GTF list and being a citizen

Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default GTF list and being a citizen

I am a little confused on the whole Goods to follow list.....I understand that you need this when you land even if you only intend to stay a few weeks, return to the UK then return back to Canada at a later date. Some say landing in Vancouver you can get away with not presenting your GTF list until you actually make the move, but that's a risk as it's prob not always the case.

So I am a Canadian by decent, I have my citizenship card, will apply for passport once the new 10 year one is available this summer. I have never set foot in Canada before.

I am looking to go there on holiday which will allow my husband to activate his PR and my baby to become a citizenship once I register him there. I will also be showing intend to stay there as this is a requirement for the PR.

I want to try an avoid the goods to follow list as we plan to return to the UK for maybe 1 or 2 years maybe longer before making the move, we get want to get his PR etc done and dusted. I can make a list but things like jewellery, serial number on electronic goods would prob change in those years.

So I suppose my question is that as I am a citizen do I still need a GTF list? If I do need this then does it need to be presented when my husband and child land, or is is different for citizens and I can present this when we actually make the move?

Any info you guys have on this would be great
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default Re: GTF list and being a citizen

ok so from reading various pages on link below, I can see that citizens do need a goods to follow list so my question is when does this need to be presented when I arrive with my Husband and child for them to land or can I bring it when we all return in 1 or 2 years

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5087-eng.html
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-2-1-eng.html
Just tell CBSA that you are here to do a landing only and that you will produce the GTF when you move over permanently.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply.

I've read so many post saying that people have tried that but have had to hand over there docs, I think it purely depends on who the officer is and what airport you land. Useful links to read over though so thanks

Anyone else in the same set up as me that knows if my husband could hand over a list or say he isn't bringing anything to follow and then when we finally make the move I could hand over a list as I am a citizen
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

email from the border agency below....although from stories I've read this is very rarely the case....most have to present their GTF...but I suppose if I keep my email it might stand in good stead.

A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months.

If these are not your intentions at the time of your landing, please inform the border services officer. In such case, you may wait until you meet the qualification of “entering Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months” before you hand in your list of goods.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about goods to follow and the Form B4 Personal Effects Accounting Document for people settling in Canada. Memorandum D2-2-1 is available at:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-2-1-eng.html

Section 29 Memorandum D2-2-1 states “only goods that were declared and listed as goods to follow on the settler’s original Form B4 are eligible for duty- and tax-free importation at a later time under tariff item No. 9807.00.00. There is no time limit for importing goods to follow that were listed on the settler’s Form B4.”

Therefore only items that are reported and listed as goods to follow on the settler’s original B4 are eligible for duty and tax-free importation at a later date. Any items not included on the original B4 will be subject to duties and taxes at the time they are imported.

For an overview of the laws, restrictions, and entitlements that affect people intending to settle in Canada we encourage you to consult our publication entitled Settling in Canada, found at:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5114-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges may apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” after you have made a selection of one of the 4 menu options.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:33 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Just so you know, Former Lancastrian is a CBSA officer.