Gotta be 19?

Old May 14th 2002, 1:20 pm
Lindsay

Default Gotta be 19?

Through my research, the immigration laws in Canada seem to say that you have to be
19 to sponsor a spouse for PR. How does that make sense, when you only have to be 18
to marry??

Any input on this?

My brother will soon be 18 and is marrying his now-girlfriend shortly after his
birthday. They are trying to decide where they want to live (she is a USC) and it
seems that moving here, to Canada, would be simpler. However, if he cannot file for a
spousal visa for her to come here--is there another way? Can my mother (who resides
in Canada and is a Canadian citizen as well) sponsor her on a family immigration visa
as her "daughter-in-law"?

Any help will be appreciated!!

Old May 15th 2002, 1:20 am
The Wizzard

Default Re: Gotta be 19?

"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Through my research, the immigration laws in Canada seem to say that you have to be
    > 19 to sponsor a spouse for PR. How does that make sense, when you only have to be
    > 18 to marry??
    >

yeah i thought that was strange. the sponsor has to be 19, yet the spouse only has to
be a legal spouse so could be 16. I think however that the new law and therefore the
new regulations are intending to change that to 18. so it could be worth waiting an
extra month or so to see how that works. The mother in law can't sponsor as a
daughter in law, thats not a valid relationship for sponsorship. Im sure there is
some way around it unser humanitarian and compassionate grounds if the sponsor still
meets all the other requirements etc.

Drew

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG