hand delivering passport?

Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

82UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hand delivering passport?

Hi everyone

Sorry new here but have been browsing for months!! I am married to a Canadian and he has sponsored me for a visa...I got the email today requesting my passport! Yay!

I was just wondering about hand delivering it. With all the strikes I don't trust my passport with the postman! I am working every day so my Dad is going to take it into London for me.

Is this ok that someone else is taking it for me? And to double check, it can only be taken on a Thursday between 2 and 3?

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hand delivering passport?

An answer to this would help me too as I should get the passport requests v. soon and I don't want to send them in the post. How long do you have to queue for, what days, what times. Can I take the passports for both myself and my wife, or would she need to come as well?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Whoopi83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi both

It may be safer to send via UPS, Fedex etc so then: 1. you get to track it, and 2. you can include a return paid envelope via the same.

Would trust UK snail mail as far as I could throw with a severed arm!

By the way, 82UK what's your timeline?

Whoopi
Old Sep 28th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

When you get your passport requests it will give you details regarding hand delivery / mailing.

I know that you can only drop them off on a Thursday afternoon and collect 14 days later (Thursday afternoon). I assume that the length of the queue will depend on how busy they are (people collecting / dropping passports off).

With regards to mailing: ours arrived exactly 14 days after sending them, i.e sent on Monday received on Monday 2 weeks later, so depending on when you receive your passport requests it could be quicker to send them through the post (assuming no postal strike).

Poppit
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Snoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 82UK
I was just wondering about hand delivering it. With all the strikes I don't trust my passport with the postman! I am working every day so my Dad is going to take it into London for me.

Is this ok that someone else is taking it for me? And to double check, it can only be taken on a Thursday between 2 and 3?
Originally Posted by TheBear
An answer to this would help me too as I should get the passport requests v. soon and I don't want to send them in the post. How long do you have to queue for, what days, what times. Can I take the passports for both myself and my wife, or would she need to come as well?
Only time you can take passports in and pick them up is 2.00-3.00pm on a Thursday. When you drop it off you will get a 'raffle ticket' that you hand in two weeks later at the same office.

Apparently the queues start soon after 1.00pm but I arrived both for dropoff and pickup at 2.20pm or so and was done before 3.00pm (just). I'm not sure what happens if the queue is so long that it's 3.00pm before you've got to the front -- so getting there a little early is probably wise if possible! Also bear in mind the queue is outside, so you may wish to dress appropriately for any prevailing weather!

Anyone can drop off or collect it. From memory if the person collecting the passport is not the person who the passport belongs to, they need to bring along ID of their own along with a letter from the applicant stating that the person in question is authorised to collect it. This is all documented on the letter that comes with the passport request.

Total time in the office is about 2 minutes (at least it was for me, if there's a whole family it may take a little longer!)
Old Sep 28th 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for the replies! And my timeline is as follows for family class:
Filing outland in London (Husband in Canada, I am in London)
16th June 2009 - Application received.
16th July 2009 - Application process begun.
17th July 2009 - Application is on its way back to us as missing a signature!
27th July 2009 - Application re submitted.
30th July 2009 - Sponsorship approved
14th August 2009 - London started processing application.
25th September 2009 - Email requesting passport!!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

email??!!! Oh boy, better keep an eye on the junk folder!
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Yes keep an eye on the junk folder!! It came to email rather than my husband who was sponsoring me, although I was checking his junk mail too just incase!