Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Growth Hormone Treatment - Our Daughter - Medical???

Growth Hormone Treatment - Our Daughter - Medical???

Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Growth Hormone Treatment - Our Daughter - Medical???

Hi

We have an AOR of 23 July 2004, so expect to hear something from CIC by no later than June 2006

Our daughter has been diagnosed as having growth hormone deficiency and started a course of therapy in November 2005 which may last for a couple of years.

From answers from Andrew Miller and several others on this site we have been advised that because the cost of the treatment is expensive we are likely to get a medical refusal for our daughter on the grounds that we will be an unacceptable drain on the Canadian economy.

We accepted our likely fate and have been looking at alternatives, whilst keeping our fingers crossed at the same time that we somehow get in to Canada, by way of miracle.

However, having discussed our daughter's case with her consultant we have heard that he currently has one family who have been accepted to Canada with a son or daughter with a similar case to our own and two others in a similar situation who have been accepted to go to Australia. In each case he has written a letter of support which I assume has been shown to CHC and the Australian equivalent.

Has anyone else heard of anyone that has been accepted to move to Canada, Ozz or NZ, with a child with growth hormone deficiency?

Are we building up our hopes without any real expectations of success or are we looking on the pessimistic side of things

Anyone out there who can advise

Thanks

Graham & Pauline
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:14 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growth Hormone Treatment - Our Daughter - Medical???

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi

We have an AOR of 23 July 2004, so expect to hear something from CIC by no later than June 2006

Our daughter has been diagnosed as having growth hormone deficiency and started a course of therapy in November 2005 which may last for a couple of years.

From answers from Andrew Miller and several others on this site we have been advised that because the cost of the treatment is expensive we are likely to get a medical refusal for our daughter on the grounds that we will be an unacceptable drain on the Canadian economy.

We accepted our likely fate and have been looking at alternatives, whilst keeping our fingers crossed at the same time that we somehow get in to Canada, by way of miracle.

However, having discussed our daughter's case with her consultant we have heard that he currently has one family who have been accepted to Canada with a son or daughter with a similar case to our own and two others in a similar situation who have been accepted to go to Australia. In each case he has written a letter of support which I assume has been shown to CHC and the Australian equivalent.

Has anyone else heard of anyone that has been accepted to move to Canada, Ozz or NZ, with a child with growth hormone deficiency?

Are we building up our hopes without any real expectations of success or are we looking on the pessimistic side of things

Thanks

Graham & Pauline
Hi Graham and Pauline - not sure if it's possible but would your consultant be willing to pass a letter on to his other family? If he would perhaps you could do so and make contact with them to discuss how they went about it?

Just a thought ... good to see that you are taking positive action now - I'm sure it will help to do as much research as you can about this.

Best of luck to you all ..... J
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How does that make sense?, the governement wont even be paying for the drugs unless its a hospital administered prescription?

Insurance coverage will be a problem though as its pre existing, so I would look into the expense issue before going too far.

Good Luck Gray!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jenwren
Hi Graham and Pauline - not sure if it's possible but would your consultant be willing to pass a letter on to his other family? If he would perhaps you could do so and make contact with them to discuss how they went about it?

Just a thought ... good to see that you are taking positive action now - I'm sure it will help to do as much research as you can about this.

Best of luck to you all ..... J
We intend to do this, and hopefully they will get in touch and tell us their particular circumstances.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
How does that make sense?, the governement wont even be paying for the drugs unless its a hospital administered prescription?

Insurance coverage will be a problem though as its pre existing, so I would look into the expense issue before going too far.

Good Luck Gray!
Hi Iain

Whilst I accept that it is a pre-existing condition, it should not be too much of a problem from a medical insurance point of view as it is a condition that can be treated successfully without any lasting long term effects.

What is so frustrating, is that when she attains a reasonable height, she can stop the therapy altogether.

It is just a bad timing issue really
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

amirshahram will become famous soon enough

dear gray
as i know the reason for refusal for medical grounds is based on some needs for extensive funds needed for some deseases which need constant supervising such as mental problems or maybe some surgery needed one`s but(i`m not sure but my point of view) the deficiency which you have mentioned only need frequenty injection of a polypeptide hormone which is relatively accessible and cheap(<10000$ monthly?) nowadays with the help of genetic engineering preparation method and maybe after a short term of using your girl can reach the point that can terminate injection.
anyway you know other successful applications in your situation therefore be hopeful and positive
besides,anyone can not guarantee the permanent residency in any situations,thus live your life as before and only apply and forget thinking about the possibilities as others try to do
best wishes
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amirshahram
dear gray
as i know the reason for refusal for medical grounds is based on some needs for extensive funds needed for some deseases which need constant supervising such as mental problems or maybe some surgery needed one`s but(i`m not sure but my point of view) the deficiency which you have mentioned only need frequenty injection of a polypeptide hormone which is relatively accessible and cheap(<10000$ monthly?) nowadays with the help of genetic engineering preparation method and maybe after a short term of using your girl can reach the point that can terminate injection.
anyway you know other successful applications in your situation therefore be hopeful and positive
besides,anyone can not guarantee the permanent residency in any situations,thus live your life as before and only apply and forget thinking about the possibilities as others try to do
best wishes
Hi

Thanks for your comments and support. However, you state that the hormone drugs are relatively accessible and cheap, but I do not think that $10,000 a month is cheap. Have you added on one too many naughts?

