Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hello! Advice for common law please

Hello! Advice for common law please

Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

chorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nice
Default Hello! Advice for common law please

Hi there,
I've been reading these threads for a while now, and can't tell you how useful this information has been!
I'm Canadian living in the UK and want to sponsor my common-law-partner. We've been living together for 18 months now and should have enough info to prove this.
The first question I wanted to ask is how long will getting my paperwork together take?
We have booked the doctors appointment for next week and about to get police checks done. What I think might take long is getting together supporting docs from friends and family.
I was hoping to get at least 15 separate letters confirming our relationship.
Is it ok to draft it for them and they can fill in dates, relationships, etc - or does will this look odd to immigration officers?
Also - how personal should they be? Can they just be the facts?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions for you lovely bunch, but that's it for now.

Looking forward to sharing my trials and tribulations with this group.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Megs_4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello! Advice for common law please

Hi Chorlton79!

Congrats on getting things started - it all seems so much when you start!?

Gathering of evidence can take some time depending on how much you are looking to provide. It took us the better part of a month (if not more). Also took months to get the FBI check back and the declarations from Canada etc.

Be careful with regards to getting the medical first, as it needs to have been done within a certain amount of months (6 months I believe) or you have to redo it!

Police checks can take some time depending on how many countries you have lived in (my partner had to get one from the US and it took months!!).

With regards to the statutory declarations, we had some done here in the UK and got some done from our Canadian friends and family back home. We had solicitors stamp them on both sides of the pond.

Ours looked something like this:

STATUTORY DECLARATION

United Kingdom
City of Aberdeen

In the matter of: the relationship between xx and xx

I, xx of the City of xx, in the County of xx, do solemnly and sincerely declare that:

1. I am the friend of xx, and as such have knowledge of the facts hereinafter declared.

2. That the common-law relationship between xx, and xx is known to me.

3. xx and xx have been involved in a genuine and continuing relationship since xx.

4. xx and xx have been continuously living together since xx.

5. This bit we made a little personal giving a BRIEF account of how the person knew us as a couple, events or things we have done together being a witness to our relationship

AND I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true, and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath.

DECLARED BEFORE ME at the City
of xx, in the County of
xx, this day of
_______, 2010, he having first
satisfied me that he was a person
entitled to declare.

My commission expires:__________

Alongside where the solicitor signed was a bit for the person making the declaration to sign. Our solicitors on both sides (the Canadian one is slightly different as it's from Canada) were quite happy with the structure.

We wrote all the stat decus for our family and friends, and then had them read over to make sure they were happy with what they said. We felt bad enough making them take time out of their work days to go to the solicitors that we didn't want them to have TOO much to do.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions!

Cheers

Megs & Gordie
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Mdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really niceMdunny is just really nice

wow - i wish i had seen that template when i was getting my stuff together.. well done Megs!
I have letters from friends and when they asked what they should say i said 'just put in how you know me, when you met my OH and 'something nice''. I ended up getting some very nice letters from friends and family who said things i didnt expect!

to the OP, it took us about 2.5 months to get all the docs together but we knew it was coming up and so make an effort to keep emails/letters/invites etc for the whole year.

I had to get a police cert from Australia and it took 2 months too.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:22 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Stat.Dec on the CIC website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5409E.PDF
Old Jan 26th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
There is a Stat.Dec on the CIC website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5409E.PDF
Is that stat dec not only for the couple applying for common-law, and only to be used if you are applying and have a co-signer? We didn't fill it out (or rather we did, but put a line through it and wrote n/a). I hope that was right!?

The stat dec form I attached is the structure our friends and family used when they wrote supporting letters for us about our relationship - and then the solicitors stamped and signed them for us

Megs & Gordie
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

chorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nicechorlton79 is just really nice

Wow ! ! Thanks so much for the advice all of you.
Megs - that template is amazing. It feels less daunting already.
I wasn't going to get the letters notarized, only because it seems like even another step and some other posts on here said it wasn't necessary. However, I'm keen to get through without a hitch so probably worth it.
Also Megs, i just realized from your post that my partner spent six months in the States for a study exchange, which we account for in his history. Do you know if this means we need an FBI check for him as well? ARGH....you're right! It does seem like sooooo much
Hope your process is speedy!!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ah - found the answer to my last question. More than six months need a police check. Fingers crossed it wasn't a day longer!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:15 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

TBH unless you are lacking in evidence such as lease agreements/mortgage statements, joint bank account statements, a few pics at certain functions and a signed Stat Dec, you really do not need to collate tons and tons of letters to back up your application.

Three will do. And they don't need to be notorised.

Good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:33 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
TBH unless you are lacking in evidence such as lease agreements/mortgage statements, joint bank account statements, a few pics at certain functions and a signed Stat Dec, you really do not need to collate tons and tons of letters to back up your application.

Three will do. And they don't need to be notorised.

Good luck.
Contrary to Megs_4 the medical is valid for a year.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks PMM - wasn't sure on the exact duration, but knew you still had to be mindful...

We only submitted 2 letters from the UK and 3 from Canada - but we also submitted FAR too much info as I tend to be a bit of a worrier (I put a post on here with all things we sent and was told 'lets hope you can't get done for sending too much information')... Also for getting them notarized, we had people on both sides of the pond able to do it for us, or we probably would have sent them without.

Megs & Gordie