health insurance for a student

Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default health insurance for a student

hey

I have been given my letter saying my student visa form has been accepted etc, I think im right in saying you need health insurance when you enter the country, as I will be paying health insurance as part of my University fees, does that cover it, or do i need a seperate insurance policy too? I will be coming from the UK if that helps?

thanks for your time.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Re: health insurance for a student

anyone have any advice?
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brodel,
Health insurance in Canada is different for every province. In some provinces international students are eligible, but normally after residing in the province for around 3 months. Do some research on the Province where you are going and if this is the case get an insurance for the first three months.
I don't know is being from UK has something to do but if you say that you will be paying health insurance as part of your University fees I would definitely ask them what that means.

Hope this helps

spas
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

ah ok, thanks I didnt realise that.

apparently "The provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan cover international students under their provincial health care plans."

I am going to Regina, and one website says i found says.

In Saskatchewan you are eligible for medical insurance through the province from the day of your arrival at no cost, as long as you arrive in Saskatchewan directly from your country of origin and have not been in another Canadian province longer than three months.You will need to apply through your International Student Office to register and your card will be issued within a month. Optometrists, dentists, medication and ambulances are not covered.

Last edited by Brodel; Oct 29th 2004 at 8:09 pm.