Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance in British Columbia

Health Insurance in British Columbia

Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:39 am
Just Joined

PeteInUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance in British Columbia

Hello everyone,

I have read in other posts that a new immigrant will have to wait for a minimum of 3 months before applying for health cover(NHS equivalent), in most provinces. I presume it is the same in BC too. Please confirm.

How does one go about applying for this? Can it be done straightaway, or should the applicant wait for the 3 months to elapse. Once approved, do we get a card of some sort to prove eligibility when seeking medical care.

Being a family of 3, with a 3 year old child, I'm convinced that it is wise to have some basic cover for those initial 3 months. What is the average premium? Are there any companies anyone has used that they'd like to recommend.

Please share your experiences. Many thanks.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance in British Columbia

I am paying 108C$ for a family with 2 kids. You can go to this site for more information.

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/msp/

Originally Posted by PeteInUK
Hello everyone,

I have read in other posts that a new immigrant will have to wait for a minimum of 3 months before applying for health cover(NHS equivalent), in most provinces. I presume it is the same in BC too. Please confirm.

How does one go about applying for this? Can it be done straightaway, or should the applicant wait for the 3 months to elapse. Once approved, do we get a card of some sort to prove eligibility when seeking medical care.

Being a family of 3, with a 3 year old child, I'm convinced that it is wise to have some basic cover for those initial 3 months. What is the average premium? Are there any companies anyone has used that they'd like to recommend.

Please share your experiences. Many thanks.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the info. It partly answers my need.

However, having browsed the MSP website, am I right in thinking that this is what every normal BC resident ought to do, i.e. those who are eligible. I presume, paying 108C$ for a family of 3 or more, is in a way similar to National Insurance contribution here in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However, for newcomers, it states that sufficient cover from a private insurance company must be arranged.

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/...ible.html#when

Therefore, reverting to the original question, I'd like to know of such private companies anyone has had dealings with. What sort of cover and what is the average premium. I suppose such a private cover would have to be terminated at the end of three months and the switch to MSP must be made.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not familiar with your National Insurance in the UK. When we first came to BC we used Blue Cross Insurance for the first 3 months and switched to MSP but later on got Blue Cross extended health care. Check this out.

http://www.bluecross.ca/travelinsurance.html

Thank you for the info. It partly answers my need.

However, having browsed the MSP website, am I right in thinking that this is what every normal BC resident ought to do, i.e. those who are eligible. I presume, paying 108C$ for a family of 3 or more, is in a way similar to National Insurance contribution here in the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However, for newcomers, it states that sufficient cover from a private insurance company must be arranged.

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/...ible.html#when

Therefore, reverting to the original question, I'd like to know of such private companies anyone has had dealings with. What sort of cover and what is the average premium. I suppose such a private cover would have to be terminated at the end of three months and the switch to MSP must be made.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:43 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation.

We got good online quotes from Pacific Blue Cross (not sure of the weblink but google.ca will find it)...seemed to be fine for our needs anyway, all we need is the basics for three months just in case.

Employer is providing med & dental package for my wife + myself so not actually sure if they will set up an account with MSP and have us pay for first three months anyway, but it will work itself out.

Rich.

Urk, just seen earlier post above ref Blue Cross.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

waitingforever is an unknown quantity at this point

please get ur private insurance withing 5 days of landing in Canada. I was refused private insurance when I landed in Ontario. Fortunately I kept my US insurance and the US border was 5 min drive from my house. Most people dont have that option !
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, gentlemen.

I have noticed that the number of days one must get their private insurance upon landing tends to vary on province and insurance company as well. For instance, bluecross in BC allow upto 30 days, whereas in other provinces, as you have stated, one must acquire the private insurance within 5 days of landing.

Would this private insurance that we purchase in a province, e.g. BC, apply for the whole of Canada. What happens if during its validity, we move location, i.e. from one province to another. Would there be a need to purchase another one? Hope not!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:39 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Pacific Blue Cross covers whole of Canada, outside of that is like international travel insurance. So you are covered for bisits to AB, SK etc etc.

Not sure what would happen when/if you move province but guess PBC is only accessible to BC residents. It would be just like having to get your new provincial driving licence

FAQ's on website aren't much help, really. See below

http://www.pac.bluecross.ca/members/memfaq/mem_faq.html

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jul 18th 2005 at 11:49 pm.