Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Had to return to UK due to family illness

Had to return to UK due to family illness

Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about
Default Had to return to UK due to family illness

I apologise if this is a repeat question but I have trawled through the forum and have read varying information on the subject but obviously each and every situation is different, and hoping for some advice.

I am a british citizen/passport holder and first came to visit my boyfriend in Ontario in April 2007, I stayed for 18 days.

I returned to Toronto on 21st June, was awaiting my decree absolute (final divorce) which came through finally on 24th September 2007. Once the decree absolute was received we intended to get married as soon as possible and start a spousal application for my residency. Unfortunately during this time my father has been seriously ill and I had to return to England in late July. I returned to Canada on 2nd August. At that time customs understandably asked me a lot of questions, to which I honestly replied and they wrote in my passport 1st December 2007 under the stamp. Afterwards we sought advice from an immigration lawyer, who advised me to make an out of land application once we were married and that she wouldassist me in applying for an extension to my visitor status at the beginning of November.

Last week my father took a serious turn for the worse and I had to urgently return to England last Friday.

I am hoping to return to Canada on 26th October but I am obviously very worried because I have no visitor extension in place and my PR application cannot be started yet. Could anyone give advice as to what I should say to customs - will I be turned away - has anyone been in a similar situation?

I am considering purchasing a return ticket UK - Toronto and making the return before the 1st December as specified in my passport - I am not trying to dodge the system - any advice would be most appreciated. I do have proof of funds.

Thank you
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Had to return to UK due to family illness

Originally Posted by Karen1203
I apologise if this is a repeat question but I have trawled through the forum and have read varying information on the subject but obviously each and every situation is different, and hoping for some advice.

I am a british citizen/passport holder and first came to visit my boyfriend in Ontario in April 2007, I stayed for 18 days.

I returned to Toronto on 21st June, was awaiting my decree absolute (final divorce) which came through finally on 24th September 2007. Once the decree absolute was received we intended to get married as soon as possible and start a spousal application for my residency. Unfortunately during this time my father has been seriously ill and I had to return to England in late July. I returned to Canada on 2nd August. At that time customs understandably asked me a lot of questions, to which I honestly replied and they wrote in my passport 1st December 2007 under the stamp. Afterwards we sought advice from an immigration lawyer, who advised me to make an out of land application once we were married and that she wouldassist me in applying for an extension to my visitor status at the beginning of November.

Last week my father took a serious turn for the worse and I had to urgently return to England last Friday.

I am hoping to return to Canada on 26th October but I am obviously very worried because I have no visitor extension in place and my PR application cannot be started yet. Could anyone give advice as to what I should say to customs - will I be turned away - has anyone been in a similar situation?

I am considering purchasing a return ticket UK - Toronto and making the return before the 1st December as specified in my passport - I am not trying to dodge the system - any advice would be most appreciated. I do have proof of funds.

Thank you
only thing you can do is be honest with them. if you are granted to enter the country they will give you new visitor status.....mostly it is 6 mths....but is up to them to assess that and they have to have valid reason to NOT let you in or give you the 6mths.

personaly i can't see any reason why they wouldn't let you in. ( this is just my opinion)......you are not applying to stay forever when you enter the country..you are applying to come in as a visitor...who then is getting married.....and then apply for a spouse visa to stay..right..?

here is a thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285377

there was another but i can't find it...oh well.i hope that is some help.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Many thanks Maple Leaf, you have made me feel a lot less nervous - sounds like your experience was similar to mine.

Best wishes to you and yours and thanks again.

Karen
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks Maple Leaf, you have made me feel a lot less nervous - sounds like your experience was similar to mine.

Best wishes to you and yours and thanks again.

Karen
Hi Karen
Do you hold just a visitors visa?
Even though my circumstances were completely different, I had a 6 month visitor visa a long time ago when I was travelling Canada and I returned home for a 2 week vist during this time just to visit family and when I returned to Canada (within my visa timeframe) I was told by Customs that because I'd left the country my visa was automatically null and void! Technically I had no visa anymore. After admitting my mistake and Customs viewing my situation, they granted me a new visa.

I don't know what they'll do in your case, but I hope they let you through considering your circumstances. Like anyone on this forum will tell you...JUST BE HONEST AND TELL THE TRUTH, thats all you can do.

Best of luck x
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Unfortunately my father passed away last week after long illness he is now in peace at least.

Just wanted to thank you all for you advice, being honest paid due reward and I was allowed back into Canada without any problems with a new 6 month stamp so we can now focus on our future.

Thanks again.

Karen x
Old Oct 30th 2007, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately my father passed away last week after long illness he is now in peace at least.

Just wanted to thank you all for you advice, being honest paid due reward and I was allowed back into Canada without any problems with a new 6 month stamp so we can now focus on our future.

Thanks again.

Karen x
(((((karen))))) am so sorry to hear of your fathers passing.*hug*

( am happy all went well for you on your retrurn to Canada. i have done the spouse PR route so if i can help you with anything please just ask)

maple leaf~

maple leaf~