Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here got PR when they've got 66 points or less... ?

Has anyone here got PR when they've got 66 points or less... ?

Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone here got PR when they've got 66 points or less... ?

As per subject... has anyone on here got PR with 66 or less points?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has anyone here got PR when they've got 66 points or less... ?

With or without a job offer? I think if you apply without the requisite number of points and without a job offer, you can expect your application to be swiftly returned to you.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath

Thanks in advance
Not heard of anyone being approved with less than 67 ( without AEO)
67 is the minimum you need to score.
All the best
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply! Currently trying to figure out how best to approach our application.

My fiancee will be the primary applicant. She has a degree, is in the NOC list for skilled workers and is English so has that language covered. No French. Over 1 year but less than 2 of working experience in the qualifying job.

I'm on the NOC list for skilled workers, have A levels but nothing further. English born and speaking but only very basic French (GCSE). I have over 1 year but less than 2 of working experience in the qualifying job. I have a Canadian uncle.

This gives us 66 points...

Pain in the butt!

Oh, this is on my understanding that only having A levels, despite it being 13 years of education doesn't give me (the 2nd applicant), any additional points in adaptability and that my GCSE French is worthless
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:47 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply! Currently trying to figure out how best to approach our application.

My fiancee will be the primary applicant. She has a degree, is in the NOC list for skilled workers and is English so has that language covered. No French. Over 1 year but less than 2 of working experience in the qualifying job.

I'm on the NOC list for skilled workers, have A levels but nothing further. English born and speaking but only very basic French (GCSE). I have over 1 year but less than 2 of working experience in the qualifying job. I have a Canadian uncle.

This gives us 66 points...

Pain in the butt!

Oh, this is on my understanding that only having A levels, despite it being 13 years of education doesn't give me (the 2nd applicant), any additional points in adaptability and that my GCSE French is worthless
A Levels would take you to 14 years education, no?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

From what I can tell, I don't any additional points for having 3 A levels... If someone else can tell me I'm wrong, I'd be delighted!

Cheers
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
A Levels would take you to 14 years education, no?
I think it's 14 too. 3 years infants, 4 years juniors, five years secondary and 2 years A-Levels. At least that's what I did but it was a long, long time ago...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

can I suggest reading my post (today) on a thread similar to this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655361

especially page 13 which clearly sets out the standard for UK schooling years
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

Thanks in advance
also, re above, why don't you check out the possibility of having a "substituted evaluation" assessment in the evnt that you fail marginally on points

take a look at section 11.3 of

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But the points can be claimed for any skilled work experience, it doesn't have to be in the qualifying job. So if for example, she'd spent 3 years as a sales advisor, and then changed to whatever job she's applying under, she can still count those 3 years for her work experience points.

Does that make a difference? If not, she'll need to brush up on her French or similar, with 66 points it will be an instant rejection I'm afraid. It's worth noting that 'basic' French is said to be A level standard.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 17th 2010 at 8:38 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

All, thanks for taking the time to reply - your help is definitely appreciated!

john5655, thank you for the information on the substituted evaluation - I was aware that it was possible to provide a covering letter etc if points was an issue but I didn't know that there was a formal process for it - that's very helpful indeed.

christmasoompa, is that really the case? If so, that would solve our problem entirely as she'd be entitled to additional points. She's been working full time in IT support for 4 years, the last year has been as an MIS manager.

Thanks again
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

christmasoompa, is that really the case? If so, that would solve our problem entirely as she'd be entitled to additional points. She's been working full time in IT support for 4 years, the last year has been as an MIS manager.

Thanks again
You're sorted then. You claim for any years of Skilled work experience, it doesn't have to be the job you're applying under. So as long as her previous job was in Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix (sounds as if it will be, but do double check), then she can claim for maximum points on work experience. So should have 72 I think, well above the minimum.

Here's the link to the CIC section about it just to confirm the above for you....................http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...experience.asp

Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're sorted then. You claim for any years of Skilled work experience, it doesn't have to be the job you're applying under. So as long as her previous job was in Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix (sounds as if it will be, but do double check), then she can claim for maximum points on work experience. So should have 72 I think, well above the minimum.

Here's the link to the CIC section about it just to confirm the above for you....................http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...experience.asp

Yes, her job fits within this

Thank you!

This is the only time in my life where I actually regret not having a degree. Ironically, the additional experience I have has actually helped my career; I'm a software development manager and it's not held me back at all. If I had the degree I'd easily be able to qualify!

Thanks once again
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I'm re-applying for PR soon after being previously rejected and scoring only 65 points;
Normal school + 2 year BTEC

I'm currently on a TWP, which will give me an additional 10 points from when I originally applied

Last edited by spaceace; Feb 17th 2010 at 10:33 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

.duplicate post