Cheers

Graham
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:39 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Person will be found medically inadmissible if annual cost of medical treatment within 5 years after landing will exceed average medical expenses for statistical Canadian (currently about $5,500 per year). But remember that prescription drugs and other medications are normally not paid by the Provincial medical plan - they are paid for by patient out of pocket. The only time when Provincial plan covers prescriptions in full or partially is when family has very low income and qualifies for prescription assistance. CIC usually approves cases when medical condition doesn't require any hospitalization and/or surgery or special treatment and is controlled by medication. But even if someone would try to assume that cost of medications should be taken under consideration then most of those hormone drugs for growth hormone deficiency are much cheaper in Canada than anywhere else. I don't know what drugs exactly your daughter is taking but some of them will be taken only for few years while others for the rest of her life or growth period. I did check not long ago for one of my clients (with child with same condition) the cost of their child's prescriptions in Canada - Their current cost of the same prescriptions in their home country exceeds $3,000 per month. I asked my pharmacist and he came up with the total annual cost of $2,900 if the same prescriptions are purchased here in monthly doses or $2,660 if purchased in 3-months doses.

Of course I can't guarantee that you won't have problems, but I suggest checking first with pharmacist in Canada to find out what would be the annual cost of your daughter's prescriptions here.

Hi

Thanks

Graham & Pauline
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Person will be found medically inadmissible if annual cost of medical treatment within 5 years after landing will exceed average medical expenses for statistical Canadian (currently about $5,500 per year). But remember that prescription drugs and other medications are normally not paid by the Provincial medical plan - they are paid for by patient out of pocket. The only time when Provincial plan covers prescriptions in full or partially is when family has very low income and qualifies for prescription assistance. CIC usually approves cases when medical condition doesn't require any hospitalization and/or surgery or special treatment and is controlled by medication. But even if someone would try to assume that cost of medications should be taken under consideration then most of those hormone drugs for growth hormone deficiency are much cheaper in Canada than anywhere else. I don't know what drugs exactly your daughter is taking but some of them will be taken only for few years while others for the rest of her life or growth period. I did check not long ago for one of my clients (with child with same condition) the cost of their child's prescriptions in Canada - Their current cost of the same prescriptions in their home country exceeds $3,000 per month. I asked my pharmacist and he came up with the total annual cost of $2,900 if the same prescriptions are purchased here in monthly doses or $2,660 if purchased in 3-months doses.

Of course I can't guarantee that you won't have problems, but I suggest checking first with pharmacist in Canada to find out what would be the annual cost of your daughter's prescriptions here.
Andrew

Thanks for this reply, at least it seems a bit more positive than when I last addressed this matter with you.

I do not know if this helps, but we have been told that her treatment could be anything between 18 months and three years and then no further treatment will be needed.

I will try and find out the cost of her growth hormone drugs by contacting a pharmacist in Canada, but if you have already researched the matter, it may just be that you may know the cost of the particular drug, which is Norditropin 10mg. This may be a trade name but it is made up of (1ml solution contains) Somatropin 6.7mg, mannitol, histidine, poloxamer 188, phenol and water.

She does have the option of another drug, which is a powder mix based drug, if that is cheaper in Canada (sorry I do not know the name of this one though)

Graham
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

sorry,i have made a big mistake
my means was (less than)<10,000$ yearly but not monthly
forgive me
i suppose that this ammount is less now as i have read it in books many years before.
you can find many advertisements for GROWTH HORMONE(SOMATOTROPINE)in spams(illegal email) also therefore i guess it`s not very expensive now.i think you can ask an expert in medical forums or your family doctor about the exact cost.
in some situation also doctors prescribe some other medicines that trigger(induce) secretion of GH in body.
sorry if i don`t have any exact and certain information and not very useful
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not cheap.

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s41570-s-NORDITROPIN.aspx

Sorry, that may be US pricing as it looks like its not available from a canadian source under that brand name. Its not listed here...

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodp...d_index_e.html

you could search there for the active ingreedients and then check out online canadian pharmacies for costs if you find an equivalent.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 20th 2006 at 4:29 am.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Not cheap.

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s41570-s-NORDITROPIN.aspx

Sorry, that may be US pricing as it looks like its not available from a canadian source under that brand name. Its not listed here...

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodp...d_index_e.html

you could search there for the active ingreedients and then check out online canadian pharmacies for costs if you find an equivalent.
I have emailed several pharmacies in Ontario, but none have got back to me yet. Can you suggest an online pharmacy that I can contact?

Thanks

Graham
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:39 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I have emailed several pharmacies in Ontario, but none have got back to me yet. Can you suggest an online pharmacy that I can contact?

Thanks

Graham
Theres tons of them supplying the US market. Google for canadian drugs or something like that. Cant recommend any one in particular, sorry

My suspicion is that particular drug brand / combination is not licensed in Canada, so you will have to find an equivalent to ask about.

If you can find a canadian equivalent of the drug, I'll ask Balu our friendly local pharmacist and he will maybe give me a cost if emailing doesnt get you anywhere?

Last edited by iaink; Jan 20th 2006 at 4:43 am.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Minerva101 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.canadadrugs.com/prescript...izen+5mg/1715/
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

yes you are right,i`m afraid,it`s still very expensive
the others which are advertised are some fake one`s as they are as solution but the real GH is polypeptide that decomposes very easily in solution.
maybe you can find less expensive brands in other places but i find it in this site
but as dear andrew told it is not important to be worry
http://www.canadapharmacy.com/cart/i...OVMTC=standard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.