British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Grandparent - police checks/background information (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/grandparent-police-checks-background-information-741550/)

Robin (The Gadget family) Dec 10th 2011 8:21 pm

Grandparent - police checks/background information

We have just received a letter from CIC c/o my brother, who is applying to sponsor her, requesting further documents including police checks within 90 days. All very exciting since the sponsorhsip application was submitted back in Jun 2008....

The letter was dated 25th November but was received on 9th December - Go figure WHY it took so long to arrive but that's 2 weeks of the 90 days gone straight away!

My mother is 80 and I am wondering how far back we have to go for police checks?

The thing is, she and my father, (now deceased), lived and cruised on a sailing boat from 1969 til 1979 - cruising the Med and the Caribbean, then from 1984-1992 - cruising the Med again.

During the 5 yr gap in the middle she resided in a Winnebago in Canada c/o various addresses as a visitor, but we don't have to submit a police check for Canada.

I know that there is something written somewhere about police checks being required for any country in which one has resided in for longer than 6 months since the age of 18 yrs old.

Does 'resided' include boats? In the Caribbean for example, we had to leave Grenada every just-under-6-months and get our passports stamped for another visit. I doubt she has all her old passports to prove that though.

We had a PO box in Grenada for our mail which is not an acceptable address for the background information addresses so what do we put? C/O S/Y Kim - cruising the Caribbean, or the Mediterranean as the case was prior to, and after, Canada??

She has now resided in the UK since 1992 so obviously we will need a UK police certificate but what do I do about all the other places that she visited and stayed in on the boat.

I may well have answered my own question in relation to police checks because if they had to leave a place every just under 6 months then she wouldn't need a police certificate. The fact remains that they did remain in Grenada and other islands in the Caribbean, with renewed visitors status, from 1971-1979, which will be on the 'previous addresses' part of the background information so how does she cover that period with previous addresses, if a post box number won't do?

Does anyone have any experience of what to do?

Thanks - Robin

Aviator Dec 10th 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Grandparent - police checks/background information

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family) (Post 9781311)
We have just received a letter from CIC c/o my brother, who is applying to sponsor her, requesting further documents including police checks within 90 days. All very exciting since the sponsorhsip application was submitted back in Jun 2008....

The letter was dated 25th November but was received on 9th December - Go figure WHY it took so long to arrive but that's 2 weeks of the 90 days gone straight away!

My mother is 80 and I am wondering how far back we have to go for police checks?

The thing is, she and my father, (now deceased), lived and cruised on a sailing boat from 1969 til 1979 - cruising the Med and the Caribbean, then from 1984-1992 - cruising the Med again.

During the 5 yr gap in the middle she resided in a Winnebago in Canada c/o various addresses as a visitor, but we don't have to submit a police check for Canada.

I know that there is something written somewhere about police checks being required for any country in which one has resided in for longer than 6 months since the age of 18 yrs old.

Does 'resided' include boats? In the Caribbean for example, we had to leave Grenada every just-under-6-months and get our passports stamped for another visit. I doubt she has all her old passports to prove that though.

We had a PO box in Grenada for our mail which is not an acceptable address for the background information addresses so what do we put? C/O S/Y Kim - cruising the Caribbean, or the Mediterranean as the case was prior to, and after, Canada??

She has now resided in the UK since 1992 so obviously we will need a UK police certificate but what do I do about all the other places that she visited and stayed in on the boat.

I may well have answered my own question in relation to police checks because if they had to leave a place every just under 6 months then she wouldn't need a police certificate. The fact remains that they did remain in Grenada and other islands in the Caribbean, with renewed visitors status, from 1971-1979, which will be on the 'previous addresses' part of the background information so how does she cover that period with previous addresses, if a post box number won't do?

Does anyone have any experience of what to do?

Thanks - Robin

If they lived on the boat and the boat was on the British registry, that would (likely) be considered British soil, it is on an aircraft and as air law if based on maritime law would seem to make sense.

Robin (The Gadget family) Dec 10th 2011 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 9781335)
If they lived on the boat and the boat was on the British registry, that would (likely) be considered British soil, it is on an aircraft and as air law if based on maritime law would seem to make sense.

YAY! thanks.....makes life sooo much easier!

Jim Humphries Dec 10th 2011 9:00 pm

A good example of why things are not so straightforward for visa officers. All you can do is the obvious. State the facts and provide what proof you may have. Some people do keep old passports for example, and letters, photos etc. There may be a request for new PCs including Canada and Grenada or maybe not. Was there any employment in those years. That can perhaps be confirmed with duties, correspondence, and location.

Robin (The Gadget family) Dec 10th 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries (Post 9781349)
A good example of why things are not so straightforward for visa officers. All you can do is the obvious. State the facts and provide what proof you may have. Some people do keep old passports for example, and letters, photos etc. There may be a request for new PCs including Canada and Grenada or maybe not. Was there any employment in those years. That can perhaps be confirmed with duties, correspondence, and location.

Mum and Dad couldn't work officially in the islands on visitors visas from what I recall. Mum was a writer and wrote for British and US magazines which didn't really pay very well. She could submit copies to evidence living on a boat and the lifestyle, as I did to evidence my home education.

Dad was an engineer by profession and put his hand to all sorts of unofficial mechanical and engineering projects on boats to bring in money to support our lifestyle but we had an incredibly frugal upbringing really.

They had a house in the UK that was converted into 3 flats which provided a very small income too.

I'll get mum working on providing some proof of lifestyle to support her application and hope that the UK cert will be enough.

Thanks Jim

tim010 Dec 10th 2011 11:57 pm

Sorry to hijack the post but on a similar matter if someone lived and worked in Australia for three months......returned to the UK for 3 weeks and then returned to live and work there in Oz for a further 5 months does that require a police check as the place was not lived in for longer than 6 months in any one time?

Tim

Robin (The Gadget family) Dec 11th 2011 7:20 am

Originally Posted by tim010 (Post 9781502)
Sorry to hijack the post but on a similar matter if someone lived and worked in Australia for three months......returned to the UK for 3 weeks and then returned to live and work there in Oz for a further 5 months does that require a police check as the place was not lived in for longer than 6 months in any one time?

Tim

Based on my case and my interpretation, I would say no because it wasn't 6 months at a time........