Wikiposts

Happily Landed - May 30,2005

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

immquest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Happily Landed - May 30,2005

Hi All,

I am happy to inform you all that I completed the landing process on May 30,2005(Memorial day).
We (my wife, daughter and I) landed at the Rainbow Bridge. We drove a rental car from Buffalo.

At the US border:
It was a really a marvellous experience - there were tons of cars that were there as it was Memorial day. We drove onto the lane marked " To Canada".

4-5 officers were checking cars. On our turn, a lady officer asked me where we were headed. I replied that we were landing. She and another male officer asked me to park the car along the side of the bridge.
They asked me to turn off the engine and put the keys on the passenger seat. They asked if it was my own car. I said its rental. She asked if I was carrying any money. I said that we had a cashier's check for USD15,000 + 500 in cash. She asked me to fill up a form reg. the cash and other money we had and asked for the cashier's check. The check was not signed. She looked at it and took it to another officer. They discussed among themselves for a minute and said that as its not signed, I need not declare it in customs form. She asked me to hand over my wallet to her and she returned it after checking it.
They also asked my wife and daughter to get down and talked to them as to what they had on them.
While we all were out of the car, three officers checked things in the car.

Then, they said you can go.

We checked for all of our belongings and drove to the Canadian Border.

At Canadian Border:
A lady officer asked for purpose of visit today. Replied landing. She asked if we had all documents. She looked at our PPs and gave me a yellow slip and asked to park at the office on the left side. Parked there and went inside.

At Immigrations counter ---
The place was empty - only officers were there.
A lady officer asked for our PPs, forms and asked when we would be moving finally. She then asked for funds. She then asked us to inital at two places and sign on the COPR.They had a warning for all of us - that the signature cannot be outside the white box. She asked for a Canadian address.We gave our relatives address in Mississauga. She then asked us to wait.
They called us again and gave us the forms. She stapled a form on the PP, struck the immigrant visa and said that I can use this to come to Canada by personal vehicle any number of times but cannot come by air, boat, bus or rental car. This was suprising.She then congratulated us and asked us to go to customs.
There we handed over our goods in hand and goods to follow list. My car was
listed in goods to follow list. She specifically asked for it and checked the car with an officer(he referred to a manual to check if its allowed for importation)
We handed over photos of jewels. They made copies of all of them and handed over them back to us with another form.

We then came to our car. There an officer pointed out that the hood had been left open. The US officer who opened it did not close it properly and I did not notice that either. The canadian officer took care of that and said "good luck".

Finally, we were in Canada!!!!!!!

We drove to Toronto that day and went to CN tower and visited my relatives at Mississauga.

On return journey to US:
Lady officer asked citizenship and PPs. She looked at them - we had unexpired visas and I-94s. She said you can go - Less than a minute.
Never asked if we carried any money, food etc. She saw my daughter in the car seat sleeping.

A day later, we went to Canada again - this time by foot. A lady officer looked at our PPs. she asked for how long we would be there.We said we wanted to see the falls from Canada and said may be for a couple of hrs. She gave us our PPs and said good luck.
On the way back to US, officer looked at our PPs and checked visa and I-94. In less than a minute, he let us go.

I have read many posts with many nervous persons posting many questions. My advice would be:
Don't read any pessimisstic posts.
Don't read posts that do not pertain to your situation/status
Be prepared and you will definitely enjoy the landing process. 99.99% of the officers are helpful.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:40 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happily Landed - May 30,2005

Originally Posted by immquest

I have read many posts with many nervous persons posting many questions. My advice would be:
LOL ....... problem is that you have to read them to find out they are pessimistic, then you have to decide whether they could possibly pertain to your situation!

In a time when most of us are stressed up to our eyeballs, and the feeling is that if anything CAN go wrong it probably will, it's very hard not to take everything personally!

Anhoo, I'm SO glad you had a good experience...long may it continue!!! Enjoy your new life!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

rahul_singh23 will become famous soon enoughrahul_singh23 will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Thanks for the information. You put everything very nice and clear. It's really helpful for other people. I am wondering if you have write down ans of all the Q so we know what ans they expecting from us.

