Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

help!! actually really confused and worried!!!

Wikiposts

help!! actually really confused and worried!!!

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default help!! actually really confused and worried!!!

hi,

many of you will not have seen my post the other day. i am going to pretty much give you my story and i need sooo much help its scary! ok well here it goes..... i came to canada from england in june on a bunac working visa for a year, it expires in june. now here is the complication! i met a canadian girl while i was here and we are now engaged to be married sometime next summer (2006) ha yes i hear you say its a woman at the centre of the problems! haha im kidding

ok so i obviously do not want to leave her here and want to stay in canada, i have her familys complete financial support, a full time job with a drywall company ( in peterborough, ontario) which is desperately short of skilled construction workers due to the flood in the summer, the boss is prepared to write a letter supporting an extension of a work visa or whatever he can do to help. i have no idea what catergory i come under to apply for a visa or even if i do qualify at all, and i really have no idea what to do next and i am starting to get sick with worry. any advice at all no matter how small would be gratefully appreciated and thanks to those who replied to my shorter, not as informative post a few days ago. thank you very much

garry bettis
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:20 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help!! actually really confused and worried!!!

Hi

Originally Posted by canglish
hi,

many of you will not have seen my post the other day. i am going to pretty much give you my story and i need sooo much help its scary! ok well here it goes..... i came to canada from england in june on a bunac working visa for a year, it expires in june. now here is the complication! i met a canadian girl while i was here and we are now engaged to be married sometime next summer (2006) ha yes i hear you say its a woman at the centre of the problems! haha im kidding

ok so i obviously do not want to leave her here and want to stay in canada, i have her familys complete financial support, a full time job with a drywall company ( in peterborough, ontario) which is desperately short of skilled construction workers due to the flood in the summer, the boss is prepared to write a letter supporting an extension of a work visa or whatever he can do to help. i have no idea what catergory i come under to apply for a visa or even if i do qualify at all, and i really have no idea what to do next and i am starting to get sick with worry. any advice at all no matter how small would be gratefully appreciated and thanks to those who replied to my shorter, not as informative post a few days ago. thank you very much

garry bettis
1. Do a little reading at www.cic.gc.ca first.
2. Your BUNAC visa is not extendable, and it is unlikely that HRSDC will certify a job offer from present employer. He can try, but I would not hold my breath.
3. You can apply for an extension as a visitor prior to your visa expiring, but it is unlikely that you will be given a year. You will not be able to work if you are given a visitors permit.
4. It you are not a c/law couple as I assume that you have not lived together for a year and the proof that requires for c/law spousal app.
5. So, if your employer doesn't get the job certified or, you don't get an extension, then you are probably going to have to go home. Its a hard life, but then thats the way things happen.

PMM
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Do a little reading at www.cic.gc.ca first.
2. Your BUNAC visa is not extendable, and it is unlikely that HRSDC will certify a job offer from present employer. He can try, but I would not hold my breath.
3. You can apply for an extension as a visitor prior to your visa expiring, but it is unlikely that you will be given a year. You will not be able to work if you are given a visitors permit.
4. It you are not a c/law couple as I assume that you have not lived together for a year and the proof that requires for c/law spousal app.
5. So, if your employer doesn't get the job certified or, you don't get an extension, then you are probably going to have to go home. Its a hard life, but then thats the way things happen.

PMM
Or change your plans and get married this summer...
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:49 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jonny
Or change your plans and get married this summer...
.....or immediately.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:00 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mhhp
.....or immediately.
Like, as of 2 seconds ago....
And then hold a big she-bang this summer on the beach! A beach... I'd avoid downtown T.O. though - ew..... those beaches have seen their days.... but I digress....
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:38 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

garry bettis
OR keep staying in canada and let the new rules on the spousal application benefit u i.e. even if u are not on a legal status in canada, u will still get sponsored! ur choice!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

could you please give me some info on the new spousal application benefit you talk of? i actually have no idea about any of this
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:10 am
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

could you please give me some info on the new spousal application benefit you talk of? i actually have no idea about any of this
I feel for you, really I do! But I must say that Andrew has a point - the first thing that you have to do is read the stuff!! There is a lot there and it is confusing, but until you get a grounding on what is possible, etc., it is difficult to give you advice.

The new spousal sponsorship rules only apply, so far as I understand it, to people who are already married or living common law, so I don't believe they will have any bearing on your case.

Take a deep breath, read and read and read some more, and then I'm sure people who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am will be happy to advise you. And know that we are all wishing you all the best and look forward to your progress toward immigration. It WILL happen! It just may not happen quite as simply as you'd like.

whm
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

thank you all very much for some sound advice i will get reading thanks again