Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Having TWP taken off you at border

Having TWP taken off you at border

Old May 14th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all
Default Having TWP taken off you at border

We are off to the USA this wkend but just been told about someone having there TWP taken off them when they tried to return to Canada , now not sure if this is just some kinda scary story or if maybe some truth to it ??

Anyone else heard anything like this ?
We got 18 months left on ours and applying for PR. Are just going to the US for a night as tourists,.
Old May 14th 2009, 1:32 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having TWP taken off you at border

this don't sound right at all.....they have no right to take away your TWP as offered by another country.......

we have just had our TWP removed from our passports but that was because we were landing and so are now PR's and don't need TWP......you sure your 'friend' told you right??????
Old May 14th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

it was coming back into the country and apparently the TWP was ripped out of the passport by canadian authoritys .
Old May 14th 2009, 1:57 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstya View Post
it was coming back into the country and apparently the TWP was ripped out of the passport by canadian authoritys .
do you actually know this person/s???? sounds very ify to me!!!! there must be more to it than meets the eye.......criminal's, out of date TWP, known drug smugglers.......the mind boggles!!!!

it was fine when we entered the USA on saturday.....just did the fingerprints, retina scan........anal probbing!!!! actually, the last one is a lie but they do do the first two and extract $6 each from you for the priviledge for a piece of green paper valid for 90days........

if you intend to go back into the USA within the 90days, hang onto the green card thingy, otherwise it will cost you another $6 eachtime and queing for fingerprints etc again......if you don't intent to go back in the 90 days, make sure that you hand it back in when you leave the USA, otherwise they don't know that you left the USA and might come looking for you!!!!!! probably not........
Old May 14th 2009, 2:16 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to the 4 times since landing in Canada just over a year ago on a TWP and not had any issues when returning. I have heard of people being questioned heavily but not having the TWP removed...............do you know why this happened?
Old May 14th 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

it was actualy 2 german chaps who are out on the same thing as us and at the same time who were telling us!! They were actualy quite horrified that we were going to leave the country and come back !! As they seemed to be too scared to do it ! I shall get some more details tomorrow , but it just got us quite worried and we wondered if anyone else had heard of such a thing .. But now just looking like some scare mongering , maybe they members of a german version of BE.
Old May 14th 2009, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

I'm German with a TWP and have re-entered canada many times and never had any problems. Either way, when you are issued your TWP immigration puts a stamp in your passport with an expiration date and Workpermit number so it can still be looked up by an officer when you try to enter the country.
Old May 14th 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

My HR department at work told me the same thing They said that because of the recession people were having their TWP taken off them when they came back to Canada!!

I am going back to the UK on Saturday, and I fly back next week......I'll let you know if they let me in or not!!
Old May 14th 2009, 10:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to believe everything you hear or not.

Fact is that as people lose their jobs, they will lose status in Canada once TWP expires, and getting a new TWP will be harder.

Otherwise, no-one is likely to have their TWP confiscated, provided it was legitimately issued in the first place.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:07 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstya View Post
it was actualy 2 german chaps who are out on the same thing as us and at the same time who were telling us!! They were actualy quite horrified that we were going to leave the country and come back !! As they seemed to be too scared to do it ! I shall get some more details tomorrow , but it just got us quite worried and we wondered if anyone else had heard of such a thing .. But now just looking like some scare mongering , maybe they members of a german version of BE.
How are they staying here now then if their TWP's were removed?
Old May 14th 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmyDavid View Post
How are they staying here now then if their TWP's were removed?
When you are issued your TWP immigration puts a stamp in your passport with an expiration date and Workpermit number so it can still be looked up by an officer when you try to enter the country. I would explain what happened and indicate that I have legal temporary status in Canada and the IO can look it up with the work permit number (starts with a U) that was written in your passport by the Immigration Officer when your TWP was issued.
Old May 14th 2009, 6:46 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kleinluka View Post
When you are issued your TWP immigration puts a stamp in your passport with an expiration date and Workpermit number so it can still be looked up by an officer when you try to enter the country. I would explain what happened and indicate that I have legal temporary status in Canada and the IO can look it up with the work permit number (starts with a U) that was written in your passport by the Immigration Officer when your TWP was issued.
I know that - myself and OH we have 5 WP's between us! I just wondered if they had the TWP's removed - one would assume it was for some important reason - how are they still in the country?
Old May 14th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding View Post
...if you don't intent to go back in the 90 days, make sure that you hand it back in when you leave the USA, otherwise they don't know that you left the USA and might come looking for you!!!!!! probably not........
If you do not intend to re-enter the USA under your Visa Waiver I-94 (the green form) before it expires, I STRONGLY ADVISE you to turn it in to the US authorities.

Last year, I was denied entry to the US at the Mexico/Texas border. Why? For failing to present the correct visa. What visa? I was British and traveling under Visa Waiver. No dice, the officer said, I am withdrawing your right to participate in that program, effective immediately, for failure to return the exit portion of previously issued I-94's.

No appeals allowed. I had to turn around...
Old May 14th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

sprucemoose is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
If you do not intend to re-enter the USA under your Visa Waiver I-94 (the green form) before it expires, I STRONGLY ADVISE you to turn it in to the US authorities.

Last year, I was denied entry to the US at the Mexico/Texas border. Why? For failing to present the correct visa. What visa? I was British and traveling under Visa Waiver. No dice, the officer said, I am withdrawing your right to participate in that program, effective immediately, for failure to return the exit portion of previously issued I-94's.

No appeals allowed. I had to turn around...
Is there no way to rectify the situation? Now that the electronic visa waiver application (sorry, I can't think of the correct terminology!) has to be made online in advance, can you not use that system?
Old May 14th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
Is there no way to rectify the situation? Now that the electronic visa waiver application (sorry, I can't think of the correct terminology!) has to be made online in advance, can you not use that system?
I was living in Mexico as a permanent resident alien at the time, so I had to go get a B1/B2 Visa from the US Consul - not a particularly big deal.