Help!

Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

caleyjackson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help!

Merry Christmas everyone. Ok this site seems to have alot of good information and alot of people who have actually done the move and the visas and what-not and seem to know what your talking about. I am canadian girl was living in Ireland for last 5 years. Me and my boyfriend found out we were expecting this past august and im now 8months pregnant, I decided we needed to move back to canada so i could be with my family for our first baby but we were under a fairly big time constraint. So I am home in Alberta since Dec.1st and we still have yet to get my bf over here. hes coming end of january just as a visitor since im due feb 23 but we still havnt even got to apply for his visa yet. Now ive been told the program re-opens Jan 5th and thats all well and good if it does but if not it seems we are still just waiting and checking the same websites over and over! We have talked to a good few farms about LMO's but it is basically the worst time of year for all this! So if anyone has any information they think will help please let me know!! STRESSED and pregnant not fun!! One question i do have is if the program does open jan 5th and he gets an application in then he comes here end of january can he stay here until we get the visa and just cross the american border and back in or does he HAVE to return to ireland? Thank you for reading sorry its so long-winded.
Caley Jackson
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!

Originally Posted by caleyjackson
Merry Christmas everyone. Ok this site seems to have alot of good information and alot of people who have actually done the move and the visas and what-not and seem to know what your talking about. I am canadian girl was living in Ireland for last 5 years. Me and my boyfriend found out we were expecting this past august and im now 8months pregnant, I decided we needed to move back to canada so i could be with my family for our first baby but we were under a fairly big time constraint. So I am home in Alberta since Dec.1st and we still have yet to get my bf over here. hes coming end of january just as a visitor since im due feb 23 but we still havnt even got to apply for his visa yet. Now ive been told the program re-opens Jan 5th and thats all well and good if it does but if not it seems we are still just waiting and checking the same websites over and over! We have talked to a good few farms about LMO's but it is basically the worst time of year for all this! So if anyone has any information they think will help please let me know!! STRESSED and pregnant not fun!! One question i do have is if the program does open jan 5th and he gets an application in then he comes here end of january can he stay here until we get the visa and just cross the american border and back in or does he HAVE to return to ireland? Thank you for reading sorry its so long-winded.
Caley Jackson
Caley don't panic first of all - not good in your condition.!

From what I can gather from your post you seem to have mixed up a couple of different ways to get him here.

The method you describe regarding the 'programme' being open is called BUNAC. This is basically a 1 year working holiday for students / young adults under the age of 32. If he went this way there is no need for the LMO - if accepted onto the programme he gets an open work permit for anywhere in Canada, downside with this is its for 1 year, and you cannot extend its terms.

He could fall lucky and find an employer willing to go through the LMO process for when BUNAC is finished, and apply for pr off of his own back, but its a tough call at the moment as you've found out.

The thing that springs to mind is why do you not apply to be his sponsor? If you can prove that you have been in a relationship for a year or more (and by that I mean a living together relationship) with joint bills, bank accounts blah blah blah you should be fine.

If he comes over to Canada in January, you apply outland (ie to the UK) as his sponsor, these applications can take as little as 6 months - so it may well be that he is approved and can stay. The only downside with outland is that I think if you are called for interviews you need to go to the office where your application was lodged (ie London England).

There is an Inland route (ie send application to be processed in Canada) but it takes way longer and i'm not sure what would happen when his 6 month visitors permit was up, I think he may have to go back to the UK until the application is granted.

The good thing with spousal sponsorship is, when you get to the approval in principle stage (roughly 4 months from memory if you go the outland route) he can get an open work permit - allowing him to get a job without the LMO.

Its a lot of information to digest, if you look at the top of the page you will see a bar in blue called WIKI. Read all the bits about Canadian immigration there and get some background knowledge on your options, you will then be able to come back with more questions

Best wishes xxx

Last edited by mandymoochops; Dec 28th 2009 at 6:04 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as Mandy says, the outland Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship is the route you want to be going down. Get applying now. My Canadian wife sponsored me and the entire process took 3 months from posting the application to receiving the visa in my passport.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:06 am
Just Joined

caleyjackson is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much.. I dont think me sponsoring him over will work at all tho, thats why i dropped even looking at that nearly straight away, i have to prove i can support him, which i cant as i didnt get a job after arriving here 8 months prego. And we werent living together and dont have any docs to prove we were in a long term relationship. I had looked into that because i thought with me being canadian we would have a bit of an advantage but doesnt seem like it.
and sorry the program I was talking about is the youth mobility program, but its not through BUNAC as thats only for British passport holders, im nearly positive its on this link and we were told about a month and a half ago that it was to open any day for 2010 but still has yet too. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
This is why we have been kind of doing LMO's aswell because we were trying to find a sponsor and go the LMO way kind of from the start but now we have been waiting and hoping this program opens soon and he can just get the year work permit... but the waiting and hoping does not work for me i need to be doing but theres nothing i can be doing... so frustrating!!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much.. I dont think me sponsoring him over will work at all tho, thats why i dropped even looking at that nearly straight away, i have to prove i can support him, which i cant as i didnt get a job after arriving here 8 months prego.
Are you sure you have to prove you can support him? I'm certainly no expert on spousal sponsorship, but didn't think you had to even have a job to do it? Worth double checking I'd say.

And we werent living together and dont have any docs to prove we were in a long term relationship. I had looked into that because i thought with me being canadian we would have a bit of an advantage but doesnt seem like it.
You would have an advantage if you'd lived together for a year or more, then you'd be able to easily sponsor him. Have you ever lived together? For any time at all? If not, and you cannot find another option to get him here, is marriage an option??

and sorry the program I was talking about is the youth mobility program, but its not through BUNAC as thats only for British passport holders, im nearly positive its on this link and we were told about a month and a half ago that it was to open any day for 2010 but still has yet too. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
If you look at the official website, it states that it opens on 5th January. http://canada.usit.ie/ But I believe those with dependent children are ineligible, so you'll need to check how your child being born will affect his eligibility.

Best of luck, both with getting him over there, and with the birth!