Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Hallelujah! NS-PNP (CI) Nomination Received!

Hallelujah! NS-PNP (CI) Nomination Received!

Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Hallelujah! NS-PNP (CI) Nomination Received!

Sing choirs of angels & hosannas etc etc - Nova Scotia, here we come!

Now, folks, a few queries for those who can help (before I ask the CIC).

* I intend to leave for NS (wife and daughter to follow in September), and look for work, around March. Am I right in thinking that PNP grants 'implied status' and an LMO is NOT required to secure a TWP?

* We applied as Mexicans - presumably, we file the PR application with the embassy here in Mexico City. The NS Office of Immigration say they've sent the certificate there. However, if I am already in NS (and hopefully working), can I send the applications to another, speedier office? How do I get that PNP Certificate sent elsewhere?

Can't believe this has taken just 7 months - even though there are folks getting there faster. I guess the real nerve-racking bit starts now...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hallelujah! NS-PNP (CI) Nomination Received!

Hi
I'm still confused about the CI nomination. I thought you had to already had ties to NS?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:22 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Sing choirs of angels & hosannas etc etc - Nova Scotia, here we come!

Now, folks, a few queries for those who can help (before I ask the CIC).

* I intend to leave for NS (wife and daughter to follow in September), and look for work, around March. Am I right in thinking that PNP grants 'implied status' and an LMO is NOT required to secure a TWP?

* We applied as Mexicans - presumably, we file the PR application with the embassy here in Mexico City. The NS Office of Immigration say they've sent the certificate there. However, if I am already in NS (and hopefully working), can I send the applications to another, speedier office? How do I get that PNP Certificate sent elsewhere?

Can't believe this has taken just 7 months - even though there are folks getting there faster. I guess the real nerve-racking bit starts now...
Tra laaaaaaaaaaaaa! Congrats!

In answer to point one - this is correct. Just ask the NS Immigration office and they will prepare a letter for you to take to the border/POE so that they will give you a work permit.

In answer to point two - no idea! We are in NS and ours has gone to Buffallo and by all accounts that is REALLY slow - so perhaps sticking with what you have got is a better option!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hi
I'm still confused about the CI nomination. I thought you had to already had ties to NS?
Hi
There's lots of posts about this subject, but the gist is that the rules are interpreted to varying degrees of rigidity by each RDA. Apparently, Halifax are very tough indeed and insist on a good many letters from known community figures. Kings County, if I recall, seem a little more laid-back.

Colchester County, with whom many Brits have dealt, seem to be somewhere in the middle.

The upshot is that you have to get yourself over there, talk to the RDA and demonstrate what you can offer the community.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
There's lots of posts about this subject, but the gist is that the rules are interpreted to varying degrees of rigidity by each RDA. Apparently, Halifax are very tough indeed and insist on a good many letters from known community figures. Kings County, if I recall, seem a little more laid-back.

Colchester County, with whom many Brits have dealt, seem to be somewhere in the middle.

The upshot is that you have to get yourself over there, talk to the RDA and demonstrate what you can offer the community.
Thanks for that. NS is where we want to go and we're visiting in May so I might look into it a bit further.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

talltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant futuretalltrucker2 has a brilliant future

hi congrats we got our nomination today were the happiest people in the world..... woo hooo.i noticed you said you were going over in march and getting a twp how is this possible??? i would love to go over there now and find a job.....
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by talltrucker2
...i noticed you said you were going over in march and getting a twp how is this possible???
To be granted a Temporary Work Permit, normally, one would require the potential employer to file for a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) and one would obtain the work permit at the point of entry (any land border crossing).

With provincial nomination, however, an LMO is not required. Once one has a job offer in writing, one needs to obtain a letter from NS Immigration (that says, basically, we have nominated this person for PR so please, Mr Immigration Officer, give him a work permit).

With these two documents, one drives to the nearest border crossing, crosses to the US for day's relaxation and then asks the Canadian official for a TWP when re-entering...costs C$150 and good for at least a year.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:20 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

To be granted a Temporary Work Permit, normally, one would require the potential employer to file for a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) and one would obtain the work permit at the point of entry (any land border crossing).

With provincial nomination, however, an LMO is not required. Once one has a job offer in writing, one needs to obtain a letter from NS Immigration (that says, basically, we have nominated this person for PR so please, Mr Immigration Officer, give him a work permit).

With these two documents, one drives to the nearest border crossing, crosses to the US for day's relaxation and then asks the Canadian official for a TWP when re-entering...costs C$150 and good for at least a year.
Exactly and usually you will get an open work permit so you are covered if you loose your job whilst you are waiting for PR to come through.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:39 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Adrian, that is great news