Grandparent Super Visa advice

Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Alabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grandparent Super Visa advice

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice for my mum who is wanting to move to Canada. She tried her luck at the lottery system this year and was unsuccessful so she is revisiting the idea of getting the Super Visa whilst she keeps trying.

She's very sensible and not at all reckless like myself so before she moves she wants me to double check a few details:

1. She is under the impression that on the Supervisa you have to not only reapply every 2 years but possibly return to the UK every 2 years...!?

2. Does anyone have recommendations of where to get health care insurance from?

I suppose health care is her main concern. She's 68 and fit as a fiddle but I know how quickly this can change. She has 2 pensions and enough money to live on so no major financial concerns. She's just worried that she'll get kicked out before the 10 years is up - hopefully the lottery system will have worked in our favour by then.

Any advice that I can relay back to mother dearest would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grandparent Super Visa advice

Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice for my mum who is wanting to move to Canada. She tried her luck at the lottery system this year and was unsuccessful so she is revisiting the idea of getting the Super Visa whilst she keeps trying.

She's very sensible and not at all reckless like myself so before she moves she wants me to double check a few details:

1. She is under the impression that on the Supervisa you have to not only reapply every 2 years but possibly return to the UK every 2 years...!?

2. Does anyone have recommendations of where to get health care insurance from?

I suppose health care is her main concern. She's 68 and fit as a fiddle but I know how quickly this can change. She has 2 pensions and enough money to live on so no major financial concerns. She's just worried that she'll get kicked out before the 10 years is up - hopefully the lottery system will have worked in our favour by then.

Any advice that I can relay back to mother dearest would be much appreciated!

Thanks
If she gets the super visa initially she gets to stay for 2 years. They can apply to extend while in Canada for another 2 years up to a maximum of 10 years in total.
No need to go back to the UK every 2 yrs unless they wish to.
No guarantee you would ever win the lottery for PR status.
Medical insurance can be expensive in later years.

Determine your eligibility – Visit your children or grandchildren
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Alabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond reputeAlabama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I appreciate no g'tee of the lottery but having 10 temporary years here I hope will be better than loneliness in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The SV can be renewed within Canada. It can be renewed online but we renewed ours at the US/Canada border.

We googled...can't remember the name of the company we used. We weren't too bothered about the coverage it offered because we had excellent US healthcare insurance which covered us in Canada. Not that it will probably only cover emergencies...not routine checkups.

Good luck with the new lottery system.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
The SV can be renewed within Canada. It can be renewed online but we renewed ours at the US/Canada border.

We googled...can't remember the name of the company we used. We weren't too bothered about the coverage it offered because we had excellent US healthcare insurance which covered us in Canada. Note that it will probably only cover emergencies...not routine checkups.

Good luck with the new lottery system.
Thank you

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 15th 2017 at 12:59 am. Reason: Typi
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum on a six month visit used a company called Global. Can't remember where they were. Think it was Shere in Surrey. She paid about £500 for 6 months at the age of 84!!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
My Mum on a six month visit used a company called Global. Can't remember where they were. Think it was Shere in Surrey. She paid about £500 for 6 months at the age of 84!!
For the SV a Canadian Insurance company must be used. We had excellent US coverage but it was not acceptable.

GLobal sounds like travel insurance which would be invalid as the OP will not be on holiday and will not be a visitor to,Canada but a Temporary Resident.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 16th 2017 at 3:08 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
For the SV a Canadian Insurance company must be used. We had excellent US coverage but it was not acceptable.

GLobal sounds like travel insurance which would be invalid as the OP will not be on holiday and will not be a visitor to,Canada but a Temporary Resident.
Oh yes, good point!!
Old Aug 20th 2017, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the above, do note that it's not automatic that a SV can be extended for a further 2 years, the renewal could be refused. So if she's not prepared to take the risk of having to return to the UK after 2 years (or 4, 6 etc), then I'd suggest she waits for PR.