help and advice sought

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

podtrucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face help and advice sought

hi iam 31 year old with a british hgv 1 licence wanting to come and work in canada, but the obstacle i have come up against is the companies say i need a visa to get a job offer and canadian auhtorities say i need a firm job offer to get a visa. can anyone give me some usefull advice please?

Last edited by podtrucker; Feb 22nd 2010 at 12:51 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help and advice sought

Hi Podtrucker welcome to the forum......to start with I advise you to read the truck driving section of the Wiki shown in the blue section above, then do a search on this forum and you'll find lots of other people have queried about your occupation too.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:17 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
If truck driver is on "The List" of 38 occupations - see blue wiki bar and choose Canada and then immigration guide, then you can go down the FSW route. That way if you are on the List and have the points required (again all in the wiki) you can apply for your PR visa, then you can get a job.
There are some other ways to get in too, you need to grab a cup of tea (and a piece of cake is always good) and start reading.

Good luck
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:44 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podtrucker
hi iam 31 year old with a british hgv 1 licence wanting to come and work in canada, but the obstacle i have come up against is the companies say i need a visa to get a job offer and canadian auhtorities say i need a firm job offer to get a visa. can anyone give me some usefull advice please?
Hi Podtrucker

First of all you need to find out about the different routes you can take to emigrate to Canada. Start by reading the WIKI.

The you need to find out which one, if any, you are eligable to use. The Citizenship and Immigration Canada website has all the info you need.

If you decide to apply for PR (permanent residency) then you will be required to get a pass mark of at least 67 on this test. Here is where you will find the eligability test to see if you qualify to apply for PR.

Finally, here is the link to the search function for the site, you can use it to find previous posts on similar subjects.

Once you have gone through everything you will probably have more specific questions, there is usually someone about to help.

Goo luck and welcome to BE
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podtrucker
The companies are wrong, you need the job offer first. You need a job offer, then the company has to apply for something called a Labour Market Opinion (which is proof that they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing to do it), and then you apply for a visa. You can't get a visa without the job offer & LMO.

Hope that helps give you a brief overview, but have a read of the links you've been given, and you should understand more. Then you can come back and shout with any questions.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.