Having Kids In Canada?

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:10 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 12
ErryBerry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having Kids In Canada?

We've been in Canada for about 8 months and we are now thinking about settling down.

Before we do I just wanted to know if you have children while a PR or as a Citizen, will the children be able to return to the UK to live without any problems? As in Duel Citizenship (at least until they're an adult)
ErryBerry is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:58 am
  #2  
Analyst for hire
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,698
Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

As long as the parents are British, yes they should be dual citizens.
Ben W Bell is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:09 am
  #3  
Professional Cat herder
 
Zoe Bell's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: TORONTO- yay!!!
Posts: 5,707
Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

As long as the parents are British , other than by descent , then yes, usually.

I believe there are a few special cases when British citizenship is not automatically inherited.
Zoe Bell is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:13 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,374
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
As long as the parents are British , other than by descent , then yes, usually.

I believe there are a few special cases when British citizenship is not automatically inherited.
Wouldn`t that be a nice idea - the ability to "gift" citizenship to one`s beneficiaries
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:36 pm
  #5  
Reagent
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Orleans, Ottawa
Posts: 101
lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by ErryBerry
We've been in Canada for about 8 months and we are now thinking about settling down.

Before we do I just wanted to know if you have children while a PR or as a Citizen, will the children be able to return to the UK to live without any problems? As in Duel Citizenship (at least until they're an adult)
My daughter had her first child here in Canada ove 2 years ago, we were told by immigration Canada that she has duel citizenship automatically as her parents (my daughter and son-inlaw) are British Citizens.

According to CIC -

"if you were born in Canada and one of your parents or your spouse was born outside Canada, you might be considered a citizen of your parents’ or your spouse’s former homeland, even if you never asked to be one."

and

"Canada and the UK accept dual nationality. A person may hold both citizenships and may carry both British and Canadian passports if they so desire.

The present Act makes it possible to have two or more citizenships and allegiances at the same time for an indefinite period."

From this web address.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...itizenship.asp

and

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
lgspoke is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:41 pm
  #6  
Professional Cat herder
 
Zoe Bell's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: TORONTO- yay!!!
Posts: 5,707
Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Wouldn`t that be a nice idea - the ability to "gift" citizenship to one`s beneficiaries
poor wording I guess. Was late at night and I couldn't think of how to put it better.

Normally if your parents are British then you get British Citizenship as well , but there are a few cases where this is not true.
Zoe Bell is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:00 pm
  #7  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
poor wording I guess. Was late at night and I couldn't think of how to put it better.

Normally if your parents are British then you get British Citizenship as well , but there are a few cases where this is not true.
There were also a few cases in the past where the kids or parents did actually have to do something to make it happen by a certain date.

But nowadays there is no registration process, you just apply for a passport. Probably easiest to do it while they are still minors, but even as adults there are no insurmountable obstacles at present.

But laws can and do change, so dont assume that the situation will be the same in 20 years time if they then decide a british passport would be nice at that point.
iaink is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm
  #8  
Reagent
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Orleans, Ottawa
Posts: 101
lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by iaink
There were also a few cases in the past where the kids or parents did actually have to do something to make it happen by a certain date.

But nowadays there is no registration process, you just apply for a passport. Probably easiest to do it while they are still minors, but even as adults there are no insurmountable obstacles at present.

But laws can and do change, so dont assume that the situation will be the same in 20 years time if they then decide a british passport would be nice at that point.
Yes, it would be very prudent to get the passport and sort out any problems which could arise at the earliest opportunity. As I keep telling my daughter, but you know what kids are like...
lgspoke is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:23 pm
  #9  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by lgspoke
Yes, it would be very prudent to get the passport and sort out any problems which could arise at the earliest opportunity. As I keep telling my daughter, but you know what kids are like...
Problem with doing it early is you then get stuck with the hassle and expense of renewing it too for fear it will lapse before they want to use it. Im waiting till they are near 16.
iaink is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:27 pm
  #10  
Reagent
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Orleans, Ottawa
Posts: 101
lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by iaink
Problem with doing it early is you then get stuck with the hassle and expense of renewing it too for fear it will lapse before they want to use it. Im waiting till they are near 16.
Hmm, caught between a rock and a hard place. I'd hang the expense and go for the former. Might be handy to have it sorted in an event of an emergency situation.
lgspoke is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:29 pm
  #11  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40,018
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by lgspoke
Yes, it would be very prudent to get the passport and sort out any problems which could arise at the earliest opportunity.
I quite agree. Otherwise, when they grow up and want to emigrate to England, there's a big panic to get the thing.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:30 pm
  #12  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by lgspoke
Hmm, caught between a rock and a hard place. I'd hang the expense and go for the former. Might be handy to have it sorted in an event of an emergency situation.
Cant think of a situation while they are still kids where their Canadian passport and a British parent would not be sufficient, but then I'm a notorious cheapskate at the best of times... but each to their own

Last edited by iaink; Sep 2nd 2010 at 4:42 pm.
iaink is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:34 pm
  #13  
Reagent
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Orleans, Ottawa
Posts: 101
lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice
Default Re: Having Kids In Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I quite agree. Otherwise, when they grow up and want to emigrate to England, there's a big panic to get the thing.
Indeed. In 20 years England could possibly be the new Canada.
Hold that thought...
lgspoke is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.