Great Opportunity but issues

Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Great Opportunity but issues

Originally Posted by tomcoke
I can't see the forum for that, I can see the Move back to England but not just a UK one in general, could you link it please.
Yes. That would be the Moving Back to the UK forum.
You can use that for talking about tenancy etc.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How come?
Bristol led the way in the 90s with many initiatives for the single, childless homeless with other councils following. Their Deposit Bond scheme succeeded in getting people on benefits or working but low income, into privately rented accommodation, in perfectly nice areas, thanks to relationship with private landlords, without having to pay up front deposits and without references.

I know things are a bit different now compared to then but many of the good people involved still have Housing connections.

I understand the 'waiting list' procedure is different now - something about 'bidding', however that works - but back then if you didn't mind a small flat in an area that others didn't want to live in, single people could get something quite quickly even if not at risk/no priority. Maybe there's a different route to the same end because some people will still not want to live in those areas - while others are perfectly happy there. People could get flats in Hartcliffe, for example, very quickly

But try contacting Shelter....or Bristol Cyrenians if you are in Bristol. These people will know your alternatives better than anyone. And if there's any technical back door to being able to stay on, Shelter will know it.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

tomcoke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. That would be the Moving Back to the UK forum.
You can use that for talking about tenancy etc.
Oh right, I see, thank you.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Bristol led the way in the 90s with many initiatives for the single, childless homeless with other councils following. Their Deposit Bond scheme succeeded in getting people on benefits or working but low income, into privately rented accommodation, in perfectly nice areas, thanks to relationship with private landlords, without having to pay up front deposits and without references.

I know things are a bit different now compared to then but many of the good people involved still have Housing connections.

I understand the 'waiting list' procedure is different now - something about 'bidding', however that works - but back then if you didn't mind a small flat in an area that others didn't want to live in, single people could get something quite quickly. Maybe there's a different route to the same end because some people will still not want to live in those areas - while others are perfectly happy there. People could get flats in Hartcliffe very quickly

But try contacting Shelter....or Bristol Cyrenians if you are in Bristol. These people will know your alternatives better than anyone. And if there's any technical back door to being able to stay on, Shelter will know it.

Thanks, I have been looking up Shelter, I remember on one of the places I worked, we would give out guides on being homeless, (medical services you can get, food, showering, over night stays etc) so I am aware of the amount support you can get while homeless, just not aware of any support before being homeless, minus benefits and such, so going to call a fair few numbers tomorrow during the day.

Last edited by tomcoke; Jan 19th 2017 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I am aware of the amount support you can get while homeless, just not aware of any support before being homeless, minus benefits and such, so going to call a fair few numbers tomorrow during the day.
One of the initiatives was including those faced with impending homelessness. Preventing the problem in the first place.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Sounds good
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick note to say important distinction, OP may identify as living in "Bristol", but the reference to Merlin Housing Society means he almost certainly lives in the bit covered by South Gloucestershire council, so BCC (who are making tens of millions of in-year cuts and looking for reasons not to do anything) likely won't be a lifeline.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Just a quick note to say important distinction, OP may identify as living in "Bristol", but the reference to Merlin Housing Society means he almost certainly lives in the bit covered by South Gloucestershire council, so BCC (who are making tens of millions of in-year cuts and looking for reasons not to do anything) likely won't be a lifeline.
Bristol, BS30, Merlin Housing Society is the one yes, looking online and can't see anything about section 21 to do with Merlin and the housing officer did say I would literally have 28 days (once my gran goes into a home or passes) and I am out and that it isn't their job to rehouse me, when I asked if I would literally be shown to the streets, she said I would.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol, BS30, Merlin Housing Society is the one yes, looking online and can't see anything about section 21 to do with Merlin and the housing officer did say I would figuratively have 28 days (once my gran goes into a home or passes) and I am out and that it isn't their job to rehouse me, when I asked if I would figuratively be shown to the streets, she said I would.
Section 21 refers to the Housing Act 1988, specifically Assured Shorthold Tenancies (what most private renters have), so it won't be relevant to you. Merlin will serve a Notice To Quit when your grandmother is no longer using the home.

Your most useful links right now are at Housing | South Gloucestershire Council and Advice about homelessness | South Gloucestershire Council as Merlin are correct (from their perspective; as noted elsewhere, a tenant who refuses to leave can be very hard to shift, but at that point, best case scenario both sides are in the wrong). I'd suggest you go into/call the Kingswood One Stop Shop today to see if the housing team are available to discuss your options, they may be able to come up with something you or Merlin weren't aware of/hadn't thought applicable.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear the reasons for you wanting to leave the UK, it seems that lots have got good advice to give you about your options for the UK and finding housing there - I'm afraid I know nothing about that.

But from a Canadian visa point of view, you'll need to consider what you would do after the 2 years of an IEC are up, as you may not qualify for PR without skills and further education. And as said above, in the UK you have a safety net with the system there, that won't be the case in Canada, so you might be better off in the UK anyway.

I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide to do, and hope you can get help to find housing in the UK so that you can perhaps plan for Canada in the future.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:56 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Good point.

Worth noting, however, that a service that was arguably more comprehensive to begin with might still be good even with the cuts.

Also worth noting that for different things the rules are not necessarily the same and staff may bend them a bit. Let's say that individually they were flexible in a positive way.