Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Heading to Canada to visit Girlfriend - immigration advice

Heading to Canada to visit Girlfriend - immigration advice

Old Jun 24th 2018, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

hobbity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heading to Canada to visit Girlfriend - immigration advice

Planning a trip to spend time with girlfriend in Canada and I was wondering if it would be much easier just to say that I am a tourist then mention girlfriend? I have the funds to support myself over there plus return ticket. I also have my own home in the uk, and am self-employed with a regular income.

Some background, we met in the uk and she's come twice and spent 6 months with me each time. This is the first time I'm going over there.

Also, I do want to travel and explore B.C in particular and thought it would be easier just to put together a travel itinerary and say this is what I'm doing, and on my own. It wouldn't be far from the truth other then 'on my own' bit.

Thanks !
Old Jun 24th 2018, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading to Canada to visit Girlfriend - immigration advice

Nope. Don’t ever, ever lie! In case you’re not aware, CBSA officers have the right to search your luggage, and your phone, so if they found proof you’d lied to them you could be on the next plane home with an exclusion order. You don’t have to volunteer the info, but if asked just be honest.

It’s no problem to simply say you’re visiting your other half, just tell the truth and you should be fine and dandy.

Have fun and welcome to the forum.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 6:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just state that you are visiting a friend if you want to avoid possible complications?
Old Jun 25th 2018, 6:55 am
Just Joined

hobbity is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks christmasoompa and aviator, I think I'll say close friend and leave it at that. I think the UK customs, depending on the interviewing officer can make things more complicated if you mention a romantic element. When my g'friend visited she also said visiting friend and uk customs phoned me to ask if there was any romantic involvement !

Regards the ability to check phones, that's scary. But thanks for letting me know !
Old Jun 25th 2018, 8:32 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbity
Thanks christmasoompa and aviator, I think I'll say close friend and leave it at that. I think the UK customs, depending on the interviewing officer can make things more complicated if you mention a romantic element. When my g'friend visited she also said visiting friend and uk customs phoned me to ask if there was any romantic involvement !

Regards the ability to check phones, that's scary. But thanks for letting me know !
Just tell the truth and take evidence with you that you plan to return home. What you're doing isn't illegal and people do it every day. You can even visit and get married in Canada if you want. You will get into more trouble if you lie and they don't believe you.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 9:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Just tell the truth and take evidence with you that you plan to return home. What you're doing isn't illegal and people do it every day. You can even visit and get married in Canada if you want. You will get into more trouble if you lie and they don't believe you.
+1. Personally, if I were a CBSA officer, if you said 'close friend' to me and then an inspection of your phone showed that it was actually a romantic interest, I'd be very suspicious and it would make me more inclined to refuse you entry. Whereas if you just say 'I'm visiting my gf' (which as said above, tons of people do every day), there's nothing that can come back and bite you if they do dig a little deeper.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking from personal experience on this, just be honest to the questions asked and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 1:24 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally your experience with the UK immigration department (it would have been them who called you and not customs) isn't anything to worry about here. Britain is somewhat unique in that it is illegal to enter Britain as a foreign visitor with the intention of marrying a British citizen.

Canada doesn't have that law simply because you can't change status from visitor to PR while in the country.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1. Personally, if I were a CBSA officer, if you said 'close friend' to me and then an inspection of your phone showed that it was actually a romantic interest, I'd be very suspicious and it would make me more inclined to refuse you entry. Whereas if you just say 'I'm visiting my gf' (which as said above, tons of people do every day), there's nothing that can come back and bite you if they do dig a little deeper.
+2. IF you tell the truth the most officer will ask for is proof you have a ticket home and that you have connections to the UK i.e. family or a job. attempt to lie or tell half truths and you will be under much more scrutiny and may even end up in secondary or being refused entry.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to commute from UK to Canada to see my fiancé when she worked in Calgary. I always said why I was here, I had return flights, copies of my house deeds, council tax bill and in my case my service ID card to prove I was in employment.

Never had a problem
Old Jul 4th 2018, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute

when i was studying at home and my british husband (then boyfriend) came to visit - he was honest. didn't have a problem at all. lots of people are in long distance relationships. you should be fine.

though it doesn't hurt to ensure you have a return ticket readily available for customs in case you get a very strict officer.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 4th 2018 at 7:51 pm. Reason: Sorry, the merge of your 2posts failed. If you want to add to a post, just click 'edit' within 10 minutes :)
Old Jul 4th 2018, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FARAH1305
when i was studying at home and my british husband (then boyfriend) came to visit - he was honest. didn't have a problem at all. lots of people are in long distance relationships. you should be fine.

With respect, unless that was in the last 18 months or so it's not really relevant. There has been a big clampdown and you now need PROOF of ties and obligations to the UK (or where ever the person's residence is) as well as proof of finances to support the length of stay and a return ticket.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 4th 2018 at 7:50 pm.