Help

Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

64fluke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help

Hi,I'm new here and am looking for some advice-
I am looking to migrate to Canada and have a permanent job offer from my wife's step-brother,who has a successful business in Toronto and is a Canadian Citizen.
However Service Canada has rejected our application for an LMO as he
"has not demonstrated sufficient efforts to hire Canadians in the occupation".
The refusal notification states that a work permit will not be issued.
He has not advertised the job as it is a family business and he wants to employ a family member for reasons of trust.
Can anyone give me an idea of what constitutes "sufficent efforts"
or any other advice/ideas on how to proceed.
Thanks
Fluke
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help

Originally Posted by 64fluke
Hi,I'm new here and am looking for some advice-
I am looking to migrate to Canada and have a permanent job offer from my wife's step-brother,who has a successful business in Toronto and is a Canadian Citizen.
However Service Canada has rejected our application for an LMO as he
"has not demonstrated sufficient efforts to hire Canadians in the occupation".
The refusal notification states that a work permit will not be issued.
He has not advertised the job as it is a family business and he wants to employ a family member for reasons of trust.
Can anyone give me an idea of what constitutes "sufficent efforts"
or any other advice/ideas on how to proceed.
Thanks
Fluke
Hi 64fluke, welcome to BE! In answer to your question - the very fact that he hasn't advertised the job means that he hasn't demonstrated sufficient efforts. To qualify for an LMO normally the employer needs to demonstrate that he/she has recruited across Canada and has been unable to attract a qualified Canadian resident to the position. He can't just employ a family member, it just won't wash with the authorities.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Market_Opinion

Once you've read the above link I would recommend reading more articles in the Wiki to gain a better understanding of the process and hoops that need to be jumped through. There are many on this forum who have been through the process so once you've read the basics I'm sure they'll be happy to share experiences and knwoledge. (I'm not one of them though, I've obtained PR through the Federal Skilled Worker route so can't offer first hand experience I'm afraid).

Good luck with your research and finding a route to Canada

Adele :-)
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

64fluke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help

Thanks Adele-from searching around the forum I've found loads of useful info-
for anyone else in a similar situation , one post mentions this:

"Employer must advertise position nationwide for at least 3 months and provide well documented proof that despite extensive recruiting effort no Canadian was found for the position."

So thats one question answered