Have we been given bad advice??

Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Squizzer will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Have we been given bad advice??

Hi Guys,

We have been to see an immigration lawyer, regarding spousal sponsorship.

This is what we have been told.

My wife as a canadian citizen can sponsor me through London chc whilst she lives in Canada and I remain in UK. This much I know to be true.

He also told us that during the sponsorship process I would be able to visit my wife in canada on a tourist visa as often as I like.

Looking through past threads, I have some concerns that this part may not be true. I may be reading the wrong info, but it seems that people are advised against travelling to or from Canada when a spousal sponsorship application is being processed.

Could someone please set me straight on this.

Thanks

Steve
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:28 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have we been given bad advice??

You are confusing couple separate issues.

First is when sponsored from abroad - you can visit Canada as often as you can, providing that you get visitor visa (TRV) if you need one and that officer at the port of entry grants you the admission after you tell the truth about having PR application pending. This is a non-issue for those from countries on Canada's visitor visa waiver list but may be a non-starter for many other nationals, especially from risk countries.

Second issue is when sponsored from within Canada - this is where leaving Canada during the process is not recommended.

Originally Posted by Squizzer
Hi Guys,

We have been to see an immigration lawyer, regarding spousal sponsorship.

This is what we have been told.

My wife as a canadian citizen can sponsor me through London chc whilst she lives in Canada and I remain in UK. This much I know to be true.

He also told us that during the sponsorship process I would be able to visit my wife in canada on a tourist visa as often as I like.

Looking through past threads, I have some concerns that this part may not be true. I may be reading the wrong info, but it seems that people are advised against travelling to or from Canada when a spousal sponsorship application is being processed.

Could someone please set me straight on this.

Thanks

Steve