Thanks
Rahul

Hi All,

I am happy to inform you all that I completed the landing process on May 30,2005(Memorial day).
We (my wife, daughter and I) landed at the Rainbow Bridge. We drove a rental car from Buffalo.

At the US border:
It was a really a marvellous experience - there were tons of cars that were there as it was Memorial day. We drove onto the lane marked " To Canada".

4-5 officers were checking cars. On our turn, a lady officer asked me where we were headed. I replied that we were landing. She and another male officer asked me to park the car along the side of the bridge.
They asked me to turn off the engine and put the keys on the passenger seat. They asked if it was my own car. I said its rental. She asked if I was carrying any money. I said that we had a cashier's check for USD15,000 + 500 in cash. She asked me to fill up a form reg. the cash and other money we had and asked for the cashier's check. The check was not signed. She looked at it and took it to another officer. They discussed among themselves for a minute and said that as its not signed, I need not declare it in customs form. She asked me to hand over my wallet to her and she returned it after checking it.
They also asked my wife and daughter to get down and talked to them as to what they had on them.
While we all were out of the car, three officers checked things in the car.

Then, they said you can go.

We checked for all of our belongings and drove to the Canadian Border.

At Canadian Border:
A lady officer asked for purpose of visit today. Replied landing. She asked if we had all documents. She looked at our PPs and gave me a yellow slip and asked to park at the office on the left side. Parked there and went inside.

At Immigrations counter ---
The place was empty - only officers were there.
A lady officer asked for our PPs, forms and asked when we would be moving finally. She then asked for funds. She then asked us to inital at two places and sign on the COPR.They had a warning for all of us - that the signature cannot be outside the white box. She asked for a Canadian address.We gave our relatives address in Mississauga. She then asked us to wait.
They called us again and gave us the forms. She stapled a form on the PP, struck the immigrant visa and said that I can use this to come to Canada by personal vehicle any number of times but cannot come by air, boat, bus or rental car. This was suprising.She then congratulated us and asked us to go to customs.
There we handed over our goods in hand and goods to follow list. My car was
listed in goods to follow list. She specifically asked for it and checked the car with an officer(he referred to a manual to check if its allowed for importation)
We handed over photos of jewels. They made copies of all of them and handed over them back to us with another form.

We then came to our car. There an officer pointed out that the hood had been left open. The US officer who opened it did not close it properly and I did not notice that either. The canadian officer took care of that and said "good luck".

Finally, we were in Canada!!!!!!!

We drove to Toronto that day and went to CN tower and visited my relatives at Mississauga.

On return journey to US:
Lady officer asked citizenship and PPs. She looked at them - we had unexpired visas and I-94s. She said you can go - Less than a minute.
Never asked if we carried any money, food etc. She saw my daughter in the car seat sleeping.

A day later, we went to Canada again - this time by foot. A lady officer looked at our PPs. she asked for how long we would be there.We said we wanted to see the falls from Canada and said may be for a couple of hrs. She gave us our PPs and said good luck.
On the way back to US, officer looked at our PPs and checked visa and I-94. In less than a minute, he let us go.

Be prepared and you will definitely enjoy the landing process. 99.99% of the officers are helpful.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

immquest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
LOL ....... problem is that you have to read them to find out they are pessimistic, then you have to decide whether they could possibly pertain to your situation!

In a time when most of us are stressed up to our eyeballs, and the feeling is that if anything CAN go wrong it probably will, it's very hard not to take everything personally!

Anhoo, I'm SO glad you had a good experience...long may it continue!!! Enjoy your new life!
Hi,
I used to read posts from members who were in a similar situation as I was. Not everybody's. Even when I read only those posts, I found myself more worrying than I found answers.

Best example - some posts said that the applicants need to be in Canada personally after landing to collect the PR cards. In my case, the officer just asked for a Canadian address and thats it.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:55 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I used to read posts from members who were in a similar situation as I was. Not everybody's. Even when I read only those posts, I found myself more worrying than I found answers.

Best example - some posts said that the applicants need to be in Canada personally after landing to collect the PR cards. In my case, the officer just asked for a Canadian address and thats it.
Congrats on ur successful landing
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on successful landing and thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am glade to know that landing process is very easy. I am expecting my PP request pretty soon and Hopefully i will also be able to post my experience , similar to yours... pretty soon.