Converting Dollars into Pounds at the current exchange rate to try calculate your earnings is meaningless and is only relevant if you have to send money back to the UK, to pay a mortgage &/or to support a family, which we do not recommend financially. If you’re married we encourage you to bring the entire family to make it work for you.)
The Job Offer is full-time employment on a 2-yr temp. work permit and is not a contract. You have the option for fast-track emigration, as your Employer is willing to sponsor you for permanent residency, enabling you to become a self-employed sub-contractor on price work. Lots of work and a real shortage of good Plumbers.
Income tax rates are: 1st $10,000-none: up to $36,000-15%: $37,000-76,000-22%. Other deductions are for unemployment insurance, health care, vacation pay, pension plan, etc. all similar to the UK. Canada Health Care, is based on the National Health Service and is available after 3 months. So arrive with Visitors Health Insurance.
This position is offered on a 1st-COME, 1st-SERVED basis, as the number of vacancies and work permits are limited from Trade to Trade and Employer to Employer. You have until FRI. JAN. 25 2008 to either:
1. ACCEPT the ‘Job Offer’ by completing & returning the JOB ACCEPTANCE FORM and/or
2. REGISTER for ‘Seminar’ by completing & returning the JOB SEMINAR REGISTRATION FORM
FAILURE TO DO ONE OR THE OTHER WILL RESULT IN THE JOB OFFER BEING WITHDRAWN
NOTE: If you accept the ‘Job Offer, we invite you to attend a Seminar, in which case complete BOTH forms. __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
Mailing Address: Jobs in B.C. #312 -1755 Robson Street, Vancouver, BC Canada V6G 3B7
Phone: 001.604.684.7344 • e-Fax: 001.360.351.1113 • e-Mail: ********@telus.net
The CURRENT approximate time-line for a pre-approved bulk ‘Labour Market Opinion Confirmation’ (LMO) is as follows: Steel Fixers: Roofers: Plasterers: Carpenters: Dryliners: Metal Stud: 1-2 Months: (ie: March-April). Plumbers: Painters: Bricklayers: Platers: Machinists: 2-4 Months: (ie: May-June). Generally speaking, confirmations for these Trades are available as per the dates stated. There are some exceptions. Once we receive the Job Offer acceptance and fee, we will submit your name and date of birth in order to secure your individual ‘LMO’ confirmation number (Immigration Canada at Vancouver airport will then issue your actual work permit on arrival-& your partners too, if applicable). No need for you to contact the Canadian High Commission in London.
So as soon as I give you your ‘LMO’ confirmation number, you can fly-over anytime to suit, on a one-way ticket, on any airline. No medical exams are required, but if you have a past criminal history you need to contact me to discuss.
Our cost to you for processing and securing you the 2-year temporary work permit through the Government of Canada is $650 payable by VISA OR MC. (or £325 if you pay by British Cheque or Money Order, payable to ‘**********’). There is NO CHARGE for securing you employment.
Within the next 60 days (sooner the better) and before you depart the UK, we must receive: 1. Detailed CV 2. One or two Employment or Customer references if self-employed 3. Copies of any Trade Certifications ( if available and applicable) 4. Copy of your passport data page. If you fail to send, we can’t proceed further.
If you are married or have a common-law spouse, she can secure an open-work permit allowing her to work for any Employer. Plus your children can secure Student visas and attend school at no cost.
One final benefit to this package is your Employer is willing to sponsor you and your family for permanent residency in Canada. ie: emigration. This means you will no longer be a temporary worker but will be able to remain permanently in Canada and be able to work for any Employer or become a self-employed sub-contractor on price-work. The normal time-period for securing permanent residency via a Skilled Worker programme is 4 YEARS but via a job sponsorship it will take about 6-9 months. Fees will apply, but a SPECIAL DISCOUNT RATE will be offered at the SEMINAR, so we recommend you attend if you and your family are interested in emigrating.
We can arrange temporary accommodation for your arrival in a local reasonably priced hotel, for a week or two, up to a maximum of one month. Costs will vary and we’ll give you a better idea later once we know your job-site location, time of year you’ll be arriving, whether you’ll need a single room or if married a double. During this time you’ll need to secure longer-term accommodation sharing an apartment or renting a room, etc. Monthly rates for apartments are in the $800-1200 range (unfurnished) if you’re married with a family. Or if you’re single and if you share with 2 other work-mates, the cost to you will be about $300-400 per month. Alternatively, the cost of a room rental in furnished accommodation will be in the $400-500 range. Lots of vacancies are detailed in the local papers.
This is a good chance for you to travel, work abroad with the option of emigrating. Vancouver is a great city, “rated #1 in the World as the most-livable city” (Economist Magazine August 23, 2007), "rated #3 in the World for 'quality-on-life'" (Vancouver Sun April 2, 2007) and "cost-of-living in Canadian cities is a bargain compared to European cities" (Canadian Press June 18, 200). London 2nd most expensive, Vancouver way-down at 89th on the list.
Canada is a great young country and Canadians will welcome you. This opportunity should be viewed long-term. We are opening the door with an immediate job offer, fast-track work permit for early arrival plus the chance for fast-track sponsored emigration. No other British or Canadian Company comes close to offering GUARANTEED EMPLOYMENT (sight-unseen) and a WORK PERMIT FOR SUCH LITTLE COST!
If you’ve questions, contact myself (NOT the Employer) on my direct line: 001-604­-684-7344 (6pm-9pm UK time M-F), or you can e-mail. We act as the Employers Agent and all recruitment and work permits are handled by us.
Peter Miller ved the company has
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:21 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

