Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone recently landed by road in Canada?

Has anyone recently landed by road in Canada?

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

bostonbelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone recently landed by road in Canada?

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to land by the end of this month or early next month by road to Canada. I was wondering if it would be a good idea considering the fact that the US is at war. Has this affected anyone who has landed recently?

Does it crate problems not while landing but entering the US again the next day?

Any experiences/advice will help.

Thank you.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Scugog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone recently landed by road in Canada?

Originally posted by bostonbelle
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to land by the end of this month or early next month by road to Canada. I was wondering if it would be a good idea considering the fact that the US is at war. Has this affected anyone who has landed recently?

Does it crate problems not while landing but entering the US again the next day?

Any experiences/advice will help.

Thank you.
I am a Canadian and cross the border about 4-10 times a week and have experienced no problems.You will be asked a few more questions than before but if you are an American citizen you will only need to show proof of birth and you should have no problems.If you intend to move to Canada you should ask before you get to the border about the right way to go about it.
Old Mar 25th 2003, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Has anyone recently landed by road in Canada?

Thanks for replying to my question. I will be landing in Canada as a resident and am not an American citizen. What do you mean by "If you intend to move to Canada you should ask before you get to the border about the right way to go about it."

Do you mean ask a lawyer? Kind of confused so please do reply. Thanks.

Originally posted by Scugog
I am a Canadian and cross the border about 4-10 times a week and have experienced no problems.You will be asked a few more questions than before but if you are an American citizen you will only need to show proof of birth and you should have no problems.If you intend to move to Canada you should ask before you get to the border about the right way to go about it.
Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:46 am
Just Joined

itsmeagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Make your own thread!

Back to this sidetracked topic, your question:
1. Is the war on Iraq impacts your intended landing?
going to Canada - no issue. it will be business as usual.
inbound to US - there is a slight traffic in the border going back to the US (fort erie peace bridge at least). US-bound Trucks are being scrutinized very well (X-rayed, scans). Cars are breezing through easily. If you intend to go thru this part. I suggest that when coming back to the US, use the niagara rainbrow bridge. They'll simply waive you thru if your papers are in order. valid I94, visa on passport, etc.,etc.. They'll ask how long you stayed outside and what did you do. My cousin simply said personal business. Do not offer more explanation than what is ask. Most immigration officer are more keen in looking at your status in the US, (I94, H1 Notice of Action if you are on H1). I cross the border once a week to work and go back to Canada on weekend. I normally bring with me my latest payslip just as assurance if they want but It was never asked to be seen. Some immigration officcer are savvy enough to see your passport page marked for landing in Canada and know that you landed and will confirm this to you. If they ask why are you going back very soon simply say that you are going to get all your stuff. So long as your status in the US is valid you are good.

2. Now, Will it pose problem if you go back to the US the next day?
-- US side.. Other than the traffic and increased scrutiny you should be ok. By the way if you go back thru the Peace Bridge in Erie, Don't line your car with the trucks. Simply pass them by and continue until you get to the US toll and customs on the other side of the bridge. I suggest you use the rainbrow bridge in niagara as traffic there is lighter. That is if you will land in Ontario.
-- Canada custom side. They dont inspect you on the way out so you're ok here. What you need to coordinate very carefully well is how to get your permanent card. See the procedure is when you land in canada they will stamp your IMM with 'not valid for travel' sign. With the expectation that you will at least stay in Canada until you receive your PR Card on the Canadian address you specify in the border. (the timeline varies from 2weeks - 6weeks). The work-around is if you need to go out of canada before receiving your PR Card, have somebody mail you back the card to your US address upon receiving it in Canada (use fedex to make it secure). That way when you go back again, You can show that to the canadian immigration. Now this practice is most frowned upon by majority of people as they think your landing is ill-prepared. After all you need to apply for SIN, (timeline - 2-4 weeks), open bank account, rent an apt. as all proof of establishing a residency. Then there is the OHIP to come later after you have your SIN, and utility bill or rental agreement to show as proof that you are indeed residing in the province.
(timeline for receiving this will coincide with near the 3mos mark that it will take effect).
But in no way is considered illegal. After all some folks have to go home on account of emergency (people left behind die, some will marry, etc.). Your risk is only in the PR card getting lost while you are outside the country and the inconvenience of having to re-apply for it again.

3. Will I use a rental car or your own car?
I'd suggest use a rental car. Don't forget to ask the rental if its ok to drive it to Canada and back. The new rental cars have a GPS tracking device that can disable the car if it deemed outside the boundary of places it should go (It happen to me, I rented a fancy sports car supposedly only for use in the tri-state area NY-NJ-PA but I got carried away driving until miami. Out there it stalled and won't start. Thats when I was told it was disabled deliberately with the assumption that it was stolen...)
Now here's how it works. upon landing you go first to immigration and complete the formalities of landing (they don't care how you land, airplane,car, bicycle, bus, by foot). In the customs they will ask for your declaration of goods for landing. If you put your own car on it they will assume its the one park outside and will check the VIN. If not, and they ask about the car you used outside simply say Its rental to be drop-off in Toronto or wherever. It doesn't hurt to put your own car on the goods to follow list (put the VIN#, model, year on the form). If afterwards you decided not to bring it over, its ok. They'll not going to bug you for it. Yet should you decide not to part with your car and its importable, then its tax free. (You have to pay the conversion and re-registration related exp. though)
What if you use your own car but not intend on bringing it over? It would raise lots of question so better not to. My colleague on H1 here and resident in Canada would always have some argument over at the border regarding his US plated car (he bought it here in the US,5yrs to pay) and use it commuting to work. When he uses this to go home to toronto on weekend, the custom insist that he is importing the car and therefore should pay the required duties. He would counter that he is not bringing it over for good and simply use it to visit. It always brings consternation and confusion especially since to the customs this is not a common scenario.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by bostonbelle
I was hoping I would get answers to my question in this thread. Please make your own new thread if you want to "discuss" issues.

This was a thread started by me for a particular reason as I had a serious question regarding landing in Canada.
Old Apr 3rd 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

A few days earlier you answered my question regarding landing in Canada by road. I had a few more questions readingyour reply and was wondering if I could email you personally rather than put it up on the website?

Please do reply. thanks.