Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Graduate wanting to work in Canada - what options?!

Wikiposts

Graduate wanting to work in Canada - what options?!

Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Triomphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graduate wanting to work in Canada - what options?!

Hi all,

I'm very sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I've trawled through a fair bit of information and wanted to double check whether things were as bleak as they seem.

I'm a British graduate not long out of university who is looking to go to Canada to join my girlfriend (who is a Canadian citizen). It seems that the only options open to me are either to get a job offer before I go and get the company to process an LMO etc. (which seems like a very lengthy and slightly unlikely option), or I have to wait until January 2014 when the IEC programme opens again.

I was hoping to be able to go over to Canada and find some more casual work for a year or so, for example working in a hotel/restaurant/shop/etc. It seems however that this is near impossible with the employment laws for foreigners in Canada, is this true?

I can't really afford to be hanging around without any income for the months it might take to find a job and then process the LMO. Do I have any other options?

If it helps I'm fluent in English, French and Mandarin Chinese, and I have both British and French nationalities.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graduate wanting to work in Canada - what options?!

Unless you qualify as being married or common law the IEC is your best route unless you wish to study in Canada.
You could enter as a visitor but wouldnt be able to work.
You could try the LMO route or see if you qualify under the FSW or Federal Skilled Trades Work routes but you are still going to be waiting.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

You have come to the right place to ask questions, though be prepared for a few questions in return, lol.

Which Province does your girlfriend live in - and what type of employment are you qualified to do?

Other than marriage or living in a common-law relationship, an IEC working holiday visa would be an easier way to be here - but getting a job offer isn't impossible. There are also the Provincial Nominee's route, most of which normally require a job offer but not an LMO - but some don't even require that (hence the question, where..).

If you can give a little of your background then people will be able to ascertain the likelihood of employment for you.

You do have the advantage of being able to apply for either the UK IEC or the France IEC so your chances of getting on it are pretty good for 2014.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 11th 2013 at 3:03 am.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Triomphe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to both of you for your speedy answers!

She lives in Vancouver, BC, which is where I would like to find work (perhaps obviously). As for what work I'm qualified to do, I've got limited experience as I'm just out of uni but have experience working as a caterer, working as a volunteer at the London Olympics and having worked in a business environment in Beijing. Not sure how far those will get me, but I guess it's a start.

Didn't know I could apply for the IEC twice (once with each country), that's good to know!