Wikiposts

Grandparent is a Candian citizen

Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

iwantwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Grandparent is a Candian citizen

My partner has a grandparent who is a Canadian citizen but is currently living in the UK. Does that improve our chances or not to immigrating to Canada. Is this likely to give us anymore points?

Any help would be appreciated
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grandparent is a Candian citizen

Originally Posted by iwantwork
My partner has a grandparent who is a Canadian citizen but is currently living in the UK. Does that improve our chances or not to immigrating to Canada. Is this likely to give us anymore points?

You need to be a lot more specific if you want a meaningful answer.

includong:
- which grandparent is it?
- how and when did that grandparent become Canadian?
- when was your partner born, and when was his or her relevant parent born?

Jeremy
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to be a lot more specific if you want a meaningful answer.

includong:
- which grandparent is it?
- how and when did that grandparent become Canadian?
- when was your partner born, and when was his or her relevant parent born?

Jeremy
Its my partners grandfather who was born in Canada and now holds a duel British/Canadian citizenship

My partner was born in 1977, her parents being born in 1954
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:24 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

If relative is not living permanently in Canada then sorry, no extra points.

Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If relative is not living permanently in Canada then sorry, no extra points.
Thanks .... was thinking of finding out whether he has other relatives living there but am guessing maybe that would be too distant.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:55 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks .... was thinking of finding out whether he has other relatives living there but am guessing maybe that would be too distant.
Your partner's relatives who live in Canada are too distantly related to count for anything in the eyes of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

However, it's still worth tracking them down. They may be able to provide useful advice while you're preparing to move to Canada. They may even offer to provide you with short-term accommodation upon your arrival in Canada, if you're heading to the area in which they live.

That happened to us. My husband located an elderly first cousin of his mother who lived in Calgary. She and her husband were very kind to us. They accommodated us for a month while we found jobs and found an apartment to rent.

My husband's blood relative died a couple of years after our arrival in Calgary. However, we stayed in close touch with her widower. When we had children, he became a surrogate grandfather. That was especially welcome in light of the fact that our children's actual grandparents were so far away. He achieved the remarkable feat of living in his own house until his death at the age of 101.

Of course I can't guarantee that your partner's Canadian relatives will embrace the two of you as eagerly as our Canadian relatives embraced us. But I think it's worth a try.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Its my partners grandfather who was born in Canada and now holds a duel British/Canadian citizenship

My partner was born in 1977, her parents being born in 1954
Your partner might have acquired Canadian citizenship at birth if:

- her parent had been registered as Canadian in the 50s; and
- her grandfather did *not* register or naturalise as British before her parent turned 21; and
- her parent did not register or naturalise as British between her 21st birthday and 14th February 1977; and
- if she herself was born on or after 15 Feb 1977

However, the bad news is that even if all of the above applies, she's liable to lose Canadian citizenship on her 28th birthday (ie around now, unless it's already happened). If this applies to her, she needs to visit the CIC website very quickly, although it may be too late to do anything about it.

Other than all that, the other comments on this thread should be useful to you.

Jeremy
Old Aug 16th 2005, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Grandparent is a Candian citizen

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your partner might have acquired Canadian citizenship at birth if:

- her parent had been registered as Canadian in the 50s; and
- her grandfather did *not* register or naturalise as British before her parent turned 21; and
- her parent did not register or naturalise as British between her 21st birthday and 14th February 1977; and
- if she herself was born on or after 15 Feb 1977

However, the bad news is that even if all of the above applies, she's liable to lose Canadian citizenship on her 28th birthday (ie around now, unless it's already happened). If this applies to her, she needs to visit the CIC website very quickly, although it may be too late to do anything about it.

Other than all that, the other comments on this thread should be useful to you.

Jeremy

Thanks for all your help ..... will be looking into all you have mentioned