Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Have I got this wrong ? (Translation)

Have I got this wrong ? (Translation)

Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Have I got this wrong ? (Translation)

Hi All

I am pretty sure this is right but just wanted to one last double check with you experienced folk.

I previously asked about translations.

In the FSW guide it states that for police certificates:
If a certificate is not in English or French, submit both the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator.
However as a general guide it states:
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and;
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.

Important information Translations by family members are not acceptable.

Therefore it seems to me that OTHER documents can be done by other people (so long as they are not family) as long as they are made WITH an affidavit.

Therefore I could ask a friend to translate it and then declare it as true. This would be great as it would simplify our costs here (translations here cost a lot) and these are simply translations such as degrees

BUT for the police cert, I would find an accredited translator

Does anyone have ANY experience on this? I am pretty sure it is right what I am seeing but in the last thread that I asked, I was told it had to be accredited.

Please advise if you have any views.

Much appreciated,
f
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:49 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Have I got this wrong ? (Translation)

Originally Posted by floatsy
Hi All

I am pretty sure this is right but just wanted to one last double check with you experienced folk.

Therefore it seems to me that OTHER documents can be done by other people (so long as they are not family) as long as they are made WITH an affidavit.

Therefore I could ask a friend to translate it and then declare it as true. This would be great as it would simplify our costs here (translations here cost a lot) and these are simply translations such as degrees

Does anyone have ANY experience on this? I am pretty sure it is right what I am seeing but in the last thread that I asked, I was told it had to be accredited.

Much appreciated,
f
If I were you, don't take the risk. Find an accredited translator, take the document you need translating and they will not only translate it, they'll certify the translation as a true translation on the original. My husband is half Italian and half English but was born and grew up in Italy for most of his childhood. This means his birth certificate is in Italian. We got an accredited translation company to translate it into English for us and certify they translation. It cost £50 but nothing compared to the piece of mind we got from it, knowing we had provided what we had been asked for
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:05 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Portugal we used a registered translator who translated our Portuguese Police Certificates and also our Portuguese Permanent Residents Cards and then took the documents/translations to a lawyer (no solicitors as such in Portugal) who in turn certified them as a true translation of the original document. Or words to that effect. That seems to be fine with CIC, but one has to ask oneself...

1) How does the Portuguese Lawyer know that the translation is correct?
2) How does CIC London know what the Portuguese lawyer has written, as his certification text is in Portuguese ??

Either way it all looks legal and above board and appears to have done the trick.. so far.

So the upshot is... do it the most legal looking way you can and you should be fine.
Yes, it may cost a bit but hey! What is the cost in comparison to the whole application/shift to Canada?
Processing takes long enough as it is so the last thing you want is CIC coming back asking for an official 'certified' translation or some such. That'll likely add a couple of more months to your application.

Last edited by james.mc; Jun 14th 2011 at 1:16 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Here in Portugal we used a registered translator who translated our Portuguese Police Certificates and also our Portuguese Permanent Residents Cards and then took the documents/translations to a lawyer (no solicitors as such in Portugal) who in turn certified them as a true translation of the original document. Or words to that effect. That seems to be fine with CIC, but one has to ask oneself...

1) How does the Portuguese Lawyer know that the translation is correct?
2) How does CIC London know what the Portuguese lawyer has written, as his certification text is in Portuguese ??

Either way it all looks legal and above board and appears to have done the trick.. so far.

So the upshot is... do it the most legal looking way you can and you should be fine.
Yes, it may cost a bit but hey! What is the cost in comparison to the whole application/shift to Canada?
Processing takes long enough as it is so the last thing you want is CIC coming back asking for an official 'certified' translation or some such. That'll likely add a couple of more months to your application.
Cheers John
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
Hi All

Much appreciated,
f
I had some documents to be translated from German to English incl. birth cert. I had it all (incl. police cert.) done at the German embassy in Ottawa. They copied the original, translated it, certified and stamped it and it was about $20 per translation depending on the amount of words. So not really expensive. I don't think CIC will accept any translation done by a friend and certified by you as it could say anything (no offence ). You will have to get an independant translater I'm afraid. But try the embassy, in my case they were a lot cheaper than other translaters I rung up.