Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Growth Hormone Treatment - Our Daughter - Medical???

Growth Hormone Treatment - Our Daughter - Medical???

Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growth Hormone Treatment - Our Daughter - Medical???

Originally Posted by Gray C
I do not know if this helps, but we have been told that her treatment could be anything between 18 months and three years and then no further treatment will be needed.
Oddly enough, for people applying to CIC London now, they are quoting a backlog of over three years.

If the treatment is time limited then it *might* make a difference - but realistically you need the services of an immigration consultant who is familiar with health criteria (not all are) to look into this in detail for you.

Jeremy
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:54 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this site may be of interest to you.
http://www.phcentral.org/features/110102wilson.html

especially this section:

"Special Drugs Program

This program covers out patient drugs for the treatment of specific conditions. It is available to people who are in OHIP and have one of the conditions specified. The program covers:
many drugs for the treatment of cystic fibrosis and thalassemia
AZT, ddl, D.C. and pentamidine for people who are HIV positive
Erythropoietin (E.C.) for people with end stage renal disease
Cyclosporine for people who have had a solid organ or bone marrow transplant
human growth hormone for children with growth failure
Clozapine for treatment of schizophrenia
Alglucerase for people with Gaucher's disease

The program does not have any deductibles or co-payments. If the patient meets the criteria for coverage, he/she does not have to pay for any portion of the treatment.
"

Not sure obviously about whether you'd get past the medicals, but once you have Landed Immigrant status it looks like you may not have to worry about cost of drugs? It was Ontario you were headed??
Old Jan 20th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Theres tons of them supplying the US market. Google for canadian drugs or something like that. Cant recommend any one in particular, sorry

My suspicion is that particular drug brand / combination is not licensed in Canada, so you will have to find an equivalent to ask about.

If you can find a canadian equivalent of the drug, I'll ask Balu our friendly local pharmacist and he will maybe give me a cost if emailing doesnt get you anywhere?
Thanks Iain

I will contact our consultant at Alder Hey to see if he knows what the Canadian equivalent is. I will let you know, as soon as I find out more.

Regards

Graham
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Person will be found medically inadmissible if annual cost of medical treatment within 5 years after landing will exceed average medical expenses for statistical Canadian (currently about $5,500 per year). But remember that prescription drugs and other medications are normally not paid by the Provincial medical plan - they are paid for by patient out of pocket. The only time when Provincial plan covers prescriptions in full or partially is when family has very low income and qualifies for prescription assistance. CIC usually approves cases when medical condition doesn't require any hospitalization and/or surgery or special treatment and is controlled by medication. But even if someone would try to assume that cost of medications should be taken under consideration then most of those hormone drugs for growth hormone deficiency are much cheaper in Canada than anywhere else. I don't know what drugs exactly your daughter is taking but some of them will be taken only for few years while others for the rest of her life or growth period. I did check not long ago for one of my clients (with child with same condition) the cost of their child's prescriptions in Canada - Their current cost of the same prescriptions in their home country exceeds $3,000 per month. I asked my pharmacist and he came up with the total annual cost of $2,900 if the same prescriptions are purchased here in monthly doses or $2,660 if purchased in 3-months doses.

Of course I can't guarantee that you won't have problems, but I suggest checking first with pharmacist in Canada to find out what would be the annual cost of your daughter's prescriptions here.
Your above quote from a few months ago seems to fly in the face of what you are telling me now.

Which comment is correct?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Your above quote from a few months ago seems to fly in the face of what you are telling me now.

Which comment is correct?
I'm not AM but do you know what the physician costs are in Canada for your daughter's consultations? The hormone costs are obviously the biggie, and what everyone's focusing on here, but there are going to be other costs associated, perhaps CIC included these and these topple over the 5k CAD mark?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:04 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm not AM but do you know what the physician costs are in Canada for your daughter's consultations? The hormone costs are obviously the biggie, and what everyone's focusing on here, but there are going to be other costs associated, perhaps CIC included these and these topple over the 5k CAD mark?
I got the impression that this would be an initial consultation to confirm history / diagnosis etc, and then perhaps a follow up appointment or two before stopping the therapy.

As it will all be done with long before there would have been any chance to land I doubt it would be significant?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Our real argument is that by the time we eventually move to Canada, her treatment will have finished, so the cost of the drugs and physicians is irrelevant.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Our real argument is that by the time we eventually move to Canada, her treatment will have finished, so the cost of the drugs and physicians is irrelevant.
I appreciate that, but you'll understand that CIC can't refuse entry to Canada to a legally entitled PR so if they were to have issued you with visas, they can't stop you going to Canada and seeking to continue your daughter's treatment there, regardless of you stating your intentions not to move.

Do you know what the consultation costs would be, excluding medication?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I appreciate that, but you'll understand that CIC can't refuse entry to Canada to a legally entitled PR so if they were to have issued you with visas, they can't stop you going to Canada and seeking to continue your daughter's treatment there, regardless of you stating your intentions not to move.

Do you know what the consultation costs would be, excluding medication?
I do not know about the consultation costs, but back to your earlier point, why would we want to move to Canada and pay up to £300 a week for her treatment drugs if we do not to have to pay here. We are, or should I say were, not that desperate to get to Canada
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:09 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know about the consultation costs, but back to your earlier point, why would we want to move to Canada and pay up to £300 a week for her treatment drugs if we do not to have to pay here. We are, or should I say were, not that desperate to get to Canada
From CICs point of view, if you arent that desperate, then why should they give you a visa at the expense of someone who is desperate? Perhaps they are just looking for any excuse to reject people now in order to get the backlog down.