Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hello, Newbie in need of some advice please :D (Warning: Could be long, lol!)

Hello, Newbie in need of some advice please :D (Warning: Could be long, lol!)

Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

redsadie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello, Newbie in need of some advice please :D (Warning: Could be long, lol!)

Hi there peeps I'm Sarah

Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone

Myself and my husband (38 & 43 respectively) are considering a move to Cambridge, Ontario as a couple we know have been out there nearly 3 years and are having a fab time, so as we had been considering moving abroad but never done anything about it, thought "why not". We have a son who has just turned 18 who may or may not come out with us (if we get there) and a daughter who is 11 next week, she's excited and has already started saving .

Unfortunately neither myself nor my husband's professions are on the NOC I completed school and am a self employed and trained Beauty Technician and Hairdresser, my husband although has trained as a Lock Smith, never did anything with it and apart from that only has completed school. He now works within an optical laser company as a Technician. He was considering getting his HGV/LGV license as my friend says if you have this, you can work pretty much anywhere in Canada.

I also have a sideline business (2 actually). One is baking special occasion cakes and cupcakes and the other is just for fun really, sewing and making odds and sods like aprons, oven gloves, easy wear skirts and silly bits really.

So as the actual business I am in (hair & beauty) isn't on the NOC, does anyone know if either of my other interests would be eligible if I grew it? I have looked on the NOC and both are on it, but wouldn't know if it would be better to grow one of them as a business and go in as self employed, or go and get a job to get the 'experience' required and get a job over there.

We realise we need at least a years experience in the last 10 years in the occupation we choose to apply under, and we know we need to get things moving as the visa application process can be long winded

We plan on visiting Ontario in October this year to get a feel for the place and possibly make a few contacts. I think getting job offers would be a little optimistic and early as I haven't even looked in the visa forms yet!

We also do not own our own home so I wonder if this would count against us as we wouldn't have collateral or any funds as such.

Are we about to embark on an impossible dream? I would rather have an idea now than further on down the line. Sometimes I look and think yep, it'll all be fine, then I get an attack of the collywobbles and my thinking goes pear shaped, lol!

Thank you in advance for any and all replies

Sarah. xx
Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, Newbie in need of some advice please :D (Warning: Could be long, lol!)

Originally Posted by redsadie
Hi there peeps I'm Sarah

Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone

Myself and my husband (38 & 43 respectively) are considering a move to Cambridge, Ontario as a couple we know have been out there nearly 3 years and are having a fab time, so as we had been considering moving abroad but never done anything about it, thought "why not". We have a son who has just turned 18 who may or may not come out with us (if we get there) and a daughter who is 11 next week, she's excited and has already started saving .

Unfortunately neither myself nor my husband's professions are on the NOC I completed school and am a self employed and trained Beauty Technician and Hairdresser, my husband although has trained as a Lock Smith, never did anything with it and apart from that only has completed school. He now works within an optical laser company as a Technician. He was considering getting his HGV/LGV license as my friend says if you have this, you can work pretty much anywhere in Canada.

I also have a sideline business (2 actually). One is baking special occasion cakes and cupcakes and the other is just for fun really, sewing and making odds and sods like aprons, oven gloves, easy wear skirts and silly bits really.

So as the actual business I am in (hair & beauty) isn't on the NOC, does anyone know if either of my other interests would be eligible if I grew it? I have looked on the NOC and both are on it, but wouldn't know if it would be better to grow one of them as a business and go in as self employed, or go and get a job to get the 'experience' required and get a job over there.

We realise we need at least a years experience in the last 10 years in the occupation we choose to apply under, and we know we need to get things moving as the visa application process can be long winded

We plan on visiting Ontario in October this year to get a feel for the place and possibly make a few contacts. I think getting job offers would be a little optimistic and early as I haven't even looked in the visa forms yet!

We also do not own our own home so I wonder if this would count against us as we wouldn't have collateral or any funds as such.

Are we about to embark on an impossible dream? I would rather have an idea now than further on down the line. Sometimes I look and think yep, it'll all be fine, then I get an attack of the collywobbles and my thinking goes pear shaped, lol!

Thank you in advance for any and all replies

Sarah. xx
Yo might want to start by reading this http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada which will answer most of your questions. You may also want to decide whether it is Canada, USA or Australia you want to go to.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 1st 2012 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, Newbie in need of some advice please :D (Warning: Could be long, lol!)

Read this link as well
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you

xx
Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Those links above that I haven't read could rule this out, but you could set up your own business as a Beauty Technician and Hairdresser and get TWP.

Obviously setting up like that in another country probably isn't the simplest route, but there are a few people on here who have done this.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you ChrisParr

I will check this out in more detail. I have had a quick sniff at this route but thought it sounded like you had to have around $300,000 to enable you to set up as self employed.

I'll look into it in a bit more detail. Thanks again.

xx
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

I should imagine a "lack of funds" could be a bit of a stumbling block. Not just in setting up a business but in the initial costs involved in emigrating in the first place. Cheap it ain't!