Have I Broken my TWP terms?!

Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have I Broken my TWP terms?!

Hi. I'm curious to know whether I've broken my TWP terms.

I still work for the same employer doing the same job, but now I'm working from home rather than working at the office. It says on my permit that I'm only allowed to work at one location.

So am I breaking the rules? If so, how bad is it?

I've been working from home since October last year too! So I've been doing it for a while.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I Broken my TWP terms?!

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.
Thanks. I won't. So if I was to move from Montreal to Ottawa (the Ontario side) I would therefore have to renew my work permit to change the location, correct? The reason I ask is my TWP is up for renewal August this year, and I am keen on pursuing a move out of Quebec as I'm fed up with the province (I love Montreal though!) and job opportunities will be better.

I'd like to apply for my permanent residence when I've accumulated 2 years you see, but I will only be able to do so from outside of Quebec as my French skills are severely lacking (not to mention it will cost me an extra $390 and quite possibly 3 more months to do the PR in Quebec).

What would you advise?

I think I need to start a new thread...
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:52 pm
pfw
Forum Regular

pfw is an unknown quantity at this point

I work from home on an irregular basis on a TWP with my office specified as Toronto. I've never worried about it on the basis that my usual office is still Toronto (and I spend most of my work time there).

If you can I would apply for PR ASAP into your TWP period. We didn't and it was a mistake, now having to renew my TWP while waiting for London PR application to come through in the meantime.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pfw
I work from home on an irregular basis on a TWP with my office specified as Toronto. I've never worried about it on the basis that my usual office is still Toronto (and I spend most of my work time there).

If you can I would apply for PR ASAP into your TWP period. We didn't and it was a mistake, now having to renew my TWP while waiting for London PR application to come through in the meantime.
Thanks. My TWP is only 2 years, and I need to be in Canada for 2 years anyway to apply for PR, so it looks like I'm going to have to renew my TWP first and then apply for PR.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
Thanks. My TWP is only 2 years, and I need to be in Canada for 2 years anyway to apply for PR, so it looks like I'm going to have to renew my TWP first and then apply for PR.
Out of interest, can you really not apply for PR before that? Looking at your previous posts it seems you went over on an intra-company transfer, which should mean you are eligible as a Skilled Worker rather than having to wait for 2 years to apply via CEC?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest, can you really not apply for PR before that? Looking at your previous posts it seems you went over on an intra-company transfer, which should mean you are eligible as a Skilled Worker rather than having to wait for 2 years to apply via CEC?
I'm quite sure that even as a skilled worker (class B, software sales) I still need to accumulate 2 years...

I'm looking now...
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite sure that even as a skilled worker (class B, software sales) I still need to accumulate 2 years...

I'm looking now...
Nope, if you're Skill Level A, O or B then you just need a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify under FSW category 2 (arranged employment) with no minimum time required. In other words, as Skill Level B you could have applied for PR the minute you started working in Canada.

Not sure you can now, as your work permit must be valid both when you apply, and also when PR is issued, so it may no longer be an option for you.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

You're right!

"Your work experience must be:

for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time), AND
Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list, AND
within the last 10 years."

But I live in Montreal anyway. In order to move to Ontario I'd need to renew the terms on my TWP right? Otherwise I'd have to go through the Quebec route of applying for PR which costs $390 more, could add a few months on and on top of that, I don't speak french so I'm less likely to get accepted...

Thoughts?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Nope, if you're Skill Level A, O or B then you just need a job offer approved by HRSDC to qualify under FSW category 2 (arranged employment) with no minimum time required. In other words, as Skill Level B you could have applied for PR the minute you started working in Canada.

Not sure you can now, as your work permit must be valid both when you apply, and also when PR is issued, so it may no longer be an option for you.
Aw crap, how did I not see this? Do you have a link to this info on cic's website?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You're right!
I always am. Just ask my husband.

But I live in Montreal anyway. In order to move to Ontario I'd need to renew the terms on my TWP right? Otherwise I'd have to go through the Quebec route of applying for PR which costs $390 more, could add a few months on and on top of that, I don't speak french so I'm less likely to get accepted...
Ah, missed the Quebec bit. Have no idea about Quebec immigration to be honest, although I didn't think French was essential, particularly if you had a job offer? Worth checking anyway just in case.

Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Aw crap, how did I not see this? Do you have a link to this info on cic's website?
Which bit did you want a link for?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Which bit did you want a link for?
The federal skilled worker link. Maybe I'm just not getting the terminology. It says "Your work experience must be:

for at least one year, continuous, and paid (full-time or the equivalent in part-time), AND
Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list, AND
within the last 10 years."

So ONE YEAR, CONTINUOUS. How could I have applied the moment I got here? Does that mean one year in Canada or one year overall?

Did they change the requirement recently? I swear it was two years...
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So ONE YEAR, CONTINUOUS. How could I have applied the moment I got here? Does that mean one year in Canada or one year overall?
One year overall - you can have done the work in any country, it doesn't have to be in Canada.

And no, they haven't changed the requirements recently. So I think you could have applied for PR as soon as you arrived, but as I said above I'm not v good on Quebec immigration. I *think* that once you are there working you can apply via the Federal FSW program, but not 100% sure on that. Or I presume you could apply via the Quebec Skilled Worker prog?

And here is the link for FSW category 2 information - as you can see, no minimum time required before you can apply.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...employment.asp

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 11th 2011 at 9:35 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

One year overall - you can have done the work in any country, it doesn't have to be in Canada.

And no, they haven't changed the requirements recently. So I think you could have applied for PR as soon as you arrived, but as I said above I'm not v good on Quebec immigration. I *think* that once you are there working you can apply via the Federal FSW program, but not 100% sure on that. Or I presume you could apply via the Quebec Skilled Worker prog?

And here is the link for FSW category 2 information - as you can see, no minimum time required before you can apply.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...employment.asp
Damn, in which case I could have done this ages ago. Regardless of the Quebec scenario, I'm still looking to move out of the province. Job opportunities aren't great when you're in sales, so I will look at renewing and changing the terms on my TWP and then apply for PR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.