Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

H1 B visa holder applying for Canadian Immigration

H1 B visa holder applying for Canadian Immigration

Old Jan 19th 2002, 7:24 pm
Michiganboiler

Hi I work in the US on an H1B visa. Because of the weakening economy and weak job
situation, I might have to leave the US and head back to my native country if I am
laid off and cant find a job within a 10 day grace period. I was planning to apply
for a Candian residency mainly with a view to have a standby just in case I lost my
job and my current US greencard processing would stop too. My question is this, if I
get my fingerprints analysed by the FBI, once when I apply for a canadian residency
and once for an American, is it illegal ? Is it also illegal to apply for two
residencies at the same time? I do not want to break any immigration laws in the
process. Any advise in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks Cheers

Old Jan 20th 2002, 12:41 am
Hello

Please note you cannot retain both PRs..If you get your Canadian PR ahead of US GC -
and you have to land as part of procedure - you may be asked at border that you did
resign from your US employer before being granted entry into Canada. If you lose your
job and go back to your own country - you would still need visa to enter US to go for
Canadian PR interview (unless you get a waiver) - which will be hard - ( to convince
to US Immigration Authorities ). In this case, if you are serious for Canadian PR -
you should go through Canadian Consulate in your native land and typically the
processing takes a year or two.

The good news is it is not illegal to apply for two residencies at the same time -
but you cannot maintain two residencies at the same time.

>
weak
    >
    >
    >
a
    >
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 20th 2002, 3:13 am
Kinga

My husband has H1B in US valid until March 2003. We apply for permanent residency in
Canada [independent category] and we send already our applications to Canadian
Consulate in Buffalo. We got our file number after 6 weeks. Now we are waiting for
medicals to be done. When our case with CIC in Buffalo will be done we wiil move to
Canada and stay over there. We do not apply for the green card in US so it shouldn't
be a problem in our case.

Mr. Miller what do you think about it? Kinga

Old Jan 20th 2002, 3:31 am
Andrew Miller

If this is the case then you shouldn't have any problems. Check your email please.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 20th 2002, 4:26 am
Michiganboiler

Hi

Thanks a lot for ur input. I only wanted to make sure that the FBI would not hesitate
in processing fingerprints twice (once for the Canadian process and once for the
American Greencard process) for legal reasons. I only intend to keep one residency.
Also I believe that in case things turn for the worse, I can always have my case
"MOVED" to my native country for processing, is in not ??

Thanks Michiganboiler

>
weak
    >
    >
    >
a
    >
    >
    >
is
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 20th 2002, 6:39 am
Henrik

"Michiganboiler" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Now that is a typical and blatant H1B case abusing Canadian Immigration system. For
people like this where their intention is just to use Canada as a back-up plan, then
don't whine about refund of the application fee and bad mounth about Canada. Every
country has her greatness and flaws and EVERY country indeed.

Perhaps people like such should be more critical of the US immigration system and
economy because that is where they got laid off and facing the uncertainty of their
future in the US after "legally" (h1b speaking) working in the US, paying US taxes
for a few years and back to square 1 at the end...