No other British or Canadian Company comes close to offering GUARANTEED EMPLOYMENT (sight-unseen) and a WORK PERMIT FOR SUCH LITTLE COST!
If you’ve questions, contact myself (NOT the Employer) on my direct line: 001-604­-684-7344 (6pm-9pm UK time M-F), or you can e-mail. We act as the Employers Agent and all recruitment and work permits are handled by us.
Peter Miller ved the company has
I am not qualified in any way, but the above would make me a little uneasy.
They ARE charging you for their services. And why would they actively discourage you from contacting the company directly?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,if you want to start applying direct to companies
that are hiring plumbers,have a look at the links below.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_e...ent&Student=No

http://www.reidbrothers.ca/webapp/GetPage?pid=501

http://yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/plumbing/vancouver

Yoong
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:35 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

HI

We are also based in Blackpool and my husaband has had the same offer from the same company - we have been invited to the seminar in Huddersfield in Feb

How have you got on? have you discovered anything sinister? I have had a good look and as of yet cant find anything that would indicate its a scam - I know it seems more cost than applying direct but to be honest if they sort out everything for you and all you have to do is turn up and start work then to me it seems ok. I have looked up the company that he has been offered employemnt with and they are legit - I have emailed the company director Peter Miller today and asked him outright if they are a registerd company and if I can contact the employer to confirm that this is legit before paying out any money. I know it discourages you from contacting them directly BUT i suppose if its mass recruitment they would be getting umpteen cals daily _ OR if the company is recruiting on their behalf, what would stop the company whan you contact them from hiring you direct without the middle man. SO yes i can see why it sounds odd not being able to contact them ( or discouraged to) but I can also see other possibilities why it would be discouraged other than sinister ones.

I dunno - im hoping its ok - lemme know how you get on as i said we are also in Blackpool so it would be nice to know lol

thanks Jo
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:14 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

The hourly pay of $25 plus benefits is approximately worth £20+ per hour in the UK in the equivalent purchasing power, due to the discretionary cost of living being lower in suburban Vancouver than in many parts of the expensive UK.
Unless you're living in London you want to be skeptical about this bit. Vancouver is not a cheap place to live.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:43 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

The hourly pay of $25 plus benefits is approximately worth £20+ per hour in the UK in the equivalent purchasing power, due to the discretionary cost of living being lower in suburban Vancouver than in many parts of the expensive UK..........................
(NB: Converting Dollars into Pounds at the current exchange rate to try calculate your earnings is meaningless and is only relevant if you have to send money back to the UK, to pay a mortgage &/or to support a family, which we do not recommend financially. If you’re married we encourage you to bring the entire family to make it work for you.)
There is no way the cost of living in Vancouver is less than Blackpool....
$25/hr equates to more like £12-15 per hour, not their suggested £20

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.