Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Health insurance card and SIN number?

Health insurance card and SIN number?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Jo & Rick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance card and SIN number?

I have just been reading the information for newcomers on the CIC website and it has raised some questions that I hope somebody will be able to answer for me.

It says that Medicare is available to all permanent residents and Canadian citizens and that you pay through your taxes. We will be landing under a temporary work visa but will be working and paying taxes so will we be eligible for Medicare or have to arrange an alternative until we receive our PR?

With regard to the health insurance cards, it states that temporary workers in certain provinces may be eligible. Is this the case in Alberta?

To apply for a social insurance number card (SIN) it states that you need to provide confirmation of PR which we wont have. Will our temporary visas suffice?

Any information to clear this up would be great.

Many thanks, Jo
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

mr_alan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health insurance card and SIN number?

Only info I know about and this is the SIN

The following is from HRDC

SIN - Temporary residents

The document must be an original.
Work Permit / Employment Authorization (issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada )

or

Study Permit / Student Authorization (issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada ) AND a contract of employment from the learning institution or from an employer on campus

or

Visitor Record indicating eligibility for work in Canada (issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada )

or
Diplomatic Identity Card (issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade) AND a letter of permission of employment

child under the age of 12 - the parent or legal guardian must also provide proof of identity.

person submitting an application on behalf of another person – must provide a valid photo identity document and an original letter signed by the applicant giving you authorization to submit the application on his/her behalf.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:34 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

I was a temporary resident in Ontario in 2000 and recieved a OHIP health card after 3 months upon showing my temp visa, if that is any help for you.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:14 pm
Mission Accomplished !

bubbleface will become famous soon enoughbubbleface will become famous soon enough

You can get a SIN if you provide them your current work permit.

You can also get a health card in Ontario (don't know about other provinces) if you show them the work permit too.

Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:22 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in exactly the same situation as you on a temporary work visa, I'm guessing you are with Bunac.

I have both a SIN number and health insurance, I am in Alberta, like alredy said on here all you need is your work visa and your SIN will be valid for the exact same amount of time as your work visa.

Alberta health works exactly the same for me as it does my girlfriend who is a PR, we just pay for it out of our salary each month.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Jo & Rick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all who have replied. One less thing to worry about. Hope to land at the end of November / beginning of December.

Cheers, Rick and Jo