Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone using an immigration company had to sign this declaration ?

Has anyone using an immigration company had to sign this declaration ?

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:51 am
Just Joined

kevnbev is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone using an immigration company had to sign this declaration ?

Hi
We received a document to sign to say that we have not paid our immigration/recruitment company for finding employment.
Basically, they have done employment research and conversion of a UK Cv to Canadian,they won't be dealing with LMO or anything more as the employer want to do everything themselves .
If my husband sign this document he will be lying because that is all wev'e paid them to do !
What if he refuse to sign it ?
Have anyone had to sign one of these ?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone using an immigration company had to sign this declaration ?

Originally Posted by kevnbev
Hi
We received a document to sign to say that we have not paid our immigration/recruitment company for finding employment.
Basically, they have done employment research and conversion of a UK Cv to Canadian,they won't be dealing with LMO or anything more as the employer want to do everything themselves .
If my husband sign this document he will be lying because that is all wev'e paid them to do !
They'll have asked you to sign it because it's actually illegal in most Canadian provinces for them to charge you anything for finding you employment. So they're covering themselves.

Which province are they in and exactly what services have they provided in relation to job hunting? Just converting a CV to a resume is probably fine, but if they've approached companies on your behalf, arranged interviews etc, and charged a fee for that, then they could be breaking the law.

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone using an immigration company had to sign this declaration ?

Originally Posted by kevnbev
Hi
In his case, I would certainly refuse to sign it. No way would I sign a legal document that I knew was untrue! What can they do? They already have their money (I believe?) and they'd be the last ones to want to push an issue like this, I would have thought, as they obviously know that what they are doing is illegal. Have you finished everything to do with them now (i.e. all your important documents are back in your hands, etc.)?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road

What's "employment research"?
Did they actually find you a job?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

kevnbev is on a distinguished road

The company in question is based in Montreal
They searched the Job bank and supposedly other sources that they had available to them
From their research they made suggestions with regards to Provinces that were suitable for my husbands line of work
they contacted employers and arranged interviews in AB and BC
My o.h. signed a contract for their Full Service Relocation Package which was payable in four installments (final payment still to make )
We aren't using them any more for our WP application
No documentation was sent to them, only copies