British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   The green form from US border in UK passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/green-form-us-border-uk-passport-677242/)

ibbye13 Jul 19th 2010 3:54 am

The green form from US border in UK passport

Hi

We went to flagpole today and the immigration officer did not take our green forms which were stapled inside our UK passports. We are planning to go to the US again within 90 days as this is the expiration time for the green forms.

My question is that if we decided not to go to the US within the next 90 days. How do we get rid of the green forms? We understand that no giving back the green forms means that you are still considered being in the US and this can be a source of problem when we decide to go to the US in the future.

The IO told us to leave the forms with the Canadian Border Agency in Calgary. Is that correct? Where is that office in Calgary?

Any advice pls.

iaink Jul 19th 2010 1:42 pm

Re: The green form from US border in UK passport

If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you exit the United States to:
ACS - CBP SBU
1084 South Laurel Road
London, KY 40744

Note, thats Kentucky, not London UK.

Evidence of departure could be something like named and dated credit card receipts etc.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487748

Zoe Bell Jul 19th 2010 1:56 pm

Take a photocopy before you send it back , just for your records.

Jury is still out as to whether they actually do anything with them in kentucky

I had this situation at work

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667985

Sent my boss of with an entire folder of stuff. No one batted a freekin eyelid when she tried to reenter the States.

However you can guarantee the time you don't do something/ come prepared is the time it will bite you

Northernlass1 Jul 19th 2010 3:24 pm

Yes it can come back to bite you...a few years ago my SIL left USA after a trip and returned home to UK. They didn't take out the green card so now everytime she flies into US to visit family she is detained and questioned as to why she has overstayed in the US even though she just flew in from UK!!!!! Last year she went through the procedure to inform them of the error and is still waiting to hear. My advice is sort it out now if you can.

Lethe Jul 19th 2010 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Northernlass1 (Post 8712679)
Yes it can come back to bite you...a few years ago my SIL left USA after a trip and returned home to UK. They didn't take out the green card so now everytime she flies into US to visit family she is detained and questioned as to why she has overstayed in the US even though she just flew in from UK!!!!! Last year she went through the procedure to inform them of the error and is still waiting to hear. My advice is sort it out now if you can.

Definitely sort it out, I didn't hand mine in and noone asked for it so just forgot about it. Despite the fact that I had a one year visa in Canada and a lovely stamp from my entry into Pearson's international annnd had been out of the US for more than a year they pulled me into the immigration office and grilled me about the paper, was pretty scary.

Steve_ Jul 19th 2010 7:15 pm

It is important to send it into Kentucky, but it takes quite a long time for it to hit their system. Remember also to fill in the departure record on the back, a lot of people forget to do this. Sometimes the airline will do it after they take it off you - sometimes not (especially the case with US-Canada flights imx because they're less familiar with them). At land borders I've had CBSA fill it in for me on occasion. To not even notice it's in your passport is a bit lax, first thing I have happen at Coutts is they yank it out and say: "do you want to keep this?" I'm not surprised if you were on a US-Canada flight though, I took a flight once and the agent had never seen one before, she kept asking me what she was supposed to do with it: "I think I saw one in training but I've never had to do this before".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think multiple-entry for the VWP if you depart to Canada is only 30 days anyway, not 90. It's valid for a 90-day stay in the US, with a trip of up to 30 days in a contiguous country.

Zoe Bell Jul 19th 2010 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 8713169)
It is important to send it into Kentucky, but it takes quite a long time for it to hit their system. Remember also to fill in the departure record on the back, a lot of people forget to do this. .

I was under the impression that it took a long time as well but I sent the student in question's one back to kentucky about a week before she travelled and not a word was said at Pearson.

I had armed my boss with proof we had sent it and proof that they had received it :)

castra Jul 19th 2010 10:19 pm

Send it to Kentucky to be safe. Whilst you will probably get into the US, its a pain in the ass having to explain why you have apparently been in the USA since the last time you entered. I crossed into Idaho a couple of years back & had an extended 'chat' with some 'good ol boy' at the gate. I'd been in Florida about eight weeks previous & despite handing in the green slip at Orlando, it hadn't registered in the system. The fact I was entering from Canada & driving a car with BC plates convinced the guard I wasn't an overstayer. :unsure:

The next day I when I returned to Canada, the CBSA guard never even asked to see my passport. About an hour into Canada I realised the b****y green slip was still in there! I posted the wretched thing to the address in Kentucky with a photcopy of a YYC -LHR schedule as proof I'd had left The USA. As I've not been into the US since then I've no idea if the paper clip guru's in Kentucky ever processed it. Time will tell when I next go to the States.

G77 Jul 20th 2010 12:51 am

I've met several people here that routinely just remove them and rip them up and they don't have any issues with a subsequent entry. I've also been told that very few of the ones turned into CBSA actually make it back to the US...

If you don't go back, I'd just take it out and bin it. Do not however under any circumstances go back with an old expired one still in your passport - that would guarantee you a grilling!

Zoe Bell Jul 20th 2010 1:26 am

It's fine to take it out and rip it up if you leave by commercial carrier as they use the passenger manifests to keep track ( I believe the Kentucky link actually says this)

it's only if you cross by private vehicle that it becomes an issue

CanadaJimmy Jul 21st 2010 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 8713896)
It's fine to take it out and rip it up if you leave by commercial carrier as they use the passenger manifests to keep track ( I believe the Kentucky link actually says this)

Thats good to hear, I actually have one sitting in my passport from a flight in 2007... I should probably return it to be on the safe side though I'm not sure if I still have my return ticket anywhere!