Help!

Old Aug 5th 2016, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

cazwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!

Hi all I'm new to this site as we have finally made the decision and want to immigrate to Canada. We want to move to okotoks in Calgary as we have family there already and we love the area. My reason for posting is that I'm feeling very overwhelmed with starting the whole process and just want some advice please?! We are thinking that we will go through the express entry system as my hubby is a skilled worker but didn't know whether it would be better to do a working visa first. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 5th 2016, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!

Originally Posted by cazwalker
Hi all I'm new to this site as we have finally made the decision and want to immigrate to Canada. We want to move to okotoks in Calgary as we have family there already and we love the area. My reason for posting is that I'm feeling very overwhelmed with starting the whole process and just want some advice please?! We are thinking that we will go through the express entry system as my hubby is a skilled worker but didn't know whether it would be better to do a working visa first. Thanks in advance
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You've come to the right place! So don't worry, lots of helpful people on here that will point you in the right direction.

If you definitely qualify for Express Entry without a job offer, then that would be a much better route - far easier than finding an employer prepared to sponsor you (particularly as you have such a specific destination in mind, which would make it tougher to find an employer prepared to go to the hassle and cost of your LMIA app) and much more secure.

On a Temp Work Permit you're tied to the employer that sponsored you, and we've seen a lot of people on the forum have to return to the UK after being made redundant or similar. Whereas with Permanent Residency you can stay as long as you like, your time will count towards citizenship, you can work for anybody (or retire, study, set up your own business etc). None of those things are possible on a TWP.

But, are you 100% sure that you would get PR via EE? It's just that most don't without a job offer. Assuming that your hubby qualifies as a Federal Skilled Worker (i.e scores over 67 on the points test, has enough experience in a skilled job etc) then have you also checked your CRS score? As long as it's over 450-480 (480 as a minimum going on recent draws) then you should get PR without a job offer, so that would be great and IMO the way to go if you can.

HTH a bit at least, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 5th 2016 at 11:14 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You've come to the right place! So don't worry, lots of helpful people on here that will point you in the right direction.

If you definitely qualify for Express Entry without a job offer, then that would be a much better route - far easier than finding an employer prepared to sponsor you (particularly as you have such a specific destination in mind, which would make it tougher to find an employer prepared to go to the hassle and cost of your LMIA app) and much more secure.

On a Temp Work Permit you're tied to the employer that sponsored you, and we've seen a lot of people on the forum have to return to the UK after being made redundant or similar. Whereas with Permanent Residency you can stay as long as you like, your time will count towards citizenship, you can work for anybody (or retire, study, set up your own business etc). None of those things are possible on a TWP.

But, are you 100% sure that you would get PR via EE? It's just that most don't without a job offer. Assuming that your hubby qualifies as a Federal Skilled Worker (i.e scores over 67 on the points test, has enough experience in a skilled job etc) then have you also checked your CRS score? As long as it's over 450-480 (480 as a minimum going on recent draws) then you should get PR without a job offer, so that would be great and IMO the way to go if you can.

HTH a bit at least, best of luck.
Thank you for all this. I'm not 100% sure so need to work out his crs score and see where we are at. Assuming that he doesn't score over 480 what would be the next best option?
Old Aug 6th 2016, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all this. I'm not 100% sure so need to work out his crs score and see where we are at. Assuming that he doesn't score over 480 what would be the next best option?
If he's close to 450-480 then it would be worth submitting an EE profile anyway as you never know, the points level may drop and they may select from the pool at lower than that. You can see all the previous draws here and what points they went down to - Express Entry results: Previous rounds of invitations The last 6 have all been over 480.

If not, then he'll need a job offer. What does he do?
Old Aug 6th 2016, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If he's close to 450-480 then it would be worth submitting an EE profile anyway as you never know, the points level may drop and they may select from the pool at lower than that. You can see all the previous draws here and what points they went down to - Express Entry results: Previous rounds of invitations The last 6 have all been over 480.

If not, then he'll need a job offer. What does he do?
He's a pipe fitter/plumber/gas safe registered
Old Aug 6th 2016, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

He's a pipe fitter/plumber/gas safe registered
OK, so hopefully should find a job offer. Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki so he can understand how to go about finding a job offer - because he'll need an employer to go through lots of hassle/paperwork, and to pay, to hire him, it's not usually as easy as just applying for jobs via the net, so he'll need to get out there and job hunt in person ideally, but the Wiki will give you an overview of how to go about finding that all important job offer/LMIA.

Do look in to what he needs to work in Canada as well, plumber is I believe a regulated trade, so he'll need to get licensed to work there (posts by 'Aviator' will give good info on the subject, he's our resident pro on interprovincial certification).

And lastly, it might be worth hunting around or starting a new thread about the economic downturn in Alberta and whether or not that might affect his chances. If you're prepared to widen your net so that you're not just looking at Okotoks, then that might help him find a job offer quicker.

Best of luck!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 6th 2016 at 8:21 pm.