Having Kids In Canada?

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:10 am
Just Joined

ErryBerry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having Kids In Canada?

We've been in Canada for about 8 months and we are now thinking about settling down.

Before we do I just wanted to know if you have children while a PR or as a Citizen, will the children be able to return to the UK to live without any problems? As in Duel Citizenship (at least until they're an adult)
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:58 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

As long as the parents are British, yes they should be dual citizens.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:09 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the parents are British , other than by descent , then yes, usually.

I believe there are a few special cases when British citizenship is not automatically inherited.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
As long as the parents are British , other than by descent , then yes, usually.

I believe there are a few special cases when British citizenship is not automatically inherited.
Wouldn`t that be a nice idea - the ability to "gift" citizenship to one`s beneficiaries
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:36 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by ErryBerry
We've been in Canada for about 8 months and we are now thinking about settling down.

Before we do I just wanted to know if you have children while a PR or as a Citizen, will the children be able to return to the UK to live without any problems? As in Duel Citizenship (at least until they're an adult)
My daughter had her first child here in Canada ove 2 years ago, we were told by immigration Canada that she has duel citizenship automatically as her parents (my daughter and son-inlaw) are British Citizens.

According to CIC -

"if you were born in Canada and one of your parents or your spouse was born outside Canada, you might be considered a citizen of your parents’ or your spouse’s former homeland, even if you never asked to be one."

and

"Canada and the UK accept dual nationality. A person may hold both citizenships and may carry both British and Canadian passports if they so desire.

The present Act makes it possible to have two or more citizenships and allegiances at the same time for an indefinite period."

From this web address.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...itizenship.asp

and

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:41 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Wouldn`t that be a nice idea - the ability to "gift" citizenship to one`s beneficiaries
poor wording I guess. Was late at night and I couldn't think of how to put it better.

Normally if your parents are British then you get British Citizenship as well , but there are a few cases where this is not true.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
poor wording I guess. Was late at night and I couldn't think of how to put it better.

Normally if your parents are British then you get British Citizenship as well , but there are a few cases where this is not true.
There were also a few cases in the past where the kids or parents did actually have to do something to make it happen by a certain date.

But nowadays there is no registration process, you just apply for a passport. Probably easiest to do it while they are still minors, but even as adults there are no insurmountable obstacles at present.

But laws can and do change, so dont assume that the situation will be the same in 20 years time if they then decide a british passport would be nice at that point.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
There were also a few cases in the past where the kids or parents did actually have to do something to make it happen by a certain date.

But nowadays there is no registration process, you just apply for a passport. Probably easiest to do it while they are still minors, but even as adults there are no insurmountable obstacles at present.

But laws can and do change, so dont assume that the situation will be the same in 20 years time if they then decide a british passport would be nice at that point.
Yes, it would be very prudent to get the passport and sort out any problems which could arise at the earliest opportunity. As I keep telling my daughter, but you know what kids are like...
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgspoke
Yes, it would be very prudent to get the passport and sort out any problems which could arise at the earliest opportunity. As I keep telling my daughter, but you know what kids are like...
Problem with doing it early is you then get stuck with the hassle and expense of renewing it too for fear it will lapse before they want to use it. Im waiting till they are near 16.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:27 pm
Reagent

Originally Posted by iaink
Problem with doing it early is you then get stuck with the hassle and expense of renewing it too for fear it will lapse before they want to use it. Im waiting till they are near 16.
Hmm, caught between a rock and a hard place. I'd hang the expense and go for the former. Might be handy to have it sorted in an event of an emergency situation.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it would be very prudent to get the passport and sort out any problems which could arise at the earliest opportunity.
I quite agree. Otherwise, when they grow up and want to emigrate to England, there's a big panic to get the thing.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Hmm, caught between a rock and a hard place. I'd hang the expense and go for the former. Might be handy to have it sorted in an event of an emergency situation.
Cant think of a situation while they are still kids where their Canadian passport and a British parent would not be sufficient, but then I'm a notorious cheapskate at the best of times... but each to their own

Last edited by iaink; Sep 2nd 2010 at 4:42 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:34 pm
Reagent

Originally Posted by dbd33
I quite agree. Otherwise, when they grow up and want to emigrate to England, there's a big panic to get the thing.
Indeed. In 20 years England could possibly be the new Canada.
Hold that thought...