Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

got visa yay! but I've got a question

got visa yay! but I've got a question

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really nice
Smile got visa yay! but I've got a question

I finally got my visa after what felt like ages and after having to scale what seemed like insurmountable problems!

When I got my passport with the visa, it felt like I was in a dream, I really did. I kept checking my passport over and over for days just to make sure the visa was really there :-) So this is how it feels to reach the finish line... Thank You God.

Now I'm a-hustlin' and a-bustlin' to get ready to fly out to Nova Scotia in two weeks! and panic is begining to set in... (by the way, I'm an NSNP nominee) The number one issue now is my flight: I'm booked to fly on Turkish airlines which first lands in Toronto (3 hr stop) and then connects to Halifax. Will this be a problem? As a Nova Scotia provincial nominee, should't my port of entry be somewhere in NS? What sorts of problems could arise from entering Canada through Toronto?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mavis

ps. my abridged time line is something like this:

NSNP application sent 10th October 2008
nominated!! 31st of December 2008

PR application sent to Nairobi CHC 15th Jan 2009
AOR 27th february 2009
Medicals sent 8th September 2009
PPR + RPRF 21st November 2009
Visa!!! 15th December

Last edited by Mavis W; Jan 2nd 2010 at 7:14 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: got visa yay! but I've got a question

Originally Posted by Mavis W
I finally got my visa after what felt like ages and after having to scale what seemed like insurmountable problems!

When I got my passport with the visa, it felt like I was in a dream, I really did. I kept checking my passport over and over for days just to make sure the visa was really there :-) So this is how it feels to reach the finish line... Thank You God.

Now I'm a-hustlin' and a-bustlin' to get ready to fly out to Nova Scotia in two weeks! and panic is begining to set in... (by the way, I'm an NSNP nominee) The number one issue now is my flight: I'm booked to fly on Turkish airlines which first lands in Toronto (3 hr stop) and then connects to Halifax. Will this be a problem? As a Nova Scotia provincial nominee, should't my port of entry be somewhere in NS? What sorts of problems could arise from entering Canada through Toronto?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mavis

ps. my abridged time line is something like this:

NSNP application sent 10th October 2008
nominated!! 31st of December 2008

PR application sent to Nairobi CHC 15th Jan 2009
AOR 27th february 2009
Medicals sent 8th September 2009
PPR + RPRF 21st November 2009
Visa!!! 15th December
Should not be a problem entering through Toronto. As far as I know Turkish don't fly to Halifax, so you are probably using a connecting internal flight with a domestic carrier? This would entail collecting your bags, clearing immigration and customs in Toronto then checking in and getting on your connecting flight. If you are activating PR this may take longer than regular clearance, so make sure there is enough time between flights. If this is still the way you're doing it, three hours is extremely tight, not sure it could be done in this time, especially if the Turkish flight is late. Check with your travel agent.

Turkish are Star Alliance, are you doing the whole flight on Air Canada (booked through Turkish) or just the connection?

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 2nd 2010 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Mavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really niceMavis W is just really nice

Thanks Aviator. I guess 3hrs would be cutting it close. Fortunately (or not) I'm travelling extremely light: no family members, one bag, no goods to follow list... and I plan to dash past all the slow pokes. I might cut some time doing all this (hopefully). If not and I end up missing my connecting flight, it won't be a problem at all booking another flight. And since my ticket cost me next to nothing (Turkish Airlines are dirt cheap) it won't hurt my pocket so much.

In Toronto, I'll connect to Halifax on Air Canada. I have no idea if my travel agent booked with Air Canada first or with Turkish Airlines

Last edited by Mavis W; Jan 2nd 2010 at 8:05 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

It does not matter which province your flight lands in.

If you think about it, there are almost no (non-US) international flights to some provinces (e.g. Saskatchewan, Manitoba, PEI, Newfoundland, New Brunswick). And from Japan, as an example, it is pretty hard to fly non-stop to anywhere but BC and Ontario!

Last edited by bewillow; Jan 4th 2010 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 2:05 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

So that's it, you're landing, travelling extremely light, and not returning to bring anything back to Canada? Only what you're carrying on the flight is everything you're ever going to import to Canada as personal effects? If not then you need a Goods to Follow list or when you bring stuff over you'll be charged duty on them. And for any family members who accompany you later (if any, I don't know your situation.)
Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bewillow, there is actually one flight that flies direct to Halifax from London... it was fully booked and very expensive. But I think this will change in the future due to the rather large influx of immigrants heading to Nova Scotia.

Ben, as hard as it is to believe, indeed it's true: I have no goods to follow neither do I have any family members. In fact all I'm taking with me is a duffle bag and ruck-sack :-) I have a very short goods accompanying list - I might not need form B4a (continuation sheet).

Last edited by Mavis W; Jan 7th 2010 at 7:58 pm.