Got some study to do..IELTS

Old Oct 25th 2018, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

RGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got some study to do..IELTS

As a data point, I have an advanced degree in linguistics and I only barely passed the IELTS test. 9.0 for speaking and listening and (I think) 6.5 and 7.0 for writing and reading. I only did the bare minimum to prepare for it, and that was a mistake considering how bizarre and unnatural some of the questions are.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 11:07 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RGH80
As a data point, I have an advanced degree in linguistics and I only barely passed the IELTS test. 9.0 for speaking and listening and (I think) 6.5 and 7.0 for writing and reading. I only did the bare minimum to prepare for it, and that was a mistake considering how bizarre and unnatural some of the questions are.
It's an odd test format.

I took my test at the University of Manchester. The listening test is taken in a room with around 10-15 other candidates and the test is played out over a speaker system. I've heard that other countries use a headphone system where each candidate has his/her own headphones. The amount of coughing and sneezing I encountered was more than off-putting! Luckily I managed to get 8.5 on that section.

I studied the Academic versions and the general. I found the academic reading and writing a lot easier. I think after years of study your brain is wired differently to tackle certain academic issues. The IELTS test seems to throw that upside down and start the re-learning process.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 4:13 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not going in with English Confidence in a victory (sorry footy fans...). Currently sat in a coffee shop loading up a reading paper to test myself. If I can do it with distractions then hopefully I'll be able to do it in more controlled circumstances.

I hate tests! Even if I pass this the next hurdle is getting a company willing to jump through the fiery hoops of doom to help out. That's a lot harder, methinks...
Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:19 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
Certainly not going in with English Confidence in a victory (sorry footy fans...). Currently sat in a coffee shop loading up a reading paper to test myself. If I can do it with distractions then hopefully I'll be able to do it in more controlled circumstances.

I hate tests! Even if I pass this the next hurdle is getting a company willing to jump through the fiery hoops of doom to help out. That's a lot harder, methinks...
I'm sure you'll be fine. Practice is key for this one.

Just make sure your ready for the 'Yes, No, Not Given' sections in the reading tests. That's where you really start pulling your hair out!

Time yourself for each section also. Once your brain is in gear for them you'll start seeing results.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 5:56 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute

just been working my way through various online tests and some of the site are a shambles. one has test papers and links to the answers that go to a 404 page! another one has links to general tests that click onto academic test papers... grrrrrrrrrrrrr another one you have to register for, so I do, finish a test and click submit to get results and it's logged me out so logging back in means I've lost my test.

double grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I will persevere...
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:48 am
Knight of Constantinople

Originally Posted by theotherlebowski
just been working my way through various online tests and some of the site are a shambles. one has test papers and links to the answers that go to a 404 page! another one has links to general tests that click onto academic test papers... grrrrrrrrrrrrr another one you have to register for, so I do, finish a test and click submit to get results and it's logged me out so logging back in means I've lost my test.

double grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I will persevere...
My main site I used was: https://www.afarinesh.org/cambridge-...free-download/

It's an Iranian site but had the free Cambridge General Tests (I don't think that they are supposed to share but that's Cambridge Press' problem!). Once you figure out the site it is fairly simple. The coding is 'right to left' as that's the way the local population reads. Tests are easy to download in pdf format. I printed all mine out as I prefer the paper version (old fashioned but easier on the eyes). If you want to print the a copy then upload the pdf to a google drive and then print from there. It will download a copy with the security features removed. I printed the Cambridge IELTS 13 General the other day. The margin sizes and printer text was way off. I had to print each page one by one. A real pain but worth a little hassle.

If you go through Google Chrome it will automatically translate the page for you or right click and 'translate to english'. Alternatively, get a copy of the test via Amazon. There are plenty of second hand versions out there. Ensure that you use the versions after Cambridge 8. They are what you will get on the test date. The older versions seem to be a slightly different format.

Let me know if you get any issues.