Wikiposts

Handing passports in person?

Old May 2nd 2007, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all
Default Handing passports in person?

I'm toying with the notion of flying down and handing our passports in in person tomorrow, then flying down in 2 weeks to collect!
a. Can I hand my wifes in (do I need a note from her)?
b. How long does it take to get to / from Gatwick?
c. Am I crazy to do this for £49return + taxis, to get them 3 weeks earlier?
d. Anyone else going tomorrow ..... you want to go for a after (if I decide to go?

Hell! I'm still smiling from getting my PPR yesterday!
Kenny
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Handing passports in person?

a. I don't think you'll have a problem, as even if you go in a family group they'll only let one person in anyway. But you might want to take something just in case.

b. On the express train to Victoria I think it's about 20 minutes, but that was about another tenner last time I used it (which was a few years ago). Not sure how long a taxi would take or how much it would cost.

c. For me the main thing was not the time, but knowing that the passports were delivered safely and collected safely! I'd rather trust myself to pick them up than risk the Post Office losing them.
Old May 2nd 2007, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

jcatterbury is on a distinguished road

Hi Kenny

Mark makes a good point about not trusting the Post Office but I must admit I did send mine down last week by special delivery, although I don't think they come back by method.

I was going to go by train from Liverpool but rather than pay the stupid train fares I decided to post it as a few people have been saying that passports are coming back from CHC in about three weeks at the moment.

I guess it is your call.

Either way you will soon be a Canadian resident!

Cheers,
Jason
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:07 am
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KennyJosie
I'm toying with the notion of flying down and handing our passports in in person tomorrow, then flying down in 2 weeks to collect!
d. Anyone else going tomorrow ..... you want to go for a after (if I decide to go?

Kenny
Hi Kenny,

a. Don't know, tho sure I read somewhere about written authorisation for people to hand your passport in for you
b. No idea, probably quite a while
c. Not crazy, anything that gets the visa in your greasy mitt that bit sooner sounds good to me
d. Wish I was going tomorrow!!!! When the time comes I will be on a National Express coach from Newcastle Central Station, just like Novaboy did, whistling "Oh Canada" to my hearts content (Suzanne has already said so!)
f. What happened to e?
g. I will catch up with you for that drink sometime in the future, would be nice to put a face to the name after all our interaction. I won't stoop so low as to fall out over who gets the first round in, I will just let you get them. lol

Its a win win situation. If you decide to travel down have a safe and pleasant journey, and you personally pick them up in 2 weeks; if you post them you can stress out over the mail system when they are not back when you expect them to be back!!!!

Best wishes
Steven
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

RodseyUK will become famous soon enoughRodseyUK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by KennyJosie

Kenny
a. This has been answered in a previous thread. Someone actually asked CIC London and this was their answer:

"If you wish someone else to drop off your passport they must bring with them their own passport (for identity purposes) and a signed letter from yourself stating their name as the elected person by yourself to drop of your passport.

If someone else is also to be collecting your passport they must also have their passport the receipt that will be issued to whoever has been elected to drop of your passport and another signed letter from yourself stating they are the elected person to pick up your passport on your behalf.

We do not accept courier drop offs for our 'packages submitted in person' option. You must follow instructions above. If you are unable to attend yourself or have someone attend on your behalf you must submit your package via mail/courier.

I hope this information has been of assistance."

b. no idea, sent my passports by special delivery.

c. It's your money and time, so it's your call. To put your mind at ease about sending the passports via mail, we sent ours via Special Delivery and CIC returned our passports using the "Royal Mail Signed For" service.
Old May 2nd 2007, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Me, me, it was me. I asked them and that was their e-mail response !! Ahh, i feel all warm and fuzzy, i've been quoted.

Mind you, it took them so long to let me know, that i had already juut sent my passport off recorded post by then.

IMHO if you dont need your passport back too quickly posting it is just easier. But, having said that i would have taken it if i could of (or gotten someone else to take it for me, as i had wanted to). Work have no idea i am leaving the country in hopefully just 2 months, and so there was no way i could get the 2 Thursdays off.

Quiet nice in a way to be stalking the postman 1 last time. Like we are rounding off our relationship!!!
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

i sent mine down special delivery,and it came back 24 days later by special delivery....i know that they send it back recorded but i included the special delivery envelope and they used that.
granted that you would have your passport in two weeks,or the possibilty of having it in 3 weeks for a fraction of the cost.
as it has been said, its a win win situation
cheers
Paul
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:14 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

We're off to London tomorrow to collect ours
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia2373 will become famous soon enoughcynthia2373 will become famous soon enough

I'm off to London today to drop ours off!

So, how many of you will be in that nice queue, and how early do people get there?

Cheers,
Cynthia
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

As we have sooooo much to do (selling cars, working our notice , informing authorities etc) we decided to send them Special delivery. I put a prepaid registered post envelope inside with the passports so they have no excuses!
Wishing you all the best,
Kenny